Overclock.net banner

4001 - 4020 of 4033 Posts

·
Like a fox!
2,528 Posts
Thank you for pointing it out, I haven't noticed that.
In the screenshot by Schmuckley it showed a 3800XT chip but only 6 cores and 6 threads active, so that's where I reached my conclusion.

·
Premium Member
20,111 Posts
Testing a new batch of R5 3600 and currently oc'ed to 4.2GHz all core at 1.18v. This is on a Gigabyte B550, BIOS F1. RAM is currently running using XMP.

Attachments

·
Like a fox!
2,528 Posts
Testing a new batch of R5 3600 and currently oc'ed to 4.2GHz all core at 1.18v. This is on a Gigabyte B550, BIOS F1. RAM is currently running using XMP.
Shouldn't those be clocking a lot higher than that? My ryzen 5 2600 can do 4.2 ghz allcore. A newer 3600 chip should at least do faster than that.

·
Premium Member
20,111 Posts
Shouldn't those be clocking a lot higher than that? My ryzen 5 2600 can do 4.2 ghz allcore. A newer 3600 chip should at least do faster than that.
Actually, i had to raise the voltage a bit to 1.2v. Tried a game and kept crashing. Stopped with the current volts.

Not sure if it will clock higher. Can't test while using the Spire cooler. It does seem to use a lot less volts to boot at 4.2GHz. My old one uses 1.39v for same oc. One thing, tho, it seems this new one heats up higher. So, the lower the volts the better.

Will test further.

·
Like a fox!
2,528 Posts
Actually, i had to raise the voltage a bit to 1.2v. Tried a game and kept crashing. Stopped with the current volts.

Not sure if it will clock higher. Can't test while using the Spire cooler. It does seem to use a lot less volts to boot at 4.2GHz. My old one uses 1.39v for same oc. One thing, tho, it seems this new one heats up higher. So, the lower the volts the better.

Will test further.
Oh well that explains it, you're on the stock air cooler so no wonder it gets hot. I had assumed that most people using ryzen chips would at least use some form of AIO if they're trying to overclock their processor any bit at all. The stock air coolers are for stock speed (mostly) and are going to seriously limit any overclocking potential.

·
Premium Member
20,111 Posts
Oh well that explains it, you're on the stock air cooler so no wonder it gets hot. I had assumed that most people using ryzen chips would at least use some form of AIO if they're trying to overclock their processor any bit at all. The stock air coolers are for stock speed (mostly) and are going to seriously limit any overclocking potential.
Got some custom watercooling waiting back in Africa. Just hoping to get a flight back before winter there is over to get some oc'ing done. My other R5 3600 is under a U12S.

Temp reaches 75c in Cinebench R20 at 4.2GHz.

·
AMD OVERLOCKER
727 Posts
Not true.
Got my 3600x running fine at all core 4.300 for games or 4.400 for benchmarks with stock cooler.

Games wouldn't run hotter than 60 degrees. Benchmarks would hit 92 degrees sometimes

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Got my chip! More to come!

Attachments

·
French loving Japan!
532 Posts
Super disappointed. I bought my 3600 from amazon few days ago when it was at 154$. Received it yesterday to find out its a 1922 batch

I did not open the box nor installed the cpu on my board obviously because with all these stories of poor early days chips i am not willig to keep this sample to be honest, too much of a gamble if it overclocks poorly

I would not say shaddy commercal behavior from Amazon but..

What you guys think?

·
Like a fox!
2,528 Posts
Super disappointed. I bought my 3600 from amazon few days ago when it was at 154$. Received it yesterday to find out its a 1922 batch

I did not open the box nor installed the cpu on my board obviously because with all these stories of poor early days chips i am not willig to keep this sample to be honest, too much of a gamble if it overclocks poorly

I would not say shaddy commercal behavior from Amazon but..

What you guys think?
I don't know if you even have a return case there. They did send you a new 3600 sealed in the box. Unless the listing specifically said a certain revision number in the listing? There's no guarantee what you'll get when you buy new chips like this. They probably have had this on a shelf or in a box since the 3600 first launched. It's still a new chip just like you paid for. You can try and return it though.

·
French loving Japan!
532 Posts
Where i see this bit shaddy is that in the 2nd quarter availability was poor and price high but still the chip was selling so i would have expected 2019 production was consumed

Obviously i was wrong.

looks to me like the nice deal from last month was just to get rid of these old chips that maybe people were returning knowing they would be bad performer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone with experience on the following error:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.
Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 8

I am not OC’ing, PBO is off and XMP is on with profile 1 selected. The GPU is also stock.

The error occurred three times, all times I was playing Destiny 2. The highest temperature I got playing is 72 degrees on the CPU.

Any ideas? Thank you!

·
French loving Japan!
532 Posts
It might be a 3600 someone else already returned. Early 3600's were unacceptable I would try to send it back.
My thoughts really. But i live in Japan and ordered from Amazon US in the past without similar issue

here they would charge for return on this CPU of course and i had to pay import duties so i would lose somehow $40 in the Operation so not an option.

I am starting to look for more detailed info about these early day batches like mine

Not completely sure now if that perception was because of tech reviewers not properly overclocking or the MB BIOS not being mature enough.

I read also that windows 10 scheduler update would have helped unleashing 3000series potential if thats really a thing?

What i would like to hear from people here are experiences with such early chips that would have gotten better over time.

At the end of the day its a good cpu base and a significant upgrade from my 1500x so i shouldnt be too much disappointed but i had prepated myself to significant OC with a 500series MB on the way and i dont want to give up just now

Extreme case i would sell the cpu here in Japan which i dont want to do yet, i take some more days thinking with you guys support

·
Like a fox!
2,528 Posts
I'm late to this with all talk about early 3600's be bad about something .. but they auto overclock great !

https://youtu.be/Nr9bIGS9nDs
AMD Specifies up to 4.2 ghz boost stock for the 3600. I'm not sure if I would consider +125 Mhz as "great" for an overclock. But that's just me.

·
French loving Japan!
532 Posts
I'm late to this with all talk about early 3600's be bad about something .. but they auto overclock great !

https://youtu.be/Nr9bIGS9nDs
you are giving me hopes here because I would be more than OK with such an OC.

can you confirm what was your CPU production batch or at least when you bought it? also your sig is suggesting a B350 MB but the YT tube video description shows X370 being used, can you confirm that as well and if you are on latest BIOS?

without being a pain, maybe also your BIOS settings?

Thanks so much

Olivier

·
Overclocker
6,942 Posts
And we have another "gold sample CPU" lol.

Does anyone know this guy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just take a brief look at his videos.
Most "reviews" appear to be unboxing, reading spec sheet and showing photos.
In this very video testing CPU and attempts showing "CPU" benchmarks in 1440p. Showing Vcore in CPU-Z only.

5 subscribers/video in average content being in English.
Do you really expect proper stability testing to be done? Possibly just tested with what you see in the benchmarks.

Regardless I'd say it's safe to say silicon quality improved. But going out because of this and buying a 3600 and expecting a "fair chance!" getting 4.5/4.6Ghz with sub 1.3V... I don't think so. That's deceptive.

4001 - 4020 of 4033 Posts