Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well .. I've seen enough posts about people who have funny stories on how they managed to accidentally FRY their or someone else computer.

We all know its split like 50 / 50 on whether you should use a static strap because honestly w/ todays hardware the odds of frying something w/ static electricity is fairly remote. However if you have a story where you went all Raiden from MK on your pc w/ your finger, please share.

Heres mine!

In my 20 odd years of using computers, I've only fried two..

Lucky for me they weren't my computers, they were a customers. It was about 3 years ago. I was building a friend of mine a water cooled pc w/ entry level core 2, w/ a decent Asus mobo.

I got the machine built bled all the air out of the loop and started connecting ot the motherboard. Well apparently I smoked too much that day because I forgot to tighten down the north bridge to the chip. The w/c kit I selected before tightening down made the chipset block hover about 2 mm from the chip. I started up the machine loaded everything on it and was beginning the Overclocking per his request.

Well as most of you know an overclocked North bridge gets HOT. Well I heard a loud POP sound come out of the speakers and probably the PC too just couldn't hear it but it had actually left a crack down the NB chip. I was amazed tho w/ just thermal paste on it and no HS touching it it lasted that long. LOL Asus actually RMA'd that board.

The 2nd PC was a basic work station type PC. I was firing it up for the first time laying horizontally still from the build. Well there was a screw or something sitting on the board and ended up causing a short. I heard some snap crackle pops and kapoof that board was fried.

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
On most of my birthdays I'd get pretty excited when I would get gift cards and cash because I'd use it to upgrade whatever computer I have. Many years ago on what I believe was my 2nd computer I built, I seriously needed a video card upgrade. Took my birthday gifts and found a pretty sweet deal on a video card. Come back home to install it but couldn't find my strap... I wasn't going to go back out and drive another 30 minutes to a store that'd have one and drive 30 minutes back. So I did the old fashioned touch the metal case before touching anything... each and every time...

Excited, I got everything installed, fired it up and heard that sound where a cable is on a fan. Look inside and yes, there was a cable on a case fan. (keep in mind, no Led light in case, room somewhat dark) Reached inside to move the cable, touched the mobo in the process... crack/flash, saw a spark. "Oh... no..." Attempted to turn it back on and had the wonderful feeling of knowing the board is dead... Later, the wife comes home and sees some damages done in the study (hole in door, dent in a wall, etc.). Lesson learned... touch the case, each and every single time...

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I had a socket 462 gigabyte board I was going to make as a backup gamer with a 2800+ and some other parts for when my buddies came over.

I was putting it together, and I didnt realize the PSU was plugged in to the wall when i plugged it into the mobo, I don't know what the hell hapepend but the fans all turned on and everything lit up, but I never got a post or video out of it again
pretty sad too, that was a decent board and fairly new... It has definitely made me much more careful when working on my pc...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Heh, haven't fried much personally, but being a computer consultant I've come across many weird things..

Most recently was a client that built his own computer, only to somehow eventually kill his own PSU.. He asked me to get him a good deal on a PSU since his computer was out of action, and I got him a really nice Silverstone 700W 100% modular PSU for the price of a 600W PSU he was looking at.. About a week after he got his PSU, he called me up saying he could never get his computer working, and asked if I could have a look at it. Once I picked up the computer, I didn't even test it before opening it up.. I found the motherboard mounted in a very odd fashion, there were no standoffs on the top 6 holes, but there were two standoffs at the bottom.. The board was screwed down directly to the tray, with the standoffs at the bottom causing the board to physically bend under the stress.. Apparently this computer ran for months, perhaps a year like this! Once I pulled it out, it was still bent!

So I swapped his board out with a used one that a friend was selling, mounted it properly this time, and the rest of his components still worked perfectly once I swapped them in. Since he got a nicer PSU he also upgraded his graphics card quite considerably, but I reckon the PSU will be good for full upgrade or two, since it has a 5-year warranty.

Oh yes, and one time I did Zap a running hard-drive Raiden-style with my index finger and a nice arc.. the hard-drive was like *CLICK* -- *spin down* and I knew it was the end of that!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krusher33
View Post

On most of my birthdays I'd get pretty excited when I would get gift cards and cash because I'd use it to upgrade whatever computer I have. Many years ago on what I believe was my 2nd computer I built, I seriously needed a video card upgrade. Took my birthday gifts and found a pretty sweet deal on a video card. Come back home to install it but couldn't find my strap... I wasn't going to go back out and drive another 30 minutes to a store that'd have one and drive 30 minutes back. So I did the old fashioned touch the metal case before touching anything... each and every time...

Excited, I got everything installed, fired it up and heard that sound where a cable is on a fan. Look inside and yes, there was a cable on a case fan. (keep in mind, no Led light in case, room somewhat dark) Reached inside to move the cable, touched the mobo in the process... crack/flash, saw a spark. "Oh... no..." Attempted to turn it back on and had the wonderful feeling of knowing the board is dead... Later, the wife comes home and sees some damages done in the study (hole in door, dent in a wall, etc.). Lesson learned... touch the case, each and every single time...

wow i do all kinds of stuff in my case while it's running, and i don't even bother touching some metal....I guess I'll have to reconsider things...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL Dog .. WOW >. I'm amazed it lasted that long. On the side I run a in home computer service business and I had a kid during his interview putting a machine together as a test. Well he didn't use the standoffs and i didn't tell him ( out of curiousity ) sure enough it fried seconds after pushing the power button .. It was only a cheap 754 setup so it was worth the fun making fun of the kid afterward and making him think he had to pay for it. ( he didn't get the job fyi ) LOL

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gablain
View Post

wow i do all kinds of stuff in my case while it's running, and i don't even bother touching some metal....I guess I'll have to reconsider things...

Yeah... for me it's always "The one time I don't..."

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,229 Posts
Umm.... Does destroying your goodie parts in your system count?

I got my new PC shortly after xmax earlier this year. I got everything so that I could OC for the most apart and have a decent PC at the time. I had already OC the proc to about 3.33 or so (or something in that line) and had a crappy 500W rosewill PSU (which was maybe 70 USD). I decided to go and try to OC my graphics card (which it already was but it wasn't stable enough to play for long periods of time). So I went and looked up a pencil mod, but couldn't find a guide on how to do my card (since it was a non-reference card and it wasn't a TOXIC either). I looked and looked and thought I would try and figure it out. After studying everything for about and hour or so, I made my move. I went and penciled a resister which I though was right and put it into my case. I powered everything on and stressed it with furmark for about an hour. The thing was clocked at around 715 (the stock is 625) and it seemed to run fine without any errors. Then everything sudden shut down and the screen was blank. I took everything apart and put it back together, trying to find the source. I then smelled my graphics card, which had "that" smell. I also took out the mobo and smelled it. It too had the same thing and the same goes for the proc. I also smelled the PSU and that too had it... After having it for not even 3 weeks I had destroyed my baby. I was upset but calm. I called my mom and asked for help (she is a computer tech
and works for NetApp installing VTLs and her BF also works that and is a manager, but he too loves computers). I told her everything, she told me to go and take it someplace to get it checked. I did so and they told me my fear. The mobo was cake along with every other goodie...

After spending 808 to build my PC I asked my mom for some more help (because she has already paid for 400). She paid the 485 to get the new parts and I have had them since. The parts are better than the old ones but that is a good thing

Lesson:

Do not use crappy PSU's and do not OC your GPU if you do not know what you are doing and have a low end, underpowered, crappy PSU.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
well this is the best I got:
One day i went in to my room to see my pc unplugged. I plug it in, turn it on, boom, i see a fire and smoke. i immediatley shut it down but my mobo was killed (the voltage regulator was burned), I later figured out it was my brother who unplugged it when it happened to him with my PC. What a jerk for not telling me. So I RMA'ed the board and now my rig works fine. This was with my sig, btw.

·
No u
4,133 Posts
So far, none

But I did use the wrongs screws when putting the mobo in, used the case screws and forced it in and can't get it out xD

·
Banned
5,411 Posts
Here is the closest encounter I've had.

I just had gotten my friends computer built after several hours. For the first time, I started it up to check the bios and then get XP installed. After finishing my routine checks, I looked at the PC health status in the motherboard to see what the Q6600 was doing since I was interested in how hot it was running. I freaked, since it was running at over 100c.

Turns out that the motherboard PCI-e wire was stopping the fan on the chip. Thing's fine though, I swapped chips when I built my computer, and it's been running 3.4Ghz without problems.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
I'm so glad I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I fried my ASUS P5Q-SE as a result of Load Line Calibration while searching for that illusive 3.6 OC on my Q6600.

On the P5Q series at least from my experience the LLC option when enabled gives an enormous V-Rise. it doesnt just stay the same as the Bios setting, it boosts it dramatically.

So, stupid old me put 1.55vcore in the bios (everything else was failing...........this also leads me to another side point that IF your OC is failing it is high chance it is the Motherboard that is not doing its job, rather than the chip itself.) So I thought 1.55 should do it (it was just a stab, I forget what vcore I had prior - would have been high 1.4XXX)

Once I pressed start on Prime I saw the vcore spike to like 1.67.......... !!1111 slowly watched 2 cores hitting 72, then the third, then the fourth....all four were on 72 (with a TJ of 100 at the time...) then count 1.................2....................3.......... .......power off. Black screen. No dice. LED remained on...upon pressing the power, nothing. Power off at wall. Power back on PSU, press button, fans spin once, no dice.

Freaking out, I thought I just fried the Q6600.

out it came, into Dads, e2180 into mine. First I booted Dads to see it start, get halfway through windows load to Die. I was like FTW!!!!!!!!!1111111111111 Then I realised I haddnt seated the stock cooler in Dads properly. Re did it - booted. Sweet. It wasnt the chip.

Then I thought it was the PSU. As the e2180 would not boot in mine.

Switched PSUs with Dads, booted.

Damn. I thought....its the MOBO! All the time I was thinking "which of these is going to be more of a prick to RMA.........originally I was like CRAP! cause I had lapped the Q6600...making it null and void...anyway, the Mobo is on RMA right now- however I feel they will Reject me because The P5q-SE had a PCI-e x16 clip that faced downwards which would LOCK my GTX into the motherboard, thus unable to get it out. (Did it once, took me 1.5 hours to get it out, lots of stress, almost broke the mobo and the card's PCB in the process...moral - cut the x16 clip off if it faces DOWNWARD! The new P5Q that I replaced it with had the clip facing upward toward the NB, thus enabling the card to be removed.)

So yeah, watch LLC! and Cut the clips off.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
I was moving a top fan once in my case, with it running.

Got most of the screws out, the 3rd one, I got it loose, then it fell of the end of the screwdriver, bounced off the bottom of the case, and went right through one of the little slots in my (at the time) Antec PSU. Then I got to witness a nice firework show, all while the computer was still on. I freak'd out, and pulled th cord loose from the wall. Unmounted the PSU and shook it around till the screw fell out, hooked it back up, started it up, ran fine. So I shut down the PC then, to finish my fan moving, reinstalling the PSU all the way. When I went to turn the system back on, nothing happened.

Ended up taking out my PSU/RAM/Mobo/and 1 out of 3 HDD's. :swearing::swearing:

I now shut off the PC before I do anything on it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
This happened to a friend of mine when we both worked as bench techs at a Point of Sale systems repair shop.

I was working beside him on my own system, when he just powered on the till he had just finished repairing. All of a sudden I heard a loud crack and one of the trails on the mobo started on fire and ran from the 20pin power connector to the cpu like a trail of gun powder, sadly without the big "boom" as it reached its end.

The same friend also did something similar with an IDE cable, it burned from the inside out along the red coloured side.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I once blew my mates PC by wearing a woolly jacket when they were working on it. They all didn't use a static band so I thought I wont either, and I completely forgot how much static the jacket generates and I touched the motherboard and then booted and there was a loud pop noise and it would not boot anymore. Luckily he didn't mind and we had spare parts and managed to get the PC working again, and it was a fairly crappy build, made from scrap parts only.

Don't wear woolly jackets when touching a computer!

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Darn it... Was hoping for more stories... guess people don't want to embarrass themselves...

1 - 20 of 106 Posts