·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by vassp View Post

Hey guys, what are your windows start up times with the maximus V
series?
My start up time with my crappy laptop hard drive is 40 seconds. Not completely sure if that's fast or not.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Anybody else experiencing this issue I've read on the ROG forums... could it be a possible dealbreaker for some?
Quote:
Oh yeah, I have the Maximus V Gene, and on more than one Z77 boards ASUS has crippled the configuration options for the Asmedia controllers. In the BIOS/UEFI you can now only set the Asmedia controller to enable/disable, and to OptionROM on/off. That is it. You can't configure IDE, ACHI mode at all. So to be clear: you can configure the Intel-controlled SATA3 ports still, but you can't configure the Asmedia-controlled ports anymore (but you could with previous boards like the Z68's).

You are right to say it will mess with your boot order. I have this related problem: I install my OS to a SSD on the Intel-controlled port, and have a data SSD on the Asmedia-controlled port. What I get is this: I can't complete my OS install on the Intel-controlled SSD unless I unplug or disable the Asmedia controlled SSD. Upon reboot during the OS install, otherwise it won't boot into the Intel-controlled SSD. The reason that happens is because now, the way ASUS crippled this, the Asmedia controllers will default to IDE only and IDE takes precedence over ACHI on the BIOS level.

So basically ASUS has now taken the control away from us, and is forcing us to either manually unplug drives, or disable entire controllers in the BIOS each time we install an OS. Or, as in your case, you can forget about your chosen boot order
Only posted this in the Owners Thread because it seems to affect the Maximus V Gene users for now. Might be an issue for Futurer Maximus V Formula/Extreme owners.
redface.gif

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zk1mpls View Post

Anybody else experiencing this issue I've read on the ROG forums... could it be a possible dealbreaker for some?
Quote:
Oh yeah, I have the Maximus V Gene, and on more than one Z77 boards ASUS has crippled the configuration options for the Asmedia controllers. In the BIOS/UEFI you can now only set the Asmedia controller to enable/disable, and to OptionROM on/off. That is it. You can't configure IDE, ACHI mode at all. So to be clear: you can configure the Intel-controlled SATA3 ports still, but you can't configure the Asmedia-controlled ports anymore (but you could with previous boards like the Z68's).
You are right to say it will mess with your boot order. I have this related problem: I install my OS to a SSD on the Intel-controlled port, and have a data SSD on the Asmedia-controlled port. What I get is this: I can't complete my OS install on the Intel-controlled SSD unless I unplug or disable the Asmedia controlled SSD. Upon reboot during the OS install, otherwise it won't boot into the Intel-controlled SSD. The reason that happens is because now, the way ASUS crippled this, the Asmedia controllers will default to IDE only and IDE takes precedence over ACHI on the BIOS level.
So basically ASUS has now taken the control away from us, and is forcing us to either manually unplug drives, or disable entire controllers in the BIOS each time we install an OS. Or, as in your case, you can forget about your chosen boot order
Only posted this in the Owners Thread because it seems to affect the Maximus V Gene users for now. Might be an issue for Futurer Maximus V Formula/Extreme owners.
redface.gif
Never knew about this. Maybe Asus will come out will a BIOS update to fix it if we get on them enough. A non-issue for me though since I have a single SSD in the Intel port.

·
Registered
288 Posts
likewise. ssds running in IDE mode on the asmedia controllers would be running less than ideal though. but yeah... i guess the less important drives will be plugged in there (and the more important in the intel ones).

just putting the issue out there so that people that might have that setup in mind are aware of it. hopefully ASUS will be as well.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
288 Posts
^ Nice! Why'd you remove the Fusion Thermo heatsink?
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDown View Post

Isn't Asmedia just for a storage?
I believe so.

Pardon this (probably stupid) question: if the ASMedia SATA ports are storage-only, can I plug in an Optical drive in its port, provided that all of my other Intel SATA ports are populated? Just curious. LOL.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zk1mpls View Post

I believe so.
Pardon this (probably stupid) question: if the ASMedia SATA ports are storage-only, can I plug in an Optical drive in its port, provided that all of my other Intel SATA ports are populated? Just curious. LOL.
Can't see why not.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just got this board (and just swapped to intel) so it's still new to me, but i had to update to the latest BIOS cause i was having terrible mouse lag for some reason ( which did fix the issue). Also, when i installed my HDD( from other PC) i got a BSOD(0x0000007B) so i had to reformat my drive. I'm also getting a CPU fan error at post, i've got it plugged into the right header but it has something to do with getting below 600rpm, anyone know how to make it run 100%?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I noticed some of us use big cases with the GENE. How do you guys feel about this? I my self use a CM 690 and it's giant compared to the GENE. Also whats your guys start up time?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDMYGUN View Post

I noticed some of us use big cases with the GENE. How do you guys feel about this? I my self use a CM 690 and it's giant compared to the GENE. Also whats your guys start up time?
If the Formula and Ivy Bridge would've been available when I bought my rig I would've gotten them, but they weren't. I got the Gene because I wanted a Z77 ROG board and this was the only one available at the time. I particularly wanted it for the color scheme as I bought all my parts in a color-coordinated fashion. I specifically wanted a white/red/black build with red LEDs.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelan View Post

If the Formula and Ivy Bridge would've been available when I bought my rig I would've gotten them, but they weren't. I got the Gene because I wanted a Z77 ROG board and this was the only one available at the time. I particularly wanted it for the color scheme as I bought all my parts in a color-coordinated fashion. I specifically wanted a white/red/black build with red LEDs.
ah. When I was motherboard shopping I was actually looking to get the Sabertooth Z77 but I went with the GENE because I didn't see why I needed to spend 40$ more on a few more ports. I'm happy with my decisions but I think I'll be buying a smaller case.

21 - 40 of 4022 Posts