Overclock.net banner
2161 - 2180 of 2215 Posts

· Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
Lets see what I can remember what I have off hand. Nintendo 64, PlayStation, PlayStation One, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 60GB (the one that plays all PS2 games), PlayStation Portable-3000, Xbox 360, Pentium III-S 1.4GHz with a 3dfx Voodoo2 128MB of RAM and Windows 98SE. Will add more as (if) I remember them.

If it counts then a PS Vita as I haven’t seen games come out for it in years. I have a few others that are broken that I didn’t include because I didn’t think they’d count.

· technologist
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,162 ·
Lets see what I can remember what I have off hand. Nintendo 64, PlayStation, PlayStation One, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 60GB (the one that plays all PS2 games), PlayStation Portable-3000, Xbox 360, Pentium III-S 1.4GHz with a 3dfx Voodoo2 128MB of RAM and Windows 98SE. Will add more as (if) I remember them.

If it counts then a PS Vita as I haven’t seen games come out for it in years. I have a few others that are broken that I didn’t include because I didn’t think they’d count.
You have been added to the club. Welcome! If you want to add your broken systems, I would be fine with that, as long as they are retro (probably defined as pre-2010). No, I would not count the Vita and most members probably wouldn't either as it was released in 2012 and games are actually still being released for it, though at this point the majority are games that either came out in Japan a few years ago or low-budget, digital only indie titles or otome games. You can see a partial list of some of the games here. I have a Vita-1000 and PSTV myself. (Most games in the style of Vita games, that is niche Japanese RPGs, visual novels, strategy games and the like, are now coming out for the Switch here instead.)

CLUB UPDATE

I have gone through the members list and original post and am reformatting/correcting it to work with the new site, though this is only relevant for the desktop version. Unfortunately, it has broken it in the process. I removed all of the smilies from the club members list from the old site format, as they no longer worked and showed stuff like "speccool.gif" in place of the smiley. For whatever reason, doing so broke the club image and made it HUUUUGGGE (can still be seen as of right now). Additionally, code tags don't work, which our club signature is in- they make a proper code box, however, it does not prevent BBtags from being interpreted as code, meaning that the club signature cannot be copied and pasted into your signature.

I reported this as a bug and simply got told to reupload the original image at the top of the post (which I think I still have)- I cannot resize the image as per the old site by editing it's dimensions in pixels in the img tag. I also have no idea how to upload an image without an advanced editor and get it hosted on ocn's servers, and have it insert a link to it automagically. Someone did tell me how but it is convoluted.

Anyway, I will be looking into this and at least fixing the giant "OCN RETRO" image but as for the other issues, I was offered no solution.

· Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
You have been added to the club. Welcome! If you want to add your broken systems, I would be fine with that, as long as they are retro (probably defined as pre-2010). No, I would not count the Vita and most members probably wouldn't either as it was released in 2012 and games are actually still being released for it, though at this point the majority are games that either came out in Japan a few years ago or low-budget, digital only indie titles or otome games. You can see a partial list of some of the games here. I have a Vita-1000 and PSTV myself. (Most games in the style of Vita games, that is niche Japanese RPGs, visual novels, strategy games and the like, are now coming out for the Switch here instead.)

CLUB UPDATE

I have gone through the members list and original post and am reformatting/correcting it to work with the new site, though this is only relevant for the desktop version. Unfortunately, it has broken it in the process. I removed all of the smilies from the club members list from the old site format, as they no longer worked and showed stuff like "speccool.gif" in place of the smiley. For whatever reason, doing so broke the club image and made it HUUUUGGGE (can still be seen as of right now). Additionally, code tags don't work, which our club signature is in- they make a proper code box, however, it does not prevent BBtags from being interpreted as code, meaning that the club signature cannot be copied and pasted into your signature.

I reported this as a bug and simply got told to reupload the original image at the top of the post (which I think I still have)- I cannot resize the image as per the old site by editing it's dimensions in pixels in the img tag. I also have no idea how to upload an image without an advanced editor and get it hosted on ocn's servers, and have it insert a link to it automagically. Someone did tell me how but it is convoluted.

Anyway, I will be looking into this and at least fixing the giant "OCN RETRO" image but as for the other issues, I was offered no solution.
Cool and thanks, glad to be a part of the club. Yeah I knew Vita wasn’t I was just making a joke lol. Anyway I do have an Atari 2600 (broken) Super Famicom (broken) a Commidore 64 (broken) and a Sega Master System which bios just crapped its pants one day and haven’t really had the time or money to get a new chip and a few capacitors.

Been spending a lot of time and stuff working on a cool little retro-ish project that I have been honestly having too much fun with (See the build Pluto in my sig if you are curious) a build that pretty much makes zero sense but hell with it, its my pc and who says it has to make sense :D.

· technologist
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,164 ·
Cool and thanks, glad to be a part of the club. Yeah I knew Vita wasn’t I was just making a joke lol. Anyway I do have an Atari 2600 (broken) Super Famicom (broken) a Commidore 64 (broken) and a Sega Master System which bios just crapped its pants one day and haven’t really had the time or money to get a new chip and a few capacitors.

Been spending a lot of time and stuff working on a cool little retro-ish project that I have been honestly having too much fun with (See the build Pluto in my sig if you are curious) a build that pretty much makes zero sense but hell with it, its my pc and who says it has to make sense :D.
I love my Vita and PSTV.

Pluto is interesting. How's it keep up with newer games? I'd imagine that even more recent or new Japanese titles would probably run totally fine on it at 1080p as they still develop and release games for the PS3 or on its SDK then port them to the PS4 and PC (Ys VIII is this way). As far as AAA western games I'd guess the CPU would hold you back. I think there was a pretty active club on OCN for Nvidia SLI chipset boards like the 790i. I'm sure the power consumption would be bad but a Core 2 Quad should still be capable of running a lot of games up through 2014 or so.

· Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
I love my Vita and PSTV.

Pluto is interesting. How's it keep up with newer games? I'd imagine that even more recent or new Japanese titles would probably run totally fine on it at 1080p as they still develop and release games for the PS3 or on its SDK then port them to the PS4 and PC (Ys VIII is this way). As far as AAA western games I'd guess the CPU would hold you back. I think there was a pretty active club on OCN for Nvidia SLI chipset boards like the 790i. I'm sure the power consumption would be bad but a Core 2 Quad should still be capable of running a lot of games up through 2014 or so.
Its able to run GTA V on a mix of High and Very High settings between 40-60 fps and its not too stuttery, Skyrim stays at 60 but I still have to iron out the SLI profile on it as its pretty stuttery. Been meaning to retest Fallout 4 since I got the second GPU but all in all its not terrible for its age, about on par or slightly better than a stock bulldozer chip.

And yeah I’m in the LGA 775 club along with 790i won’t die club.

· technologist
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,167 ·
Its able to run GTA V on a mix of High and Very High settings between 40-60 fps and its not too stuttery, Skyrim stays at 60 but I still have to iron out the SLI profile on it as its pretty stuttery. Been meaning to retest Fallout 4 since I got the second GPU but all in all its not terrible for its age, about on par or slightly better than a stock bulldozer chip.

And yeah I’m in the LGA 775 club along with 790i won’t die club.
GTAV is surprising. Don't bother with the Skyrim stutter- it stutters on my rig and even on the AMD systems I had (7970, 290 Crossfire, Fury Crossfire, and many more GCN cards).

speed_demon, you're added. I have seen some of the wallpapers, but not all of them! Thanks.

· technologist
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,168 ·
Club image, signature info and so forth are updated :)

Any consoles or games you new members are looking to get?

· Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
GTAV is surprising. Don't bother with the Skyrim stutter- it stutters on my rig and even on the AMD systems I had (7970, 290 Crossfire, Fury Crossfire, and many more GCN cards).

speed_demon, you're added. I have seen some of the wallpapers, but not all of them! Thanks.
Yeah it stutters on my main rig with a Broadwell i7/290X combo so it’s mostly just the game itself I believe

· technologist
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,170 · (Edited)
Club appears to be dead as a door knob, but just letting anyone still checking know that I'm very active on OCN right now and still available for retro console/handheld/computer discussion.

I can also add club members if anyone is interested in joining.

I still have all my systems and games. They generally sit and dont get used constantly or that often but do all see use occasionally. I also don't go games hunting or buy any retro games at all anymore, because I generally have 99.5% of the games I was after currently and then some. (I never had a Master System or Turbografx/PC Engine as a kid, and now have both and 20+ games each... I try to only collect the best games for a system or ones I owned, rented, played or friends owned as a kid. I actually have far more than that.) The only stuff I'm interested in is... well the biggest one I never got was Crusader of Centy for Sega Genesis but its $300 cart only and I've never seen it in a store. I generally don't pay more than $40 for any old games, and the few times I did it was $70 for Secret of Mana and $105 for Chrono Trigger. But I'd never pay $300 for a single game. I should be able to get a repro on ebay of Crusader of Centy for $30 or so. Probably 95% of my games cost under $20 and often under $10.

I've actually gone from playing/collecting the game systems and cartridges to learning how to mod and repair them, and solder, and am more interested in that and trying to make money doing it, but am unable to do that stuff currently or for the foreseeable future due to pain.

Anyway, there HAS been an addition of a system in the last year- a fully working, decent condition Macintosh SE that I've partially refurbished. With minimal burn in to the tube. $75 locally with keyboard, mouse, power cord, and... a bunch of disks. It is very similar to the first computer I ever used, a Macintosh Plus. I added a FloppyEmu device, front mounted, to be able to make/boot off of disk images, including a 500MB hard disk image, loaded with games. If anyone is interested I will post pictures and video of the machine and the super clean front mounted FloppyEmu device I installed on it, with built in OLED display for browsing/loading disk images. The machine came with... some interesting floppy disks that absolutely required imaging and making backups before they failed. The former owners claimed to have met in Cupertino in 1983 while one was doing a CompSci degree and working at Apple part time on the original Macintosh project. A lot of the datestamps on the 20 disks it came with, as well as the software on them, seem to validate this :) (Read: the disks are full of never-before-seen, lost to time, not available online, prototype/dev software from Apple for the original Macintosh... people who know better than me and were actually alive in 1983 have verified this.)

Regards!

· Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
I was actually just thinking about this club yesterday, when i was thinking about either going to trying and build a windows 98se system based around a Tualatin Pentium-III, or maybe try and go overkill and get an LGA 775 board that has windows 98se support (there are actually a few) and just grab a core 2 duo.

I feel the Pentium-III route would be the most period correct, but it would also be way more complicated and expensive. I could go the P4 route, but that whole P4 line was just a disaster.

· technologist
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,172 ·
I was actually just thinking about this club yesterday, when i was thinking about either going to trying and build a windows 98se system based around a Tualatin Pentium-III, or maybe try and go overkill and get an LGA 775 board that has windows 98se support (there are actually a few) and just grab a core 2 duo.

I feel the Pentium-III route would be the most period correct, but it would also be way more complicated and expensive. I could go the P4 route, but that whole P4 line was just a disaster.
Whats the goal with this? To play 99-2002 era early 3D games, and also have some support for DOS games?

Take what I'm going to say with a grain of salt- I used an AMD K6-2 350MHz overclocked to 450MHz during this period, and it was in an HP prebuilt. It didn't run 3d accelerated games well at all- but we were poor. Later, we got a P4-1.8GHz generic prebuilt off of ebay and it suited me fine, mostly to play Ragnarok Online and emulators.

That said, I was around back then and an adult but had no money. I sorta kept up with pc hardware but not much because I couldn't afford any of it.

From what I've heard a Pentium III 733MHz is faster than a 1.2GHz (or so) P4.

That said- if it were me, I would try to source a contemporary (2001) Athlon Classic or Thunderbird and a goldfinger device or board that supports overclocking (Thunderbird). I'd purposely try and get a lower speed (600-700MHz) model, and see about mounting a modern heatsink and fan to it, if possible. Because back then people were buying 600MHz Athlons and overclocking them to 1GHz+ and blowing away Pentium III rigs. :) Tbh it would be interesting to learn the architecture and see what I missed.

I'd also look for a modern MicroSD to IDE hdd converter device, so you can have both 98se and XP to boot off of.

Graphics I really have no idea, but I am pretty sure that by 2001 any of the Voodoo boards sucked, and I know the Geforce 256 (original Nvidia GPU) was like 2x as fast as anything else on the market on launch, but I don't know if it supported Glide or not, or if it was out in 01. Alternatively I'd look at ATi's offerings that year.

Regards

· Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
i just picked up one of those $100 32gb refurb wii Us for some home brew fun :D

· technologist
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,174 ·
i just picked up one of those $100 32gb refurb wii Us for some home brew fun :D
Nice! I also have a Wii U. Super Mario 3D World and Xenoblade Chronicles X were my two favorites. Both were well worth the cost of the system, though Xenoblade is a pretty arduous undertaking and has an essentially endless postgame (I think I have around 440 hours played). Laser cutting the necks off Brontosauruses in a floating Japanese robot so their heads fall off after you clear the game and build that mecha is worth the price of admission alone. Although lots of people hated the music and didn't understand the gameplay, as it is quite strange and not like most standard JRPGs, either turn based or action ones. Tbh in my top 3 games of the last decade, easily, but I have different choices compared to most to say the least.

Do you have any other retro consoles and want to be added to the club? (I don't recall if you're already a member or not) What homebrew do you plan to play, emulators?

· Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
yep, i got a hard copy of xeno. Looking forward to that one.

you can add me to the club, sure.

I'd like to build my old man something from a Pi for the holidays. His retron decided to die.

· Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
Whats the goal with this? To play 99-2002 era early 3D games, and also have some support for DOS games?

Take what I'm going to say with a grain of salt- I used an AMD K6-2 350MHz overclocked to 450MHz during this period, and it was in an HP prebuilt. It didn't run 3d accelerated games well at all- but we were poor. Later, we got a P4-1.8GHz generic prebuilt off of ebay and it suited me fine, mostly to play Ragnarok Online and emulators.

That said, I was around back then and an adult but had no money. I sorta kept up with pc hardware but not much because I couldn't afford any of it.

From what I've heard a Pentium III 733MHz is faster than a 1.2GHz (or so) P4.

That said- if it were me, I would try to source a contemporary (2001) Athlon Classic or Thunderbird and a goldfinger device or board that supports overclocking (Thunderbird). I'd purposely try and get a lower speed (600-700MHz) model, and see about mounting a modern heatsink and fan to it, if possible. Because back then people were buying 600MHz Athlons and overclocking them to 1GHz+ and blowing away Pentium III rigs. :) Tbh it would be interesting to learn the architecture and see what I missed.

I'd also look for a modern MicroSD to IDE hdd converter device, so you can have both 98se and XP to boot off of.

Graphics I really have no idea, but I am pretty sure that by 2001 any of the Voodoo boards sucked, and I know the Geforce 256 (original Nvidia GPU) was like 2x as fast as anything else on the market on launch, but I don't know if it supported Glide or not, or if it was out in 01. Alternatively I'd look at ATi's offerings that year.

Regards
Well I was thinking quite a lot of DOS games mainly (Wolfenstein, Doom, Diablo, TES I and II etc) while also being able to play up to something like newest game that i was thinking that it would play is Morrowind era stuff give or take, so probably 1992-2002 ish.

Was thinking a Tually P-III (1.4GHz) mainly because it beats even a 2.5GHz P4 in almost everything. The chips aren’t too expensive like $20-$30 its just finding a Tually capable motherboard is the hard part, most surviving S370 board only support up to coppermine, which isn’t bad but I really want an “overkill” 98SE machine if you get what i mean. But the reason i said C2D is the boards aren’t too expensive its just finding a chipset with 98 drivers is the difficult part, ever harder is finding on that has drivers and support something other than Prescott or Cedar Mill, there are a few that support Conroe and Wolfdale, i have a bunch of 775 chips so that’s a non issue and would be one less expense.

Another thing about it is getting a 775 board would technically open up more options in terms of GPU’s because you could go PCI-E route, even though getting PCI-E support in W98 is... well another story all together.

But yeah I’d like to go the 775 route that way I wouldn’t need to buy a CPU + Motherboard + compatible PSU and even some SD or DDR ram and just stick with the EVGA PSU, a C2D i have laying around and some DDR2 667 that i also have in a box somewhere around here.

It also would allow me to not cut into my fund for my main PC replacement that i have planned towards the end of next year. I could do a VM i guess, but there really is nothing like playing that era games on actual hardware (yes I know Morrowind runs in windows 10 and stuff) but you get what i mean i think.

· technologist
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,177 · (Edited)
yep, i got a hard copy of xeno. Looking forward to that one.

you can add me to the club, sure.

I'd like to build my old man something from a Pi for the holidays. His retron decided to die.

Alright, do you have anything older than the Wii U I can list? (Generally we want to only list consoles older than 10 yrs, if you still have an original Wii, 360 or PS3 I can list that, if not I'll make an exception)

> Well I was thinking quite a lot of DOS games mainly (Wolfenstein, Doom, Diablo, TES I and II etc) while also being able to play up to something like newest game that i was thinking that it would play is Morrowind era stuff give or take, so probably 1992-2002 ish.

Was thinking a Tually P-III (1.4GHz) mainly because it beats even a 2.5GHz P4 in almost everything. The chips aren’t too expensive like $20-$30 its just finding a Tually capable motherboard is the hard part, most surviving S370 board only support up to coppermine, which isn’t bad but I really want an “overkill” 98SE machine if you get what i mean. But the reason i said C2D is the boards aren’t too expensive its just finding a chipset with 98 drivers is the difficult part, ever harder is finding on that has drivers and support something other than Prescott or Cedar Mill, there are a few that support Conroe and Wolfdale, i > have a bunch of 775 chips so that’s a non issue and would be one less expense.

You should look into a Pentium II, original Pentium, or something like a P3-700 then? I do watch a lot of LGR- if you want to play DOS games you don't want a 1.4GHz or 2.5GHz chip, won't some of the games you mentioned run too fast to be playable?

If you want to play Morrowind and use a 775 Core chip, you should probably run WinXP and play Doom and that stuff in Dosbox- you'll also be able to play earlier (81-92-ish) DOS games that definitely need a frame limiter and would run too fast on even a Pentium, let alone something that recent.

I suppose you'd want to research Doom, Diablo (this will run fine and not too fast, as will SC1 afaik), Wolf3D, etc and verify they won't run too fast on something newer than a Pentium II.

GL

· Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
You should look into a Pentium II, original Pentium, or something like a P3-700 then? I do watch a lot of LGR- if you want to play DOS games you don't want a 1.4GHz or 2.5GHz chip, won't some of the games you mentioned run too fast to be playable?

If you want to play Morrowind and use a 775 Core chip, you should probably run WinXP and play Doom and that stuff in Dosbox- you'll also be able to play earlier (81-92-ish) DOS games that definitely need a frame limiter and would run too fast on even a Pentium, let alone something that recent.

I suppose you'd want to research Doom, Diablo (this will run fine and not too fast, as will SC1 afaik), Wolf3D, etc and verify they won't run too fast on something newer than a Pentium II.

GL
Yeah I would consider a PII but i want an “overkill” 98SE setup, with the possibility of running W2000. I also thought about going the AMD route but AMD wasn’t really more or less better until the Athlon XP days which were pretty much only Windows XP. Though now that I think on it I “could” go the S754 route and the get an Athlon 64 3700+ or 3800+ route. But I might do what a friend of mine did and get a cheap SiS 775 board that actually has 98SE support and Conroe/Wolfdale support, although it is limited to a 1066FSB so it downclocks 1333MHz chips to 1066MHz. But it does have an ipc advantage so a lower clockspeed wouldn’t matter.

As far as the older games go I do know of a program that limits the cpu cycles so the games don’t run uber fast, and breaking them I had planned on using that. I really just want to see how modern I can actually go with a 98SE/2000 PC, with the most bleeding edge hardware I can get with support. I guess you can call it a “project within a project”.

· technologist
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,179 ·

· Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
I’d like to so if it is possible to get a GTX 285 to work in Windows 2000, I have heard conflicting reports of yes and no. I’d like to think yes because it XP does share the same codebase as 2000, even the windows driver model version is the same, but it gets tricky if Nvidia explicitly excluded w2000 by referencing something like “if os is equal to or greater than Windows NT ver 5.1+” that’s where issues would arise because 2000 is 5.0.

2161 - 2180 of 2215 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.