Overclock.net banner
18461 - 18480 of 18773 Posts

·
Old crazy guy
3,660 Posts
Pumps help with flow rate. Flow rate keeps the temperature of the loop uniform. You should be OK with 1 pump if you just have 2 x 60mm wide 360 rads.
There are also other benefits like redundancy (if the top is non blocking like the EK Revo) and noise (two pumps at low speed are almost inaudible vs one at high rpm).

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
There are also other benefits like redundancy (if the top is non blocking like the EK Revo) and noise (two pumps at low speed are almost inaudible vs one at high rpm).
I don't buy the redundancy thing. Your CPU and GPU will protect themselves if they reach tj max.

But yeah, you can buy more pumps and turn down the speeds to make them quieter. With my setup, 4 pumps at 100% fill up a gallon jug in 40 seconds. I run them at 75%.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah just 1 solid D5 pump is fine @iionas if you’re running a 2 rad setup. Don’t worry about the noob questions, everyone has to start at the same place.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah just 1 solid D5 pump is fine @iionas if you’re running a 2 rad setup. Don’t worry about the noob questions, everyone has to start at the same place.
Legit trying to do all my homework here,

I used the EKWB configurator and it came out cheaper than I expected (for both gpu and cpu) however id be tempyed to put 2 thicc rads in the Lian Lii for heat soak. I think like max load would be peak of 600-680w.

Now another question, how bad does the water temp affect the pump / tubing? Im wanting to do soft tube I dont think I want to get complicated with hardline yet

·
Registered
192 Posts
Soft tube is absolutely fine. 2 thick rads are solid as long as you can do push/pull fans, otherwise you won’t get the full benefit of the thick.

·
Old crazy guy
3,660 Posts
I don't buy the redundancy thing. Your CPU and GPU will protect themselves if they reach tj max.
It's not about protection; it's about being able to run the system while waiting the D5 replacement to be delivered :p

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Imagine not having Quick Disconnects on every component in 2021 😅

Changing cpu and gpu is done in minutes, without needing to drain all the water. Worth 😎

• Rep+
Reactions: jura11

·
Old crazy guy
3,660 Posts
I've seen hard tubing on a CPU block sagged and ruined by a failed pump.
Yeah, I heard a few horror stories as well... but the D5s are pretty reliable and when they die usually just stops spinning without imploding in a huge cloud of small debris.
Having the luxury to keep working and wait till next weekend to replace it is a killer feature for me!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Yeah, I heard a few horror stories as well... but the D5s are pretty reliable and when they die usually just stops spinning without imploding in a huge cloud of small debris.
Having the luxury to keep working and wait till next weekend to replace it is a killer feature for me!
I’ve never had a D5 fail in 5 years of watercooling using 2 pumps. My latest build has the same 2 pumps, plus another 2 (4 total) on the sidecar of my MO-RA. The only components that have outright failed has been GPUs. I suppose this 747 could fly on 3 engines but I would re-evaluate my loop rather than continue using the computer. I don’t use it for anything important like work.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I’ve never had a D5 fail in 5 years of watercooling using 2 pumps. My latest build has the same 2 pumps, plus another 2 (4 total) on the sidecar of my MO-RA. The only components that have outright failed has been GPUs. I suppose this 747 could fly on 3 engines but I would re-evaluate my loop rather than continue using the computer. I don’t use it for anything important like work.
I had a bearing start to fail on one recently that was less than a year old. Never been run dry. In that case though it just created a vibration, so I had plenty of warning.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I had a bearing start to fail on one recently that was less than a year old. Never been run dry. In that case though it just created a vibration, so I had plenty of warning.
The only moving part is the impeller. Which bearing are you referring to?

Again I have 4 pumps but I won’t pretend you need more than one, even for highly restrictive loops. And I definitely wouldn’t recommend more than one to a budget conscious newcomer. That would give the impression that the cost of entry is higher than it really is. Even with 6-8 pairs of QDCs, one pump is capable of filling my loop and keeping the water flowing fast enough to maintain normal temperatures. If allI had was 2 medium sised radiators, I wouldn’t even run a single D5 at 100%.

·
Registered
702 Posts
@0451, there is a single bearing (bushing in the center the impeller rides on).

And I checked the impeller for debris. Looked clean. Couldn't blow anything out of it.

·
SAY AMBIENT AGAIN! SAY IT
317 Posts
Imagine not having Quick Disconnects on every component in 2021 😅

Changing cpu and gpu is done in minutes, without needing to drain all the water. Worth 😎
It's expensive! I use 7 sets of QD3s on my system.

·
Registered
702 Posts
They're bulky and heavy too. I have them on my external rad as well as an extra pair to let me easily drain the loop through the external lines. Although it would be really convenient to put them between components. Certainly understand that.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Compared to the lifespan I have used them, and all the hardware I change every year, they're almost free. Time is money too, so I actual (almost) getting paid to used them LOL

The first 8 par Koolance QD I bought is in use now. They was bought the same time as 780 classified SLI 😅

• Rep+
Reactions: J7SC

·
Invalid Media
4,981 Posts
I seemed to have 'started something' :eek: with my comment re. the minimum of two D5s per loop comment earlier. There are multiple benefits, some already covered above.

- Redundancy...it's not only about gaming machines but workstations and even light servers. While modern CPUs and GPUs have temp protection built in, it's the downtime for a business which is important. I only ever lost one D5 (incl. for workstations) in over a decade and that was my own fault by accidentally running it dry as I had confused the D5 Molex with those from multiple GT fans for wire-harness testing.

- '''Noise'''...I usually mount D5s on a rubber pad and they tend to be near-silent. Still, with dual D5s (or more, depending on loop), you can dial down the speed a bit.

- "Actual flow"...this is something near and dear to my heart, given many w-cooled multi-GPU system work-and-play builds. On paper, a single D5 can out-do a DDC (the latter dumps a bit more heat in your case, btw), but in practice, that's not always the case...

...D5s have a larger internal diameter and are more susceptible to sudden drops in flow if there's any air hiding in the system, as can easily be the case when using multiple GPU and CPU blocks and multiple rads. And who hasn't chased that bubble in the GPU block, especially when mounted vertically. However, also per DerBauer's test a few years back for casekingtiv, dual D5s put out enough pressure and consistent flow for that not to be an issue. Dual D5s almost always outperform dual DDCs and rarely are susceptible to bubble-induced drops. Somewhat related to this is also the fact that I use the larger-diameter 1/2 - 3/4 tubing and multiple Koolance QD 4s.

18461 - 18480 of 18773 Posts