Overclock.net banner
16421 - 16440 of 18211 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have not even pushed my 3090 Kingpins memory to the limits yet +1300 was absolutely fine, and continued to result in a higher PR score. It seems to be good memory. After I get done with work at home, I’m gonna push it to the max and see where it stops at. I will go for +1500 next PR run.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Deleted

·
Registered
624 Posts
You know KP might have higher bin memory or higher voltage for the memory so you don't see the perfomrance loss early at high OC. But shouldn't be put under ECC label :)
I'm not exactly disagreeing with you as I don't really know what they have, but I've definitely seen my 3080ti fall off in performance without crashing when increasing mem OC. Why does that happen if not ECC?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm not exactly disagreeing with you as I don't really know what they have, but I've definitely seen my 3080ti fall off in performance without crashing when increasing mem OC. Why does that happen if not ECC?
Memory OC is using more power, leaving less for core boost.

·
Old crazy guy
3,535 Posts

·
Gamer and overclocker !
2,420 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
sorry if this might be covered somewhere, there's over 800 pages to go through.
These new vBIOS's, do they come pre-patched for Resizeable Bar?

·
Registered
209 Posts
GDDR6X uses "Error Detection and Replay" which allows the memory controller to detect a transmission error and retry the transaction. The purpose of this is primarily in correcting signal integrity issues that can result from running at such high clocks (especially in overclocking). This is a great feature but is also why performance suffers when you overclock too high.

This differs a bit from ECC in that ECC adds additional information storage and will pick up on errors that occur in the memory array. Sometimes memory bits flip due to things like "single event upsets". ECC can correct for this as well as for some types of transmission errors. EDR is only functional during the process of memory reading / writing rather than also during storage.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I tried the resizeable bar bios on my 3090 Kingpin yesterday. Mainly due to the hype surrounding this whole resizeable bar thing, and I wanted to post this and say, make sure you test your systems performance before and after, (if you are required to perform a bios update on your mainboard too)

I switched over to (1of3) preinstalled bios on my X299 Dark motherboard. I selected bios 1.28V and enabled the proper options in the bios to enable this resizeable bar. Then I updated my 3090KP to the resizeable bar bios as well through PX1. I don’t really have any games that support this, but I am not 100% sure either.

The problem with resizeable bar is that, your required to use a newer bios on X299 chipset. Well, in my case the bios 1.28v on my x299 dark just sucks terribly. It updates my cpu microcode to a newer version that idles hotter and runs slower due to the intel security vulnerabilities.

So I have always ran an older XOC 1.05 bios for my X299 dark and direct die 5Ghz 7980XE, which is prior to the vulnerabilities patch.

It makes no sense how a drastically newer bios by years can make my cpu run hotter, and slower, and put out multithreaded performance scores that are just drastically worse..

So, reaizeable bar just isn’t for me! (Or not on this platform)

I am essentially giving up 250-300Mhz worth of cpu performance from the newer bios microcode that is required to enable reaizeable bar on the 3090Kingpin (Just to potentially see better performance in games that support resizeable bar) it’s the stupidest thing ever lol.

My 7980XE performance at 4,700Mhz on the older XOC bios can slam my cpu at 5,000Mhz on the newer bios. What sense does that even make lol?

Evga needs to step up the bios game on the X299 Dark, and release a new bios. I don’t care how old this platform is. I spit out the same IPC per clock as a stock 10900K (As we all know intel hasn’t done much since 2017) and then on top of that, my system memory latency at sub 48ns is still better than even ryzens X570 platform.

If you guys are enabling to resizeable bar. Check your before and after numbers for all components. Especially on x299 platform.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I tried the resizeable bar bios on my 3090 Kingpin yesterday. Mainly due to the hype surrounding this whole resizeable bar thing, and I wanted to post this and say, make sure you test your systems performance before and after, (if you are required to perform a bios update on your mainboard too)

I switched over to (1of3) preinstalled bios on my X299 Dark motherboard. I selected bios 1.28V and enabled the proper options in the bios to enable this resizeable bar. Then I updated my 3090KP to the resizeable bar bios as well through PX1. I don’t really have any games that support this, but I am not 100% sure either.

The problem with resizeable bar is that, your required to use a newer bios on X299 chipset. Well, in my case the bios 1.28v on my x299 dark just sucks terribly. It updates my cpu microcode to a newer version that idles hotter and runs slower due to the intel security vulnerabilities.

So I have always ran an older XOC 1.05 bios for my X299 dark and direct die 5Ghz 7980XE, which is prior to the vulnerabilities patch.

It makes no sense how a drastically newer bios by years can make my cpu run hotter, and slower, and put out multithreaded performance scores that are just drastically worse..

I am essentially giving up 250-300Mhz worth of cpu performance from the newer bios microcode that is required to enable reaizeable bar on the 3090Kingpin (Just to potentially see better performance in games that support resizeable bar) it’s the stupidest thing ever lol.

My 7980XE performance at 4,700Mhz on the older XOC bios can slam my cpu at 5,000Mhz on the newer bios. What sense does that even make lol?

Evga needs to step up the bios game on the X299 Dark, and release a new bios. I don’t care how old this platform is. I spit out the same IPC per clock as a stock 10900K (As we all know intel hasn’t done much since 2017) and then on top of that, my system memory latency at sub 48ns is still better than even ryzens X570 platform.

If you guys are enabling to resizeable bar. Check your before and after numbers for all components. Especially on x299 platform.
I would have stayed with the xoc 1kw bios if cyberpunk wasn't stuttering on it. Once I went to the 520w rbar, stuttering gone, but lower clocks.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Silicon lottery, plus OC skills ;)

As for the Palit,

Can’t speak on the component quality, but if you shunt mod and flash 1000w bios, your temperatures should be decent enough to get close to 15.8-16K.

These cards need more power and controlled temps (duh, I know) to raise the clocks.. My 16k runs were reaching 650-690w from the GPU

I’ve had great runs where the temperature reached up to 67c. (When the KP had the AIO on it)

Try those suggestions or wait for winter ❄ Lol

Hi there

Yup Silicon Lottery hahaha and I lost it on both GPUs which I expected hahaha and my OC skills I would day they are not bad although I can't measure myself against the best here

15.2k or 15.3k I think there I have with XOC 1000W BIOS on my RTX 3090 but that's it and temperatures now are out of hand, currently we are baking in 30's and without air conditioning right now I'm not able to control temperatures

No shunt mod for me as I'm chicken with that, I will be not doing that to my GPUs for time being

Don't have for comparison Strix or Kingpin with which I would love to compare

I use my PC for rendering and some gaming but mostly GPUs are running XOC 1000W BIOS capped at 75% for rendering with +105MHz on core and +1295MHz on VRAM on top and bottom with 1100MHz

Thanks for last time you offered me to buy yours Strix, really appreciate for that

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I would have stayed with the xoc 1kw bios if cyberpunk wasn't stuttering on it. Once I went to the 520w rbar, stuttering gone, but lower clocks.
The stuttering is more than likely your card just bouncing off the temp and voltage limits. It causes massive latency spikes

·
Registered
817 Posts
The stuttering is more than likely your card just bouncing off the temp and voltage limits. It causes massive latency spikes
On the 1kw bios? Most likely not because when I use that bios, the clock/volt stay put when I have the PL set to like 60% and above.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts

Using res bar on my Asus x299 Apex now.
3dmark working pretty good with this soon 4 year old cpu :p
3090 hof on air.

Ps: hof 1000w bios without rebar, but the rebar bios.

Any games I should test with 500/520w rebar bios?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Using res bar on my Asus x299 Apex now.
3dmark working pretty good with this soon 4 year old cpu :p
3090 hof on air.

Ps: hof 1000w bios without rebar, but the rebar bios.

Any games I should test with 500/520w rebar bios?

I didn’t say the bios didn’t work in my X299 Dark. I just said it’s not worth it. The above numbers you posted are not where the problem is. It’s CPU prowess that goes down. Blender times, render times, R15/R20/R23 power in multithreaded loads.

My system is absolutely tuned out. I just have a problem with that newer microcode that bogs up the CPU.

You can try R15/R20/R23. With the newer bios vs the older bios. Maybe that’ll explain things some.

• Rep+
Reactions: Nizzen

·
Invalid Media
4,786 Posts
A quick confirmation re. 'delays' after switching over vBios via the little toggle switch (ie. on my Strix OC) - it seem to take two or three reboots (even after initial 'cold' reboot) for various monitoring software and Win 10 to correctly recognize and identify 'the other' vBios. I'm running the stock Strix OC v3 r_BAR on one vBios and the KPE 520 r_BAR on the other.

Also, I am using a slightly modified stock backplate on my Strix (mod re. PCIe cable clearance w/ w-block for the front of the GPU). Apart from that, I only re-pasted the rear VRAM and my VRAM temps are around 63 C at 23 C ambient...While I have all the items for a w-cooled custom back-plate setup, I'm wondering if the temp gains are worth the extra plumbing as my VRAM temps seem reasonable ?

FYI, my last Timespy score on stock Strix vBios from back in late April...haven't even updated TS w/ KPE 520 yet as I've been working on the 5950X and its new RAM kit. Best TS CPU score also below, afair it's either 4750 or 4800 all-c

·
Registered
135 Posts
@J7SC those ambient temps are fine, what's it like under your average gaming load? For example my VRAM under gaming load maxes out around 74ish C, which is absolutely fine and well within parameters, using the EKWB passive backplate, so I have no urge to move to the Active. If yours are similar I wouldn't worry about it unless you're really chasing those ultra ultra 3D mark scores.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Which version do you have, premium or regular?
Regular :(
Only one avaiable.
I wanted the lcd, but impossible to buy

16421 - 16440 of 18211 Posts