AMD StoreMI Technology
AMD SenseMI Technology
AMD Ryzen™ Master Utility

A word on Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO): Clicky

A note on max voltage for OC: Clicky

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,524 Posts
I'm using a B350 motherboard on my 2700x (upgraded from a 1700x) is it better to run it on stock with XFR or all cores at 4.1GHz 1.34v. I can get it stable at 4150mhz but I decided to just leave it at 4.1GHz and the voltage is not that high

Attachments

·
Tactical Moron
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
honestly for me in most cases stock works better... I have a custom loop and the chip overclocks itself to right at 4ghz on all cores under heaviest loads... and all core moderate loads it hits 4.1.... normal loads like gaming and such I see 4.2 to 4.25 ghz common... so it really depends on what you are doing... on all core loads an overclock on all cores is better in general this chip takes care of itself pretty well.

·
Tactical Moron
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wondering if you will get better clocks on that than I am on my B350... so far I see peaks routinely hitting 4.35 on up to two cores at a time.... but I can't OC past 4.25 on all cores at once

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
SiliconLottery states only 4.2GHz or so for highest bin (i.e. passing Prime95). https://siliconlottery.com/collections/pinnacleridge
* 41x multi at 1.375V
* 41.5x multi at 1.4V
* 42x multi at 1.425V

With Ryzen Master set to 1.45V on the best 4 cores I am able to hit 43.25x multi , 1.4V for 43x multi on best 4 cores.

I think that these CPUs aren't worth multiplier overclocking. The gains are mostly from memory and cache improvements AFAIK. BCLK seems to be the way to go, I will try to get a definitive answer.

PBO+ XFR2 seems to have it hit around 41-42x multi on my chip when all cores are loaded and it is in a X370 board.

For people that don't overclock it's a serious boost over Ryzen 1st gen. My first gen Ryzen is around 1750 Cinebench @ 3.9GHz - 4 GHz, this gets close to 1800 out of the box without messing with PBO so it's likely hovering around 4050 MHz.
Luckily I didn't buy two chips, I think I'm going to get an i7-8700K if Z390 comes around with some decent boards.

I've only tested it in dota 2 and it only boosts upto 4GHz at stock. I wonder maybe because I'm only using a B350 motherboard
Is your XFR2 on?

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,524 Posts
honestly for me in most cases stock works better... I have a custom loop and the chip overclocks itself to right at 4ghz on all cores under heaviest loads... and all core moderate loads it hits 4.1.... normal loads like gaming and such I see 4.2 to 4.25 ghz common... so it really depends on what you are doing... on all core loads an overclock on all cores is better in general this chip takes care of itself pretty well.
I've only tested it in dota 2 and it only boosts upto 4GHz at stock. I wonder maybe because I'm only using a B350 motherboard

·
Tactical Moron
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SiliconLottery states only 4.2GHz or so for highest bin (i.e. passing Prime95). https://siliconlottery.com/collections/pinnacleridge
* 41x multi at 1.375V
* 41.5x multi at 1.4V
* 42x multi at 1.425V

With Ryzen Master set to 1.45V on the best 4 cores I am able to hit 43.25x multi , 1.4V for 43x multi on best 4 cores.

I think that these CPUs aren't worth multiplier overclocking. BCLK seems to be the way to go, I will try to get a definitive answer.

PBO+ XFR2 seems to have it hit around 41-42x multi on my chip when all cores are loaded and it is in a X370 board.

For people that don't overclock it's a serious boost over Ryzen 1st gen. My first gen Ryzen is around 1750 Cinebench @ 3.9GHz - 4 GHz, this gets close to 1800 out of the box without messing with PBO so it's likely hovering around 4050 MHz.
Luckily I didn't buy two chips, I think I'm going to get an i7-8700K if Z390 comes around with some decent boards.
that silicon lottery bit is interesting... I hit mine with avx linepack for a few run and a few other stress tests at 4.25 @ 1.45v with no issues... board was getting warm a bit since I had LLC turned up enough to keep voltage level... but 4.2 was a breeze to get... I'll try it with prime 95 and see how that does... I usually use linepack with avx because it's pretty much as high as stress can get, but it's possible that on these prime 95 will find an issue I was otherwise unable to find

·
Tactical Moron
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
more likely to do with cooling, I'm running a B350 as well... but then not all B350's are alike so maybe... but I do have a custom loop so I suspect that has something to do with it.

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,524 Posts
more likely to do with cooling, I'm running a B350 as well... but then not all B350's are alike so maybe... but I do have a custom loop so I suspect that has something to do with it.
temps are in the reallyyyy low and with dota 2 the cpu load is ony at 20-25% so it's not being stressed that much

·
Tactical Moron
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
temps are in the reallyyyy low and with dota 2 the cpu load is ony at 20-25% so it's not being stressed that much
not sure then... this is what I see in most games I play with moderate cpu load (4 cores active)

Attachments

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,524 Posts
not sure then... this is what I see in most games I play with moderate cpu load (4 cores active)
maybe it's just dota 2. I'll try to run a few games brb

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,524 Posts
I enabled the OSD in MSI afterburner to check the clock speed and it's all over the place lol. I tried rocket league and it's ranging from 4000-4175mhz and it doesn't stay put (I saw it go as high as 4200 for just a split second) but usually stays around the 4050-4100 range. does that affect frame times seeing how clock speed changes all the time?

most of the games I've tried it's at 4000-4050mhz. I will try more

·
Tactical Moron
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I enabled the OSD in MSI afterburner to check the clock speed and it's all over the place lol. I tried rocket league and it's ranging from 4000-4175mhz and it doesn't stay put (I saw it go as high as 4200 for just a split second) but usually stays around the 4050-4100 range. does that affect frame times seeing how clock speed changes all the time?

most of the games I've tried it's at 4000-4050mhz. I will try more
shouldn't have much affect on frame times over all.... of coarse generally speaking higher clocks is better for frame times.

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,524 Posts
I decided to stick to my 4.1ghz overclock. I’ve tried a few games and usually it boosts below 4100mhz and games like pubg it hovers around 3975-4000mhz. I’ll just keep it at 4.1ghz I think I’ll get a more consistent performance with this OC

·
Tactical Moron
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I decided to stick to my 4.1ghz overclock. I’ve tried a few games and usually it boosts below 4100mhz and games like pubg it hovers around 3975-4000mhz. I’ll just keep it at 4.1ghz I think I’ll get a more consistent performance with this OC
and that's the thing with these 2700x's no two people will have the same experience... glad you found what works for you... I tried even a 4.25ghz OC and found that in many cases stock actually worked better lol... but then you saw my screen capture... and that game was one of the worst on the cpu of all I play... It's called The Crew, and it used to keep my FX running @ 75% usage on most map locations with Miami pushing it in the 80's for some reason... but on Ryzen gen 2 it's a walk in the park. Dirt 4 barely uses the cpu and then usually only two cores for whatever reason, but those two cores will boost to 4.35 ghz many times in game.

On another note, I was just playing with a 4.2ghz OC and testing with prime 95 for a bit this time... had to adjust my LLC levels a bit, but as near as I can tell setting just over 1.4v in bios with a fair bit of LLC to keep vcore from dropping below 1.39 and it so far hasn't dropped cores or froze... at first I had hard freeze but voltage dropped to 1.35 lol.... without LLC turned on the vdroop on this board is ridicules. That silicon lottery post by AlphaC has got me wondering... I had kinda assumed based on what I saw from others that 4.2ghz was mediocrity at its finest... but now it looks to be a bit rare maybe? Just don't know if I really want to leave it running for too terribly long... at 4.2 these chips can really pull some power already hit 180 watts peak power draw according to HWiNFO64

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Using PE1 on my CH VII i usually stick around 4075Mhz in BF1 which IMO is right where the cutoff is before voltages start to get nutty. PE3 boosts up to 4150, but it was only stable for like 30 minutes in RealBench before it crashed. My chip may be above average since it held 4.15Ghz @ 1.3v for 30 minutes, but i don't really see how a 4.2Ghz all core overclock would even be worth my time to test for stability.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Using PE1 on my CH VII i usually stick around 4075Mhz in BF1 which IMO is right where the cutoff is before voltages start to get nutty. PE3 boosts up to 4150, but it was only stable for like 30 minutes in RealBench before it crashed. My chip may be above average since it held 4.15Ghz @ 1.3v for 30 minutes, but i don't really see how a 4.2Ghz all core overclock would even be worth my time to test for stability.
When we will get a decent uefi 42x will be something easy at 1.32+V underload,but right now LLC,temps are f...and that huge amount of power draw when stress with IBT or p95, you won't see too often in daily usage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had gotten the upgrade itch and decided to sell my Ryzen 1700 and upgrade to a 2700X. Still using my Asus Prime X370 Pro tough. It's cooled with a Noctua NH-D15.

I'm not sure if it's normal, but I'm getting really high temps when running Prime95 small fft.
I've set the 2700X to a fixed speed of 4Ghz @ 1,2875v in the bios with LLC3. This results in a vcore of 1,256v while stressed. Temps are 73C measured at Tdie while stressing.

Isn't this a bit high? I ran my 1700 at 3,8Ghz with 1,325v with LLC3 and it never got over 67C in Prime95 and OCCT.

I've tried remounting the cooler, reapply the paste (Gellid GC Extreme). But I'm getting the same temps over and over.

I know I can let it run at stock, but I like to tinker and wanted to compare it a bit with my 1700. What temps are you guys with fixed speeds getting? Is the 2700X really this much hotter?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Pixel 2 met Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 2057 Posts