Overclock.net banner
18481 - 18500 of 18773 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’ve never had a D5 fail in 5 years of watercooling using 2 pumps. My latest build has the same 2 pumps, plus another 2 (4 total) on the sidecar of my MO-RA. The only components that have outright failed has been GPUs. I suppose this 747 could fly on 3 engines but I would re-evaluate my loop rather than continue using the computer. I don’t use it for anything important like work.
so that’s one thing I’d take into account. I work on this thing daily, like it gets a thrashing everyday for 8 hours and then some gaming also. The redundant pump is a good idea, least in my book

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I seemed to have 'started something' :eek: with my comment re. the minimum of two D5s per loop comment earlier. There are multiple benefits, some already covered above.

- Redundancy...it's not only about gaming machines but workstations and even light servers. While modern CPUs and GPUs have temp protection built in, it's the downtime for a business which is important. I only ever lost one D5 (incl. for workstations) in over a decade and that was my own fault by accidentally running it dry as I had confused the D5 Molex with those from multiple GT fans for wire-harness testing.

- '''Noise'''...I usually mount D5s on a rubber pad and they tend to be near-silent. Still, with dual D5s (or more, depending on loop), you can dial down the speed a bit.

- "Actual flow"...this is something near and dear to my heart, given many w-cooled multi-GPU system work-and-play builds. On paper, a single D5 can out-do a DDC (the latter dumps a bit more heat in your case, btw), but in practice, that's not always the case...

...D5s have a larger internal diameter and are more susceptible to sudden drops in flow if there's any air hiding in the system, as can easily be the case when using multiple GPU and CPU blocks and multiple rads. And who hasn't chased that bubble in the GPU block, especially when mounted vertically. However, also per DerBauer's test a few years back for casekingtiv, dual D5s put out enough pressure and consistent flow for that not to be an issue. Dual D5s almost always outperform dual DDCs and rarely are susceptible to bubble-induced drops. Somewhat related to this is also the fact that I use the larger-diameter 1/2 - 3/4 tubing and multiple Koolance QD 4s.
If you are going for “redundancy,” why stop at a pump, one of the parts that’s least likely to fail?

If you have a second pump, you should also have a second power supply hooked up in parallel.

Next you must run a second boot drive in RAID 1.

Graphics cards fail quite often. Gotta have 2 of those hooked up at all times.

Second motherboard and CPU. Those fail too.

Maybe I’m hitting at some of the design goals of 3090/6800XT Raven’s nest.

·
SAY AMBIENT AGAIN! SAY IT
317 Posts
My cheap solution Slangtång

Just need enough slack to get away from the expensive parts ;)

(Well I have 1 pair of QDCs to the external supernova)
I have two of those by Gearwrench :D
Compared to the lifespan I have used them, and all the hardware I change every year, they're almost free.
This is the reason I got into water cooling. It's one of those hidden costs when you first get into it but worth the cost the longer you are into it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Nizzen

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have a backup d5 with all the bits needed to put it in a series setup, but I've been torn between doing that or separating my cpu from the loop, put it on it's own sr2 420 and keep the gpus on the other 420, XE 360 and slim 360. Whichever gets me better temps on the gpus and I am guessing it will be doing two loops vs serial single loop with two pumps.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The gpu will probably get the best temps from having all the rads in a single loop as the rad on the cpu will usually not be well utilized unless you are running at 100% on the cpu at the same time possibly.

·
Invalid Media
4,983 Posts
I have a backup d5 with all the bits needed to put it in a series setup, but I've been torn between doing that or separating my cpu from the loop, put it on it's own sr2 420 and keep the gpus on the other 420, XE 360 and slim 360. Whichever gets me better temps on the gpus and I am guessing it will be doing two loops vs serial single loop with two pumps.
I've run completely separate loops for CPU and GPU (ie. spoiler below), and even the dual GPU-only loop had the 2x D5s and rads 'separated' (so res > pump 1 > GPU 1 > rad 1 > rad 2 > pump 2 > GPU 2 > rad 3 > back to res). Temps were great, and that system was in 3DM overall PortRoyal HoF for 18+ months, as high as 15th.

However, I recently combined the TR CPU loop of that system with the GPU loop (which I kept mostly 'as is'), and net differences in temp are 1.5C to 2C at most - and that is with 3x D5s instead of 4x, and 3x RX 360s instead 5x, and defanged 120mm fans (Arctic P12s instead of GT3k rpm). With good fast flow and multi-rads, it doesn't really matter. Also, if you distribute the D5s and rads as described in series, you get the best of both worlds, including stronger flow and redundancy and peace of mind.

Motor vehicle Wood Office equipment Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
21 Posts
fudge me you guys run like what would seem to a normal person overkill but it makes 100% sense why youre doing so

loving the info this is great

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I've run completely separate loops for CPU and GPU (ie. spoiler below), and even the dual GPU-only loop had the 2x D5s and rads 'separated' (so res > pump 1 > GPU 1 > rad 1 > rad 2 > pump 2 > GPU 2 > rad 3 > back to res). Temps were great, and that system was in 3DM overall PortRoyal HoF for 18+ months, as high as 15th.

However, I recently combined the TR CPU loop of that system with the GPU loop (which I kept mostly 'as is'), and net differences in temp are 1.5C to 2C at most - and that is with 3x D5s instead of 5, and 3x RX 360s instead 4, and defanged 120mm fans (Arctic P12s instead of GT3k rpm). With good fast flow and multi-rads, it doesn't really matter. Also, if you distribute the D5s and rads as described in series, you get the best of both worlds, including stronger flow and redundancy and peace of mind.

Cool, it'll be a lot easier just adding to the current loop. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Delete

• Rep+
Reactions: Christopher2178

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey guys just noticed different 520w bios,

subsystem ends with 3999 instead of 3998

Edit 1:
YEP it works, gonna see if there is any difference. rebar work too.
Edit 2:

Did a quick dummy test, i can overclock it higher now, very odd considering it should be same as old one.
I was capped in Port Royal at +60 (2085-2115), now i can do +105 (2100-2145). at +120 i shut it down it causes artifacts.
On the old one i used vf curve to reach 2130 but it was annoying to do.
It pulls 522.4w according to gpuz, old one did 502w/
Memory oc +1000 its temp is 54c hotspot is 58-60c. no difference

·
Old crazy guy
3,660 Posts
If you are going for “redundancy,” why stop at a pump, one of the parts that’s least likely to fail?

If you have a second pump, you should also have a second power supply hooked up in parallel.

Next you must run a second boot drive in RAID 1.

Graphics cards fail quite often. Gotta have 2 of those hooked up at all times.

Second motherboard and CPU. Those fail too.
Well, the ultimate hack would be a ready-to-go clone of myself in a cryo pod in case of myself-failure :p

Pumps are mechanical so the failure rate, against anything which is not, is something like 10000:1 higher.
There are dependencies, the pump fails and it's like the CPU or the Mobo; nothing runs without it.
Availability is key, D5 pumps or water-cooling pumps (for PC at least) are not available everywhere.
Chances are at any PC store you can buy a PSU, GPU, CPU, Mobo for emergencies.
Less likely a pump.

But yes, it's not really required, the D5 pumps are reliable. More than the average of the other components.
Together with the other benefits it's a smart way to go if you can invest the money.
It is definitely not something that should block anyone to go custom loop.
Even with one D5 the difference against an AIO is massive.

·
Invalid Media
4,983 Posts
fudge me you guys run like what would seem to a normal person overkill but it makes 100% sense why youre doing so

loving the info this is great
....it can be a lot of fun, just be aware that it can also be a slippery slope, just ask our friend @Arizor :giggle:

Well, the ultimate hack would be a ready-to-go clone of myself in a cryo pod in case of myself-failure :p

Pumps are mechanical so the failure rate, against anything which is not, is something like 10000:1 higher.
There are dependencies, the pump fails and it's like the CPU or the Mobo; nothing runs without it.
Availability is key, D5 pumps or water-cooling pumps (for PC at least) are not available everywhere.
Chances are at any PC store you can buy a PSU, GPU, CPU, Mobo for emergencies.
Less likely a pump.

But yes, it's not really required, the D5 pumps are reliable. More than the average of the other components.
Together with the other benefits it's a smart way to go if you can invest the money.
It is definitely not something that should block anyone to go custom loop.
Even with one D5 the difference against an AIO is massive.
...good points there. Getting select water-cooling peripherals (including full D5 setups w/housing) seems more difficult these days compared to 5-6 years ago...With pandemics, ships getting stuck in the Suez Canal or piling up outside LA Harbour, I rather have fail-over and some spares. And to each his/her own, but with modern GPUs and CPUs placing ever-more emphasis on boost algorithms including temps as a major parameter, good cooling makes a lot of sense rather than just bashing your head into the hotspot wall, so to speak...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don’t know what you could possibly mean @J7SC . Now if you don’t mind I need to get back to researching how to install an extra D5 pump and 360 rad into my case… now do I need to buy redundancy backups too…
Hair Nose Cheek Eyelash Mouth

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I messed up the thermal pads for my Kingpin Hydrocopper and need new ones (2mm). Is $44.95 a terrible price for (100 × 100 × 2,0 mm) Thermal Grizzly Minus 8?
@tps3443

Amazon.com: Thermopad Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 - Silicone, Self-Adhesive, Thermally Conductive Thermal Pad - Conducts Heat and Cools The Heating Elements of The Computer or Console (30 × 30 × 0,5 mm) : Industrial & Scientific

I don’t know what you could possibly mean @J7SC . Now if you don’t mind I need to get back to researching how to install an extra D5 pump and 360 rad into my case… now do I need to buy redundancy backups too… View attachment 2528679
Make sure you have an extra redundant ethernet port (dual LAN) and ISP in case your gaming gets interrupted. 15 MB/s should be okay. Also make sure you have a redundant power source coming into your home. Solar or a hospital generator are both acceptable. Stock on up food in case the global supply chain shortage gets bad enough that you have to stand in line for food or go to a further away store.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey everyone. Looking to take another stab at my 3090 TUF. I've been running the 390W Gigabyte Gaming OC BIOS for awhile that's been working great. I deshrouded and replaced the fans with 3x Noctua A9's with a fairly quiet fan curve. My case is also essentially open air so my temps peak around 59-61C. Do you think I could flash the XOC BIOS and cap the power limit even though my card is only 2x8pin since I feel like I have a bit of thermal headroom I could take advantage of?

·
Invalid Media
4,983 Posts
(...)
Make sure you have an extra redundant ethernet port (dual LAN) and ISP in case your gaming gets interrupted. 15 MB/s should be okay. Also make sure you have a redundant power source coming into your home. Solar or a hospital generator are both acceptable. Stock on up food in case the global supply chain shortage gets bad enough that you have to stand in line for food or go to a further away store.
Almost good advice, but you forgot to add several packs of spare quality thermal pads to the redundancy list :sneaky:
"I messed up the thermal pads for my Kingpin Hydrocopper and need new ones (2mm). Is $44.95 a terrible price for (100 × 100 × 2,0 mm) Thermal Grizzly Minus 8?"...

BTW, you might want to consider TG 10 w/mk thermal putty instead

·
Old crazy guy
3,660 Posts
I messed up the thermal pads for my Kingpin Hydrocopper and need new ones (2mm). Is $44.95 a terrible price for (100 × 100 × 2,0 mm) Thermal Grizzly Minus 8?
I really wouldn't use the Minus 8 on a Kingpin... it does have the advantage of being very solid and soft at the same time, it doesn't crumble into pieces.
But the thermal performances are between a good 6 W/mk and a below average 8 W/mk.
Used it on my old GTX 1070 and wasn't impressed at all.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I definitely wouldn't have upgraded so soon if it wasn't put in a project's budget. Prices are insane, scalped or not..

Testing a couple 80mm fans on the heatsinks has proven to help quite a bit, been working/rendering with them and has dropped temps by 10+C (GPU #1 being the passive backplate). Gives me a bit more confidence letting it render overnight.
This is my (ghetto)mod instead

maybe not beautiful, but functional :D

18481 - 18500 of 18773 Posts