Overclock.net banner
16481 - 16500 of 16551 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have micro thin pressure film to confirm good contact and pressure being applied to components and the die of the 3090KP. The film is designed to turn red within normal mounting pressure of computer heatsinks and waterblocks. And you can find out exactly where the pressure is high or low at, and exactly how much pressure is being applied to that area.

I can get the mount right without running the card. Im just a little confused on thermal pad thickness, and what I should actually order?

Some say 1-2mm. And evga says 2-3mm.

Then others specify something entirely different. I’m lost lol. And I keep getting different answers.

I would rather not order 0.5-1-2-3-4-5mm thick thermal pads all at the same time due to waste and cost.

I was hoping to narrow this down to
Prob a good idea to get a digital caliper and measure your pcb components / block.
I don't have KP or hydro copper, but from this picture it's flat for the core / mem.
For memory I'll be suprised if 0.5mm or 1mm will reach those components.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Based on this post

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/oollg4
It seems mostly affects EVGA FTW3 3090 models, though seems some Gigabyte models are affected too.

And, by exactly this comment

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/oollg4/_/h5zkrkl
"edit: Some users in nwg sub reporting ASUS 3080 water loop, MSI 3080 Suprim and EVGA 3080 FTW3 having similar issues... Maybe more likely to happen to triple 8 pin cards?"
Didn't even know this game existed. I signed up for beta, not sure if it's open.

It's strange how a simple game could brick cards. This guy was told to use a 'stable' vbios

·
Gamer and overclocker !
2,132 Posts
Hey, I just saw the news about the New World game that seems to break a lot of EVGA FTW3 cards. Has anyone tried it on Strix or Kingpin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Try it and let us know 😂

• Haha
Reactions: newls1

·
Facepalm
10,020 Posts
Didn't even know this game existed. I signed up for beta, not sure if it's open.

It's strange how a simple game could brick cards. This guy was told to use a 'stable' vbios

View attachment 2518285
If you preorder the game you get beta access.

·
Registered
Overclocking - latest technology
345 Posts
Try it and let us know
I have a virgin strix! Waiting for the active backplate!!! I don’t want to try it on air

·
SAY AMBIENT AGAIN! SAY IT
231 Posts
Ugh... Glad I passed on the 3090 FTW when my queue number came up, with the various issues that card has experienced. Apparently this is happening with at least one of the Gigabyte 3090's as well, not sure which one though.
I wanted the Strix but this came up in the EVGA queue first and Asus' website is a dumpster fire. I'm happy with it now that I have my optimus block but still upset I had to spend over $200 in shipping fees for RMAs ultimately resulting from an insufficient voltage controller.

·
Facepalm
10,020 Posts
Anyone with a shunt modded (non EVGA) card or the Kingpin card, (with MSVDD jumpers enabled) or Galax / Kingpin XOC Bioses, or a Strix and who has beta access (or a preorder, which locks you into the beta) for that New World game want to see if their card can handle unlocked FPS and shunt/bios mods? If Quake 2 RTX and Timespy Extreme doesn't kill the card...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
My 3090 KP seems to have some great memory on it! I managed to squeeze a +17% memory bandwidth increase on top of the already fast 936.2GB bandwidth.

Still tweaking at it. Hydro Copper block will be delivered today.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 3090 KP seems to have some great memory on it! I managed to squeeze a +17% memory bandwidth increase on top of the already fast 936.2GB bandwidth.

Still tweaking at it. Hydro Copper block will be delivered today.
My FTW3 makes 1070.6 GB/s.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I have a virgin strix! Waiting for the active backplate!!! I don’t want to try it on air

Asus Strix 3090 can't die of this ;)

·
Old School Overclocker !
383 Posts
It seems the flaw of some rtx 3090 designs are showing up now with this game :/ . mostly evga rtx 3090s are the ones dying left and right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I have been down the rabbit hole looking for a solution to fit a 3090 FE in my case. I have two PCI-e slots, but the card is 3 slot, namely a 3090 Founder Edition (so that means non-reference PCB). I kind of want to mod my 3090 FE so that it will fit. I am at the point of taking a iron saw and making it fit but I prefer to keep the original parts in-tact. So what I need is a two slot i/o plate that would fit fit the 3090 FE. I have searched the Chinese sellers and they only sell reference editions (very poor product descriptions); Nvidia wont give/sell me one. The water block sales people wont have one that would be screwed in the PCB and I have not found anyone that would sell me their old 3-slot FE i/o plate. Can anyone help me find a solution to this crazy problem, why did Nvidia make the 3090 3-slot. Makes no sense.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The FE water blocks come with 2 slot brackets, reach out to the companies selling them to see if you can buy just a bracket.

So, I have been down the rabbit hole looking for a solution to fit a 3090 FE in my case. I have two PCI-e slots, but the card is 3 slot, namely a 3090 Founder Edition (so that means non-reference PCB). I kind of want to mod my 3090 FE so that it will fit. I am at the point of taking a iron saw and making it fit but I prefer to keep the original parts in-tact. So what I need is a two slot i/o plate that would fit fit the 3090 FE. I have searched the Chinese sellers and they only sell reference editions (very poor product descriptions); Nvidia wont give/sell me one. The water block sales people wont have one that would be screwed in the PCB and I have not found anyone that would sell me their old 3-slot FE i/o plate. Can anyone help me find a solution to this crazy problem, why did Nvidia make the 3090 3-slot. Makes no sense.

View attachment 2518335

·
231 Posts
I have two PCI-e slots, but the card is 3 slot
You do realize that no matter how many 'slots' a card it still just uses one of the connectors on the motherboard, right? Are you saying you only have two expansion slots on the back of your case?

·
Facepalm
10,020 Posts
It seems the flaw of some rtx 3090 designs are showing up now with this game :/ . mostly evga rtx 3090s are the ones dying left and right.

I don't get it.
Igor is saying that the fan controller IC is blowing up?
But buildzoid is saying that fuses are blowing up because MSVDD power spikes are triggering OCP, or blowing fuses somehow?

• Rep+
Reactions: tps3443

·
Registered
340 Posts
Igor is saying that the fan controller IC is blowing up?
But buildzoid is saying that fuses are blowing up because MSVDD power spikes are triggering OCP, or blowing fuses somehow?
Igor usually talks a lot and is not to the point. He once talked about capacitors and was wrong.
Buildzoid makes a lot more sense.

·
231 Posts
Igor usually talks a lot and is not to the point. He once talked about capacitors and was wrong.
Buildzoid makes a lot more sense.
Yet neither will acknowledge that EVGA had to release a redesigned board due to power issues and these boards are obviously dying of power issues.

16481 - 16500 of 16551 Posts