Overclock.net banner
16441 - 16460 of 16550 Posts

·
Invalid Media
4,399 Posts
@J7SC those ambient temps are fine, what's it like under your average gaming load? For example my VRAM under gaming load maxes out around 74ish C, which is absolutely fine and well within parameters, using the EKWB passive backplate, so I have no urge to move to the Active. If yours are similar I wouldn't worry about it unless you're really chasing those ultra ultra 3D mark scores.
...it's a hybrid gaming - productivity system rather than an ultra-cubed 3DM benchmark chaser...Still, Blender & Co can heat things up, never mind CP2077 and FS2020 (at least if you play it in a long session). VRAM stays in the mid-60 C with those, what with a water-cooled GPU front and a TT Core P8 'max airflow' case. That case also has another system in it with a 6900 XT (that one for daily work / productivity plus a bit of gaming), and that card is incidentally nibbling on the 3090 Strix OC GPU results in TimeSpy...But DLSS and Ray Tracing titles are a different matter...

·
Registered
48 Posts
...it's a hybrid gaming - productivity system rather than an ultra-cubed 3DM benchmark chaser...Still, Blender & Co can heat things up, never mind CP2077 and FS2020 (at least if you play it in a long session). VRAM stays in the mid-60 C with those, what with a water-cooled GPU front and a TT Core P8 'max airflow' case. That case also has another system in it with a 6900 XT (that one for daily work / productivity plus a bit of gaming), and that card is incidentally nibbling on the 3090 Strix OC GPU results in TimeSpy...But DLSS and Ray Tracing titles are a different matter...
Yep I'm in the same boat, using mine for gaming + game dev, I think those temps are absolutely fine, I wouldn't bother changing a thing in your position (and yep, CP2077 is an absolute bonecrusher for OC stability...!).

·
Registered
347 Posts
A quick confirmation re. 'delays' after switching over vBios via the little toggle switch (ie. on my Strix OC) - it seem to take two or three reboots (even after initial 'cold' reboot) for various monitoring software and Win 10 to correctly recognize and identify 'the other' vBios. I'm running the stock Strix OC v3 r_BAR on one vBios and the KPE 520 r_BAR on the other.

Also, I am using a slightly modified stock backplate on my Strix (mod re. PCIe cable clearance w/ w-block for the front of the GPU). Apart from that, I only re-pasted the rear VRAM and my VRAM temps are around 63 C at 23 C ambient...While I have all the items for a w-cooled custom back-plate setup, I'm wondering if the temp gains are worth the extra plumbing as my VRAM temps seem reasonable ?

FYI, my last Timespy score on stock Strix vBios from back in late April...haven't even updated TS w/ KPE 520 yet as I've been working on the 5950X and its new RAM kit. Best TS CPU score also below, afair it's either 4750 or 4800 all-c
I didn't think the bios switch even worked on my 3080ti FTW3. I would shut the machine down, flip the switch, power up. No change to the bios. Then I discovered if I flip the switch with the machine just running in Windows and do a warm boot it would switch correctly every time. May not be the same for you Strix, but i was contrary to what I had read in regards to switching.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Kingpin Hydro Copper tracking shows 07/22! I‘m so ready to get this 3090kp on custom loop.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
Kingpin Hydro Copper tracking shows 07/22! I‘m so ready to get this 3090kp on custom loop.
Maybe Optimus will release their Kingpin block that comes standard with a water-cooled active backplate by then? I'd hold out for it even if it isn't out. They make the best GPU blocks you can buy!!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Regular :(
Only one avaiable.
I wanted the lcd, but impossible to buy
Do we have the same system memory?

I run the GSkill Royal-Z 4000CL15 1.5v XMP 4x8GB kit.

The default XMP profile is 4000Mhz 15-16-16-36 @1.5V (Excellent bdie quad channel kit)

I saw your timings and thought how familiar it looked lol. Because, I run nearly the same timings lol. Only difference is, I run them at 4,000Mhz 15-16-16-32-290-1T Tfaw at 23. They really rip too! HCI memtest stable.

My 7980XE’s IMC seems to clap out, and start dropping channels around 4,160-4,180Mhz. So i’m certainly good with my timings and current frequency.

My uncore voltage is like 1,450 by auto. (That’s about +535 or so)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've seen a guy that put thermal+putty + Thermalright Thermal Pad on his 3090 Strix and managed to stay in low 60s while mining with a single 280mm radiator.
That is insane.
I didn't know about this thermal putty + thermalpads combo people have been using. I just blocked my Zotac 3090 with Bykski's active backplate and had amazing drops to 80~84c memory junction with 40c water temp. I managed to overclock past 1500mhz in the memory which was previously impossible. I was wondering if it will be worthy opening my block up and adding Putty when the summer hits here in Brasil.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts

The default XMP profile is 4000Mhz 15-16-16-36 @1.5V (Excellent bdie quad channel kit)

I saw your timings and thought how familiar it looked lol. Because, I run nearly the same timings lol. Only difference is, I run them at 4,000Mhz 15-16-16-32-290-1T Tfaw at 23. They really rip too! HCI memtest stable.

My 7980XE’s IMC seems to clap out, and start dropping channels around 4,160-4,180Mhz. So i’m certainly good with my timings and current frequency.

I always make a full drive backup with Macrium Reflect Free, full featured, no need to pay, after I get my O/S setup and tweaked the way I like with all the drivers installed and standard programs and games I use.

Takes a few minutes to back it up to my secondary M.2, but I only have Diablo 3 installed for now.

You install Reflect, make a boot USB in Other Tasks, the USB needs to be formatted MBR, but boots from UEFI too, boot from USB, image your drive to a secondary drive, SSD or M.2.

Restore it from the boot USB too.

Then when testing memory overclocks, benching, all that, I get freezes or BSODs, takes me a few minutes to restore my Windows, including the boot partitions, no more reinstalling Windows at all. :)

You can even uninstall the program with Revo Uninstaller (you do use Revo, right, I swear by it!) and just keep the boot USB. 🐺

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
I've seen a guy that put thermal+putty + Thermalright Thermal Pad on his 3090 Strix and managed to stay in low 60s while mining with a single 280mm radiator.
That is insane.
I didn't know about this thermal putty + thermalpads combo people have been using. I just blocked my Zotac 3090 with Bykski's active backplate and had amazing drops to 80~84c memory junction with 40c water temp. I managed to overclock past 1500mhz in the memory which was previously impossible. I was wondering if it will be worthy opening my block up and adding Putty when the summer hits here in Brasil.
That reminds me, I need to install my EKWB active backplate before I go to bed, then leak test it outside my PC overnight.

I've had it a few weeks, but it's a bit complicated and my motivation to get it done is not super high right now. :(

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I installed the hydro copper block. The block is okay not that great but it’s the only one available at the moment for the KP cards. The block has a 14C delta. I can get it to stay around 45-46C when pulling 500W+ but it requires a strong water cooling setup.
When you installed the Hydrocopper block, did you use the pre-installed thermal pads and paste?

·
Registered
345 Posts
That is insane.
Seems totally plausible to me. I have a Strix with a Bykski block (non active backplate) with Thermalright Odyssey pads and a 4 DIMM RAM block attached to the backplate with Arctic Silver thermal epoxy.

With 27C coolant my VRAM is at 68C mining.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Maybe Optimus will release their Kingpin block that comes standard with a water-cooled active backplate by then? I'd hold out for it even if it isn't out. They make the best GPU blocks you can buy!!

Optimus watercooling is awesome. But the 22nd is in (3 days when it’ll be delivered lol)

I am 100% happy with getting a EVGA Kingpin Hydro Copper waterblock at MSRP. I already purchased it, and it’ll be delivered on Wednesday.

I’m gonna use pressure sensitive micro film to ensure perfect contact everywhere thermal paste or pads is located. I’m going to use LM or KPx not sure yet. Every 0.9C or 1.2C or 2.9C less LOL temps really count here. I want

With proper mount and contact I think the block can potentially do very well. Plus, it’s practically here. Just a few more days... Im excited about it, and mostly ready to get this big KP 360mm AIO off of this Kingpin and back in the KP box. This big AIO rad is just hanging out of my case with no door. I can’t fit a 4th 360 rad inside my case unfortunately.

·
Invalid Media
4,399 Posts
Optimus watercooling is awesome. But the 22nd is in (3 days when it’ll be delivered lol)

I am 100% happy with getting a EVGA Kingpin Hydro Copper waterblock at MSRP. I already purchased it, and it’ll be delivered on Wednesday.

I’m gonna use pressure sensitive micro film to ensure perfect contact everywhere thermal paste or pads is located. I’m going to use LM or KPx not sure yet. Every 0.9C or 1.2C or 2.9C less LOL temps really count here. I want

With proper mount and contact I think the block can potentially do very well. Plus, it’s practically here. Just a few more days... Im excited about it, and mostly ready to get this big KP 360mm AIO off of this Kingpin and back in the KP box. This big AIO rad is just hanging out of my case with no door. I can’t fit a 4th 360 rad inside my case unfortunately.
...I would also first see how the EVGA Kingpin Hydro Copper waterblock is going to perform before dismissing it.

Re. double-sided VRAM and back-plate temps, I just got the items below (el cheapo @ Amazon)...several other folks here also use those big heat spreaders (do check for clearance though re. RAM sticks). I haven't mounted them yet on either the 3090 or BigNavi, but Thermalright puts out oversized / extra-wide 12.8W/mk sheets which seem to work with it....at worst, it will be a $30 bad idea, at best, it will improve on my already decent VRAM temps...and as mentioned before, I do have some extra 'universal GPU blocks' I could mod for active back-plate cooling if need be...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
...I would also first see how the EVGA Kingpin Hydro Copper waterblock is going to perform before dismissing it.

Re. double-sided VRAM and back-plate temps, I just got the items below (el cheapo @ Amazon)...several other folks here also use those big heat spreaders (do check for clearance though re. RAM sticks). I haven't mounted them yet on either the 3090 or BigNavi, but Thermalright puts out oversized / extra-wide 12.8W/mk sheets which seem to work with it....at worst, it will be a $30 bad idea, at best, it will improve on my already decent VRAM temps...and as mentioned before, I do have some extra 'universal GPU blocks' I could mod for active back-plate cooling if need be...

View attachment 2518033

View attachment 2518034
Oh if Optimus drops a super good waterblock, then yeah for sure. But at this point, even at the MSRP pricing I paid, I have $2,499 in to a video card and waterblock with taxes lol. I’m gonna force my self to be happy with it lol.

3090KP $2,090
KP Hydro copper block $300
Then sales tax, shipping.

I have never stepped in to such extreme realm of PC parts. And what’s funny is that I feel like I got a great deal, and would easily do it all over again!

OMG PC community is in trouble as of the year 2021. Im an average guy, not rich by any means. Can you imagine if the past PC community from like 2016-2017 could talk to the PC community from now?

LOL.

·
Invalid Media
4,399 Posts
(....)
...PC community is in trouble as of the year 2021. Im an average guy, not rich by any means. Can you imagine if the past PC community from like 2016-2017 could talk to the PC community from now?

LOL.
...or the PC community from 2025-2026 talk to the enthusiasts from 2021 ;)

...while the same measurable performance re. a given benchmark will be cheaper 'per fps', the top end stuff operates on a ratchet-$ effect, IMO...NVidia and AMD now know that they can sell $2,400 GPUs EzPz

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yep it's always been the case that any company's "halo" offerings provide vastly diminishing returns, this is I think more true in 2021 than at any previous point in modern GPU history, but it's always been there, even back in the Voodoo days.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts

I'm using some old 3600c15 trident-z :)

• Rep+
Reactions: tps3443
16441 - 16460 of 16550 Posts