Overclock.net banner
18221 - 18240 of 19655 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Finally got this 3090 installed. Not my first choice, card-wise, but at least I got it at MSRP. Zotac AMP Extreme Holo. Haven't done much gaming or any benchmarks, just been GPU rendering so far and it's pretty snappy! along with a 2080ti and a 10980xe in my loop, cards stay around 38-40c rendering, clock sticks around 1995 stock. The little OCing I did while gaming had it at 2100. Looking to do some benching and see how much I can push it later on once projects slow down. Hoping to get a second soon. I remember reading a ways back that finding 3 slot NVLinks for these cards is pretty tough, is that still the case? Looking to utilize it for work, pooling the Vram on both cards would be quite beneficial.

·
Old School Overclocker !
487 Posts
@Falkentyne , amigo thanks a lot for the feedback and testing you did using thermal pads , also for your recomendation to use Gelid extreme and not ultimate.

I did some maintnance on my 24/7 gaming rig because i was getting very hot memory temperatures and also hot spot was getting worst by the day around 25c+ over the temperature of the core , using ek fc water block on Asus Tuf oc 3090. What a big mess when i took it appart :/ , thermal grissly kryonaut thermal paste on the core was completely bone dry , like powder :oops: and the cheap thermal pads that ek included on the fc h2o block was brittle and dry as a bone too :oops: ...

I replace all the thermal pads with gelid extreme 1.0mm on the front and 2.0mm on the backplate plus re-pasted with fresh kryonaut thick application and the results were very good. Now it runs so much cooler (y) , hot spot is only 10c over core temps ( ex. core 43c hot spot 53 ) even with high clocks , high pl and volts it wont go higher than 10c off the core temps always. The new thermal pads from Gelid ( gelid extreme not ultimate , soft thermal pads ) did amazing also as it dropped my memory temps by around 20c.

Guys beware of bad performance due to dry thermal paste and dry thermal pads. I was running the same thermal paste application and stock ek thermal pads for over 9 months on the fc ek h2o block and the massive heat that this thing produces did dry them up. I recommend you guys change thermal paste every 6~8 months and apply a fresh coat on it and check the thermal pads also to make sure they are not bone dry and brittle.

·
Old crazy guy
3,941 Posts
I was running the same thermal paste application and stock ek thermal pads for over 9 months on the fc ek h2o block and the massive heat that this thing produces did dry them up.
I'm still not sure what I'm going to use :D

Kryonaut, Kryonaut Extreme and Kingpin KPx they all dry up fast.
Good temperatures, especially the KPx, but none is long lasting.

Those that are confirmed long lasting are the carbon based Thermalright TFX (extremely hard to spread) and Thermalright TF8/TF7 (easier to spread, less performing).

There's also the Phobya NanoGrease Extreme, the only silicon based that is confirmed long lasting.
It's the winner for gaming notebooks repasting; small toasters running almost 24/7 with uneven heatsinks, annoying to dismantle every 6 months.
Very similar use case as ours.
There's also a proper datasheet: https://www.aquatuning.de/download/...a-NanoGrease-Extreme-16Wmk-Paste-MSDS-eng.pdf
But the performances, at least on paper, are below any Thermalright paste (Thermal impedance is < 0.05 vs <0.01 and less).

·
Old School Overclocker !
487 Posts

Those that are confirmed long lasting are the carbon based Thermalright TFX (extremely hard to spread) and Thermalright TF8/TF7 (easier to spread, less performing).

There's also the Phobya NanoGrease Extreme, the only silicon based that is confirmed long lasting.
It's the winner for gaming notebooks repasting; small toasters running almost 24/7 with uneven heatsinks, annoying to dismantle every 6 months.
There's also a proper datasheet: https://www.aquatuning.de/download/...a-NanoGrease-Extreme-16Wmk-Paste-MSDS-eng.pdf
But the performances, at least on paper, are below any Thermalright paste (Thermal impedance is < 0.05 vs <0.01 and less).
You are correct (y) , most of the good thermal paste with high heat transfer rate dry up very fast 6~8 months. Specially Kryonaut ( grey ) and Kryonaut Extreme ( pink ) , Kingpin KPx ( blue ) , Gelid GC extreme ( grey ). The worst been Gelid GC extreme as it wont last 6 months, Maybe next time i need to re-paste i will try that Phobya Nano Grease Extreme as it is a pita to remove the water block every 6~8 months just to re-paste.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Interesting, I will check one of the 2080tis I pulled out to see if the kpX dried. Been about 8 months. So, if all the top shelf pastes dry, then what's the solution aside from reapplying every 8 months? I'm not going conductive or graphite pads. If that Phobya Nano Grease you mention lasts longer, then I'd give that a shot, who cares if it's tough to apply if you're only doing it once. Rather apply something great that lasts longer than re-applying every 8 months.

·
Old crazy guy
3,941 Posts
Interesting, I will check one of the 2080tis I pulled out to see if the kpX dried. Been about 8 months.
Would really like to know, please share it once you're done.

So, if all the top shelf pastes dry, then what's the solution aside from reapplying every 8 months?
Seems none other than using a paste that lasts longer and loose some thermal performances.

I'm not going conductive or graphite pads.
Agree, not only dangerous; liquid metal needs to be re-applied as well, just a bit less often.

If that Phobya Nano Grease you mention lasts longer, then I'd give that a shot, who cares if it's tough to apply if you're only doing it once.
It's never only once but if it's 12-18 months vs 6-9 still quite a difference.

Those hard to apply are the carbon based, especially the TFX.
The Phobya is a silicon based, similar to Kryonaut but just a bit more stiffy I've read.

The NanoGrease has a very high thermal conductivity and high thermal impendence.
Probably means due to the material composition it struggles to fill the micro gaps between the surfaces.

The carbon based Thermalright pastes have all very low thermal impendence.
Means their thermal conductivity (which is a performance number only related to the thermal material) will be used more effectively.
Probably cause they can better adhere to the surfaces and fill the micro gaps.

·
Facepalm
10,725 Posts

Can you explain the difference between these "carbon" based pastes and Kryonaut Extreme and Kingpin KPX, etc?

I noticed there is a huge family of pastes, possibly all coming from the same factories in Shenzhen. I can't find out where Thermalright TFX is made, but Thermagic ZF-EX seems to be a direct clone of it (identical in thickness, even), if it isn't the same stuff. TFX and ZF-EX are like god tier levels of thickness. They can be easier to spread if you put the syringe in very hot water (almost boiling) for 10 minutes, or just use a hairdryer on the paste after you squeeze it.

And there's a large collection of pastes that are not quite as thick as TFX but are very close, and they all have about the same performance, only differing in viscosity and wetting ability. SYY-157, Maxtor CTG9 and Zezzio (14.3 w/mk) and I think one other paste seem to be all resold by different suppliers.
FuzeIce Plus and Alseye T9+ Platinum are both wetter and not as thick as SYY-157 family of pastes and seem to be 100% identical. All the pastes seem to look the same, with the exception of TFX, which seems to leave an even thicker coat on your fingers, when you try to rub it (it leaves almost like a lacquer type coat, while SYY leaves a thinner coat, and FuzeIce Plus (T9+ Platinum) is even thinner than that.

• Rep+
Reactions: owikh84

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Would really like to know, please share it once you're done.

Seems none other than using a paste that lasts longer and loose some thermal performances.

Agree, not only dangerous; liquid metal needs to be re-applied as well, just a bit less often.

It's never only once but if it's 12-18 months vs 6-9 still quite a difference.

Those hard to apply are the carbon based, especially the TFX.
The Phobya is a silicon based, similar to Kryonaut but just a bit more stiffy I've read.

The NanoGrease has a very high thermal conductivity and high thermal impendence.
Probably means due to the material composition it struggles to fill the micro gaps between the surfaces.

The carbon based Thermalright pastes have all very low thermal impendence.
Means their thermal conductivity (which is a performance number only related to the thermal material) will be used more effectively.
Probably cause they can better adhere to the surfaces and fill the micro gaps.
I would be interested in it if it needs less downtime re-applying. I did a quick search and I guess the lesser HeGrease performs better even though it's rated as less than, maybe it's not as thick...

Whether or not that also dries I don't know, didn't dive too deep into it, but if it's on par with nano or kpx and has the same lifetime of nano, then I'll give that a shot first

·
Old crazy guy
3,941 Posts
Whether or not that also dries I don't know, didn't dive too deep into it, but if it's on par with nano or kpx and has the same lifetime of nano, then I'll give that a shot first
I don't know... often what manufacturers are declaring as thermal conductivity is BS but those are from the same.
That's half of the NanoGrease with the same viscosity.
Probably the thermal compound is much worse but the silicon base the same.
I wouldn't take that test on hwcooling.net too seriously, almost all pastes are in the 74-75c which is below the margin of error.
That setup is not appropriate to show the difference between a 8 and 16 mW/K paste.
I consider much more valuable the professionals' experience with gaming botebooks.
They say it lasts long and provides the best thermal performances. If the HeGrease was enough they'd use that one instead, it's cheaper :p

Can you explain the difference between these "carbon" based pastes and Kryonaut Extreme and Kingpin KPX, etc?
Not really as I have no idea what is the "carbon" material used as base :D

The silica based are made with a kind of uncured rubber.
It's like the inflatable balloons; when they get old they crack.
Also heat is a way to cure and harden the rubber.
Heat plus time are inevitably drying up any silicon based paste.

Have no idea about this carbon based but seems confirmed they need less curing.
And the drawback is that they are less manageable.
But at the end there's no TIM that doesn't need curing when exposed to time and heat.
It's more a matter of when; 6 months dry is really too short for a GPU waterblock...

I noticed there is a huge family of pastes, possibly all coming from the same factories in Shenzhen. I can't find out where Thermalright TFX is made, but Thermagic ZF-EX seems to be a direct clone of it (identical in thickness, even), if it isn't the same stuff. TFX and ZF-EX are like god tier levels of thickness. They can be easier to spread if you put the syringe in very hot water (almost boiling) for 10 minutes, or just use a hairdryer on the paste after you squeeze it.
Like everything today :p
There's a ghost brand from Thermalright, don't remember the name, which is selling exactly the same products with different name and models.
I think they also license their IP to other brands which are producing in the same fabs with slightly different recipes.

Spreading is going to be though indeed, I usually like more the air dryer method as it's quicker and less messy.

FuzeIce Plus and Alseye T9+ Platinum are both wetter and not as thick as SYY-157 family of pastes and seem to be 100% identical. All the pastes seem to look the same, with the exception of TFX, which seems to leave an even thicker coat on your fingers, when you try to rub it (it leaves almost like a lacquer type coat, while SYY leaves a thinner coat, and FuzeIce Plus (T9+ Platinum) is even thinner than that.
Problem with similar or identical pastes is that what looks the same is the base compound. The thermal compound mixed in makes the difference.
Usually these 2nd tier brands they are cheaper and the reason is they use a lesser quality/lower quantity thermal compound mix.
So the only way to really know is to test yourself or have someone else tested beforehand.
But if you test yourself it can end up in a huge waste of money and effort pretty quick...
That's why I prefer to stick to 1st tier brands. At least there's data and hopefully you don't get a bad batch...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
@chispy

That's what I was experienced with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut as well, on both GPUs I was seeing higher temperatures, usually delta between the GPU core and GPU hot-spot was in 8-10°C in best case or in worst case I was seeing like 14-15°C at higher power limits or when power draw was like 500W

Replaced thermal pads for Gelid pads and for thermal paste I used ZF-EX and right now delta between the GPU core and GPU hot-spot is 8-10°C as max and VRAM temperatures dropped by 15-20°C, usually they sit in 50's and not seen them higher than 62°C previously on that particular GPU I would see 76-84°C in best case

I think as well my thermal paste was like 6-8 months old and as well was dry, let's see how's ZF-EX will perform and used as well SYY-157 on Ryzen 5950x where previously I have used Kryonaut as well which was dry after 6 months or maybe not even that

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
What kind of memory undervolts are people running with the 3090 kingpin and classified tool?

Is 1.2 volts possible with no overclocks?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Apologies if I'm misunderstanding @homestyle , but the 3090 conventionally maxes at 1.1V, so 1.2V (though yes possible with 3090 KP classified) is not an undervolt?

For undervolts a lot of folks here have achieved great performance on their KPs and can advise I'm sure.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Apologies if I'm misunderstanding @homestyle , but the 3090 conventionally maxes at 1.1V, so 1.2V (though yes possible with 3090 KP classified) is not an undervolt?

For undervolts a lot of folks here have achieved great performance on their KPs and can advise I'm sure.
Perhaps you are talking about gpu voltage?

In the classified tool, fbvdd defaults to 1.375 with a minimum of 1.2 volts.

·
Registered
866 Posts
You are correct (y) , most of the good thermal paste with high heat transfer rate dry up very fast 6~8 months. Specially Kryonaut ( grey ) and Kryonaut Extreme ( pink ) , Kingpin KPx ( blue ) , Gelid GC extreme ( grey ). The worst been Gelid GC extreme as it wont last 6 months, Maybe next time i need to re-paste i will try that Phobya Nano Grease Extreme as it is a pita to remove the water block every 6~8 months just to re-paste.
Strange, I've had great results with Gelid GC Extreme paste. Before I went custom loop, I had my 8700K at 5ghz on it for years without taking it apart and temps didn't really degrade much if at all.

Can't say I've tried it on my 3090 for a long period of time though, but it is what I used on my block now which has been up for a couple of months, and so far so good: 12c max hotspot while on full load.

Used to use TFX but found it hard to spread despite having great temps, and didn't really think of using the hair dryer method at the time. Not to mention it costs quite a lot for the volume you get.

• Rep+
Reactions: Falkentyne

·
Old crazy guy
3,941 Posts
Strange, I've had great results with Gelid GC Extreme paste. Before I went custom loop, I had my 8700K at 5ghz on it for years without taking it apart and temps didn't really degrade much if at all.
Same as the Extreme pads also the Extreme paste suffered from the bad batches from the previous factory.
The new batches have a blue branding instead of the old green.

I've used it a lot before Kryonaut and it was a decent paste, lasting quite long on the CPU. Still fine after more than 1 year.
But of course temps were 1-3c worse than Kryonaut.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, i was wondering something. As 3090 and 3080Ti have the same chip, i was wondering if someone consider flashing a 3090 with a 3080Ti vbios possible ? why you should ask ? to shutdown some VRAM chips to gain more Watt dedicated to the GPU clock. (VRAM use 2W per chip according to igor's lab).
Or is there a way to shutdown some VRAM chip through tweaking ?
Maybe a silly question but hey... why not.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Thermalright 12.8 W/mK
...can't quite remember the exact sequence of posts re. Thermalright 12.8 W/mK pads not conforming well / imprinting, but not so, IMO...here are some pics of those Thermalright pads on my 3090 Strix after 5 months or so.

View attachment 2527108

View attachment 2527109
why are your Thermalright 12.8 W/mK blue ?

I got alot of them from Amazon/aliexpress and they are grey.

·
Facepalm
10,725 Posts
...just lighting and an older camera - they're grey
This is on a different heatsink.
Isn't this a water block?

You have good mounting pressure because you have more screws. So even Fujipoly 17 w/mk pads will work.
The mounting pressure issue with the Odyssey pads are for the Founder's Edition heatsinks. Because there is absolutely ATROCIOUS mounting pressure because the only thing that screws the PCB into the heatsink are the four leaf spring screws! I AM NOT KIDDING.

The rest of the screws screw into the OUTER SHROUD which isn't attached to the heatsink directly! So Odyssey pads end up causing degrading hotspot issues slowly. It's VERY noticeable if you use Kryonaut / Kryonaut Extreme. Even Thermalright TFX can't save that mess.

Automotive exterior Bumper Rectangle Gas Auto part

18221 - 18240 of 19655 Posts