Overclock.net banner
2201 - 2215 of 2215 Posts

· Registered
1,633 Posts
No problem.

Is anywhere in this forum a thread for PC retrogaming stuff? I'll move there in case....and this thread title should be modified according to the console orientation so the two threads don't get mixed.

cheers

· technologist
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,202 · (Edited)
No problem.

Is anywhere in this forum a thread for PC retrogaming stuff? I'll move there in case....and this thread title should be modified according to the console orientation so the two threads don't get mixed.

cheers
You do... realize this club existed for more than a year before you even joined the forum, and discussion was retro consoles from the beginning, but someone asked about retro computers ( and wanted a NEC V30 box and 486 dx2 66mhz box added) so I said sure, but they also had made a homebrew portable NES among other things.

All the way up til 2017 this thread was almost 100% 80s and 90s console discussion. As I said, you are welcome to continue discussing with Twilight but I am not interested.

No place to make demands either really, read back on the first page to see, you cannot just barge in to a long existing thread and demand these things. I have no problem discussing retro pcs but would like some sort of balance and old console gaming is what I really grew up on, different design mentality from retro dos games or 3D late 90s games. If none of you are into console gaming, then go ahead without me and Ill wait until theres people actually interested in retro consoles, repair, modding, collecting, etc

EDIT: Also your build looks good- this has nothing to do with that, nor am I wholly uninterested, just want to discuss consoles too (in the era of your rig I was playing the PSX, PS2, Dreamcast etc. and wasnt into early 3D pc games, and all early 3D games have generally aged very poorly imo so if I didnt play it back then its hard to go back to old 3D pc games imo. If we could have afforded a decent machine then maybe itd be different. Congrats on your build. It must have been difficult to source the components)

· Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
ohhh the benefits of not moving much.

i wish I still had all my old stuff, but i've just moved too far too many times.

should probably get back to turning my shield into a homebrew box.

· technologist
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,204 ·
ohhh the benefits of not moving much.

i wish I still had all my old stuff, but i've just moved too far too many times.

should probably get back to turning my shield into a homebrew box.
Hey man. Did you see my kb in the keyboard thread?

Not the first time Ive heard about losing things in a move...

Did you finish the retropie for your dad? Get around to Xenoblade on Wii U yet?

· Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
Sorry, I’ll take it to another thread, didn’t mean to offend.

· technologist
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,206 ·
Think you are both misunderstanding, I shouldnt have interjected, as I said please continue. If I see anything to comment on, I will.

I have a lot of projects and a few full system recaps to do, also recap a Sega CD model 1 power board and disc drive board. Bought a spare laser for the unit recently because theyve long stopped making them. (Giant lens). I have a Game Gear with no audio to recap, and also need to recap my Sega Genesis model 1 VA5 mobo. I have a dead Sega Genesis 1 I got on ebay, and Im pretty sure a leaking cap took out pads on the right side of VDP1, I looked up the pinout and its address lines that connect the m68k to the Z-80 and system ram. I think if I replace the cap (and pull a similar spec one out of a few dead Dreamcasts and Snes lying around here) and retin the damaged address bus pins on the right side of the IC (surface mount flat pack) that maybe it will come back to life.

You all should see my soldering station. Also doubling as a place to mod and paint stuff like keyboards and case panels.

Please dont misunderstand, Id rather have discussion about pcs, rather than none. What games do you both play?

· Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
Hey man. Did you see my kb in the keyboard thread?

Not the first time Ive heard about losing things in a move...

Did you finish the retropie for your dad? Get around to Xenoblade on Wii U yet?
haha!

I did get the wii U done, its over at my apartment in Fort Lauderdale.

then half my team quit, & COVID came a few weeks later. I got sick in October/November, then most likely had the virus in late January/early February.

for the old man - I ended up ordering him a classic Texas instruments desk calculator, like the one he used at his first CPA gig. However, it died after a few weeks of use. It started flickering on/off, then nothing. So I need to open it up & figure out if its something repairable. should be.

I got the shield rooted, and have started rounding out my basic android knowledge. however, i keep having USB communication issues that make it a pain in the ass. I now have a new mini-HP desktop that works perfectly with my arduino, so hopefully that means communicating with shield won't be an issue either.

can't lie. I'm a fan of modern mini-PCs. Specially the ones with shoved full with i7, mini-dgpu, & NVME.

· technologist
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,208 ·
haha!

I did get the wii U done, its over at my apartment in Fort Lauderdale.

then half my team quit, & COVID came a few weeks later. I got sick in October/November, then most likely had the virus in late January/early February.

for the old man - I ended up ordering him a classic Texas instruments desk calculator, like the one he used at his first CPA gig. However, it died after a few weeks of use. It started flickering on/off, then nothing. So I need to open it up & figure out if its something repairable. should be.

I got the shield rooted, and have started rounding out my basic android knowledge. however, i keep having USB communication issues that make it a pain in the ass. I now have a new mini-HP desktop that works perfectly with my arduino, so hopefully that means communicating with shield won't be an issue either.

can't lie. I'm a fan of modern mini-PCs. Specially the ones with shoved full with i7, mini-dgpu, & NVME.
Whats the usb issue?

Always thought the shield looked cool. And yes, Intel NUCs or SFF machines like that are much, much better for running Kodi (Or a HTPC Linux for a set top box similar to the old Mythbuntu- havent kept up on these).

My Rasppi for example has issues with certain files, codec, etc. Seems to not like certain x264 vids, h.265 and especially Hi-10p which seems to play but will have random green or pink garbage in parts of stream. Modern Intel D-GPU is far better at encoding because of hardware acceleration for newer codecs. My pi was refusing to play (stuttering, sub 1 fps garbled mess) a x264 file, until I went to the CLI and installed ffmpeg from the repo, (what media center based on Linux wouldnt include this? osmc I guess)..

Did you know you can run Linux on a Dreamcast? With a VGA box and a CRT, at 640x480. If you get a DreamPi you can connect to the net without a Broadband adapter and play Quake 3 multiplayer, PSO, etc. With a keyboard and mouse you can use it like a pc with Linux. The DC came out in 98 in Japan too, lol. I heard I might be able to use a DreamPi to get my Macintosh SE online as well, lol..

· Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
In that case this rig will hopefully fit two purposes, to see how modern i can game on Windows 2000 (XP era games), and have a retro 98SE PC for running games natively like The first two Elder Scrolls (Arena and Daggerfall), Diablo and Diablo II, DOOM etc, Quake III, games like that that would be more fun on a period correct PC.

· technologist
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,210 ·
In that case this rig will hopefully fit two purposes, to see how modern i can game on Windows 2000 (XP era games), and have a retro 98SE PC for running games natively like The first two Elder Scrolls (Arena and Daggerfall), Diablo and Diablo II, DOOM etc, Quake III, games like that that would be more fun on a period correct PC.
Aside from Elder Scrolls, all of those are great games, especially Diablo II, which I have played. They are also multiplayer and were played heavily at lan parties, in computer labs in my HS (though that was Starcraft, I think kids played Diablo as well in there at lunch). Sort of begs the question of a lan party/multiplayer setup (maybe another rig with a null modem cable?) Unless you dont care about multiplayer...

· Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
Aside from Elder Scrolls, all of those are great games, especially Diablo II, which I have played. They are also multiplayer and were played heavily at lan parties, in computer labs in my HS (though that was Starcraft, I think kids played Diablo as well in there at lunch). Sort of begs the question of a lan party/multiplayer setup (maybe another rig with a null modem cable?) Unless you dont care about multiplayer...

Oh definitely down the line once I find someone in my area that plays those kinds of games lol.

· technologist
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,212 · (Edited)
Oh definitely down the line once I find someone in my area that plays those kinds of games lol.
id do Diablo 2 with you on Discord or something if you wanted. I had a version with working LAN multiplayer. I had no trouble running it under Win7, not sure about Win10. Id imagine we could use something like LogMeIn Hamachi to join a local vpn, then enter vpn ip in the connection menu or someone hosts a server. Id totally do UT2004 multiplayer with you as well this way if you wanted.

EDIT: I play necro in D2- skeleton mob baby

Im always down for old arcade games or console emulation too and use something like Kaillera p2p over Hamachi, or even the service Fightcade (Fightcade.com) as Ive played SFIII 3rd Strike on there since 2007 when it was called 2DF. But youll get rekt lol in that or SF2.. Those services support other games like Final Fight, etc. but you gotta find roms on your own. Id totally play Gens over Kaillera too, Streets of Rage..

PM me if you wanna do any of this...

Also EDIT: Your rig looks super clean, I see you got an upgrade, Wraith cooler cant OC well but it does look fantastic in operation, I used one for a week before getting an h100i mounting bracket and now I'm using the Liquid Freezer II 360mm..

· Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
There’s the board and CPU (sorry the camera on my phone isn’t the best)

Attachments

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Also EDIT: Your rig looks super clean, I see you got an upgrade, Wraith cooler cant OC well but it does look fantastic in operation, I used one for a week before getting an h100i mounting bracket and now I'm using the Liquid Freezer II 360mm..
yeah very nice, but I don't understand why the fan at the bottom is sucking air from the case instead of pushing it in, hot air tend to go in the upper case, that fan there seems just to suck the fresh air coming from the front fan outside of the case....anyway bit of OT here :D

I like the layout of the p3 mobo! Mine is a little bit more complicated to route the psu and ribbon cables in a vertical case

· Nvidia "shill"
1,497 Posts
I like the layout of the p3 mobo! Mine is a little bit more complicated to route the psu and ribbon cables in a vertical case
Yeah it’ll be a blast to work with, even if the board has zero overclocking options it’ll still pretty much chew through anything of that time once I get two of em in there.

2201 - 2215 of 2215 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.