Overclock.net banner

4021 - 4033 of 4033 Posts

·
Like a fox!
2,528 Posts
Regardless I'd say it's safe to say silicon quality improved. But going out because of this and buying a 3600 and expecting a "fair chance!" getting 4.5/4.6Ghz with sub 1.3V... I don't think so. That's deceptive.
Actually that's exactly what we should expect.. if it's a 3600XT. But a normal 3600, nope, you are right it's probably not going to happen.

• Rep+
Reactions: Schmuckley

·
Registered
354 Posts
4.4GHz all core/thread OC with 2600X... plenty load under LinpackXtreme.

Attachments

·
Overclocker
6,942 Posts
Just take a brief look at his videos.
Most "reviews" appear to be unboxing, reading spec sheet and showing photos.
In this very video testing CPU and attempts showing "CPU" benchmarks in 1440p. Showing Vcore in CPU-Z only.

5 subscribers/video in average content being in English.
Do you really expect proper stability testing to be done? Possibly just tested with what you see in the benchmarks.

Regardless I'd say it's safe to say silicon quality improved. But going out because of this and buying a 3600 and expecting a "fair chance!" getting 4.5/4.6Ghz with sub 1.3V... I don't think so. That's deceptive.

Yep, that was exactly my point. I asked for proof on another page on Facebook but a buddy of him and he were going nuts and another friend of them was an moderator and they blocked me lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, that was exactly my point. I asked for proof on another page on Facebook but a buddy of him and he were going nuts and another friend of them was an moderator and they blocked me lol.
:doh: What a douche. Well, there's knowledgeable and transparent reviewers.. and those above.

·
Premium Member
20,111 Posts
Don't get too carried away by built-in benchmarks. The R5 3600 or the older R5s are nowhere near the top in the cpu benchmark in Apex, for example, but that does not mean you can't win games. We all know there are other factors in play like good kb, mouse, monitor, etc.

Stock R5 3600, 3200 MHZ CL 16.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,028 Posts
Testing a new batch of R5 3600 and currently oc'ed to 4.2GHz all core at 1.18v. This is on a Gigabyte B550, BIOS F1. RAM is currently running using XMP.
The XTs are worth it!

Mine will run @ 4.55Ghz stable.
Don't hold me to it, but I think @ 1.28V, maybe a bit more.

XTs are higher binned.

·
Premium Member
15,028 Posts
In the screenshot by Schmuckley it showed a 3800XT chip but only 6 cores and 6 threads active, so that's where I reached my conclusion.
Yeah. The SMT hurts single thread performance..at least it did before the XT chips. Did not notice much single thread difference with the newer chip. (Weird)
Cutting SMT does reduce heat, though.

·
Like a fox!
2,528 Posts
Yeah. The SMT hurts single thread performance..at least it did before the XT chips. Did not notice much single thread difference with the newer chip. (Weird)
Cutting SMT does reduce heat, though.
But then if you actually need to do some sort of heavy multi-core thing.. (editing and converting recorded game footage for youtube for one example), SMT will seriously help a lot.

·
Overclocker
6,942 Posts
:doh: What a douche. Well, there's knowledgeable and transparent reviewers.. and those above.
Ye well, i can't sleep less about it lol.

He has no idea what he is talking about and calling an CPU stable for only submitting an CPU-Z score and refusing to post other results is not very trustworthy imo.

·
French loving Japan!
532 Posts
I am terribly impatient.

I started a thread few weeks ago thinking to move from a 1500X (3yrs old) to a 3600, bought a 3600 sample from teh US that turned up to be early 2019 production so I sold it and then was claming down a bit, leaning towards waiting for Ryzen3 announcement before making a call (I received a good 2nd hand B550M Steel legend board in the interim, for $80).

Having read a lot about comparing both chips on pure gaming duties since, I dont do video editing or streaming, I decided to look at the 3500 as an alternative and yesterday Amazon Japan had a pretty good deal for me Prime user and I bought the chip ended up at around $135 new. I can return it with 30days if it doesnt fit.

just trying to figure now between letting XFR/PBO do their magic vs Manual OCing.

I know this chip is meant to be available in Asia only but are there people over here who got one sample and did some OCing on it?

I will discover that particular BIOS but could find a review showing some details on Voltage, IF ratio and LLC etc that I did not have available on my B350 PRO4 board

I have LPX RAM ranked for CL16 3200Mhz that I could push stable to 3066Mhz CL14 so hoping to get a benefit here as well

just trying to figure now whats best between letting XFR2/PBO do their magic vs Manual OCing in the BIOS, or even using Ryzen Master inside the OS.

I know this chip is meant to be available in Asia only but are there people over here who got one sample and did some OCing on it that could provide some guidance?

thanks so much

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,414 Posts
I am terribly impatient.

I started a thread few weeks ago thinking to move from a 1500X (3yrs old) to a 3600, bought a 3600 sample from teh US that turned up to be early 2019 production so I sold it and then was claming down a bit, leaning towards waiting for Ryzen3 announcement before making a call (I received a good 2nd hand B550M Steel legend board in the interim, for $80).

Having read a lot about comparing both chips on pure gaming duties since, I dont do video editing or streaming, I decided to look at the 3500 as an alternative and yesterday Amazon Japan had a pretty good deal for me Prime user and I bought the chip ended up at around $135 new. I can return it with 30days if it doesnt fit.

just trying to figure now between letting XFR/PBO do their magic vs Manual OCing.

I know this chip is meant to be available in Asia only but are there people over here who got one sample and did some OCing on it?

I will discover that particular BIOS but could find a review showing some details on Voltage, IF ratio and LLC etc that I did not have available on my B350 PRO4 board

I have LPX RAM ranked for CL16 3200Mhz that I could push stable to 3066Mhz CL14 so hoping to get a benefit here as well

just trying to figure now whats best between letting XFR2/PBO do their magic vs Manual OCing in the BIOS, or even using Ryzen Master inside the OS.

I know this chip is meant to be available in Asia only but are there people over here who got one sample and did some OCing on it that could provide some guidance?

thanks so much
Zen2 doesn’t seem to have RAM stability issues like Zen and Zen+ that I’ve noticed, so if you have a 3200 kit regardless of the die, it should run 3200. Also idk if I’d keep that 3500X, AMD is making an announcement about Zen3 on October 8th so after they launch you could probably get a 3600X/XT or even a 3700X for that price, that’s what the grapevine has told me anyway so don’t 100% hold me to it. However I do know that we’ll see Zen3 before we see RDNA2 for a fact.

·
French loving Japan!
532 Posts
Thanks

I have gone a bit further since my last post, actually benchmarking a 2nd hand 3500X (also got for $135) and 2nd hand 3600X with a used but like new B550M Steel Legend board.

I could OC the 3600X all core @4.4Ghz but with 1.35V stable in AIDA64, CBR20 and Gaming. Was crashing above that, whatever voltage I was throwing at it.
But the 3500X could reach 4.4Ghz with 1.235V and 4.475Ghz @1.3V stable in the same testing than above.I am pretty sure with more time and tweaking I can reach 4.5Ghz with that chip, without going insane voltages.

The FPS benchmarks in the Games I play were showing even better results with the 3500X(higher frequency., no SMT effect?) and temps were lower than with the 3600X

Cherry on the cake is that I could get my RAM OC to 3333Mhz CL15

I fully hear what you say now that Zen3 announcement is coming but honestly I dont see Zen2 CPUs pricing falling apart over here in Japan

And looking at current 1700/2700 chips used prices, I certainly dont see an 8C/16T like the 3700X coming at that price I paid for the 3500X so I will leave my Rig as it is for now and few years I believe.
Before upgrading to a Zen3 since its being said my B550M board will support them.

thanks again for your comments though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So I was running my ryzen 3600 , 4.3GHZ @ 1.162v get in Prime95. I tried going up to 4.4GHZ but I dont think I can do that while staying within the fit voltage. My chip seems to be fairly okay considering it is stable at 4.3GHZ @ 1.162 and can do 3800/1900 MHZ fclk as well. The fit voltage for the chip seems to be 1.237 under prime 128fft custom load which is low from what I can see.

Anyway, as 4.4Ghz wasn't stable at 1.237v, I thought maybe I can go down to 4.2GHZ and see how low I can take the voltage. 1.075v set, 1.062 get was stable for 50ish minutes in Prime95 @ 4.2GHZ. So I bumped the voltage up a little to 1.0875 set, 1.075v get in prime95, and that is Prime95 with avx, OCCT small data set avx2 and Intel burn test stable.

I then managed to take CCX0 to 4.25GHZ while keeping CCX1 at 4.2GHZ at the same voltage of 1.075v which gave me a small bump from when both CCX are synced at 4.2GHZ. My cinebench score is 85 points lower at this setup than what it was at 4.3GHZ but thats okay (currently getting 3880ish score). Temperatures are around 12 degrees lower in prime/occt and 10 degrees in cinebench. I think I'll keep the lower voltage at 4.25/4.2 GHZ as I really cant tell the difference between that and 4.3GHZ.

4021 - 4033 of 4033 Posts