Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
Looks great. I will be picking it up for my Vive. Thank God it's not another Oculus exclusive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superplush View Post

Looks fun, I can't help but get the feeling all this "VR Hype" has died and left us with a vacuum of "We have this tech .. soo what's coming out for it" feeling.

At least I get the feeling that VR has stalled right at the gate so far.
VR was already expected to have a very slow start with the high price of these VR systems. VR sales actually exceeded expectations as every system selling out within minutes and now a wait for a VR system after purchase is back-ordered 2-4months.

We are not going to have mass adoption of VR until units get smaller with higher res, but for us that have tried it, it's a game changer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it may have just come out too soon. It's new tech and it cost near the amount it costs to build a computer. Not everyone has that kinda cash and if they do, they're probably building a new computer. The developers who are releasing the good games probably are still in Alpha state. Takes a few years for a AAA game to go through development, might be the same with this VR case. Most of the stuff released seems like it was made in a week.
 

·
Overclocker
Joined
·
11,636 Posts
I can enjoy games on a flat panel more than on a pixelated narrow degree VR. They need to make them proper first 180 hor def and 2x2k screens minimum. Right now it seems more like they are at 90-120 hor deg and 2x1k screens.
I know there are to be some proper 210 hor deg VR headsets but they are still not released. Maybe with better density screens and more powerful GPUs it will move better than so far, decades upon decades and VR still sub par.

Tech dome looks nice but a single MP mod isn't gonna cut it for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpykeZ View Post

I think it may have just come out too soon. It's new tech and it cost near the amount it costs to build a computer. Not everyone has that kinda cash and if they do, they're probably building a new computer. The developers who are releasing the good games probably are still in Alpha state. Takes a few years for a AAA game to go through development, might be the same with this VR case. Most of the stuff released seems like it was made in a week.
The main problem is that the user base is currently too small, it wouldnt make sense to create a AAA game dedicated to VR.

The most we can hope for for now is probably AAA games that suppport VR and traditional screens, and the dedicated VR games with a lower production value.

Maybe that will change when future generation consoles begin supporting VR.
 

·
A title was here
Joined
·
4,118 Posts
Question for the VR owners.

Do you get that crazy super-immersive feel when in VR games ?

Like watching a 70mm IMAX movie, but better ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superplush View Post

Looks fun, I can't help but get the feeling all this "VR Hype" has died and left us with a vacuum of "We have this tech .. soo what's coming out for it" feeling.

At least I get the feeling that VR has stalled right at the gate so far.
Games are not the only thing you can use with VR
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascii Aficionado View Post

Question for the VR owners.

Do you get that crazy super-immersive feel when in VR games ?

Like watching a 70mm IMAX movie, but better ?
Cockpit games are so, so cool in VR. In fact, Elite: Dangerous has been my favorite experience so far. I sold my DK2 a while back (waiting for some spare cash to grab a consumer version) and I tried playing on a flat panel in the mean time, and I just couldn't seem to get into it... The magic was gone.

The sense of scale cannot be matched on a flat panel. When undocking for the first time, I out-loud said, "whoa." Not only did it feel like I was actually sitting in a ship's cockpit that I could look around in, but the station actually felt so damn big. The amazing thing is that you didn't need another object near by to reference it's scale, your brain just knows it's big. It's hard to explain, but it's a pretty cool experience. Oh, and tracking targets is just totally natural as they move around your ship.

Racing games are a ton of fun as well, you can actually sense how far a corner is instead of trying to gauge based on landmarks or how quickly an object is growing. Being able to look towards the apex and check mirrors naturally just makes the experience that much cooler. I can imagine those motion-cockpits that some hobbyists have made will make the experience all that more real.

It's not without it's flaws, of course. The current price/performance of graphics is a huge limiting factor currently. Even if the VR headsets had the capability to display 4K resolution, you'd need at least another $600-1000 in graphics hardware to push it to the 75-90 FPS target.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorNine50 View Post

Cockpit games are so, so cool in VR. In fact, Elite: Dangerous has been my favorite experience so far. I sold my DK2 a while back (waiting for some spare cash to grab a consumer version) and I tried playing on a flat panel in the mean time, and I just couldn't seem to get into it... The magic was gone.

The sense of scale cannot be matched on a flat panel. When undocking for the first time, I out-loud said, "whoa." Not only did it feel like I was actually sitting in a ship's cockpit that I could look around in, but the station actually felt so damn big. The amazing thing is that you didn't need another object near by to reference it's scale, your brain just knows it's big. It's hard to explain, but it's a pretty cool experience. Oh, and tracking targets is just totally natural as they move around your ship.

Racing games are a ton of fun as well, you can actually sense how far a corner is instead of trying to gauge based on landmarks or how quickly an object is growing. Being able to look towards the apex and check mirrors naturally just makes the experience that much cooler. I can imagine those motion-cockpits that some hobbyists have made will make the experience all that more real.

It's not without it's flaws, of course. The current price/performance of graphics is a huge limiting factor currently. Even if the VR headsets had the capability to display 4K resolution, you'd need at least another $600-1000 in graphics hardware to push it to the 75-90 FPS target.
ED in VR is superb. Got a taste of it from a friend and I'd already have a headset but the manufacturers are really running their nails down the chalkboard for me. Oculus with their underhanded tactics for keeping exclusivity on titles and Vive for.... Well actually my only beef with the Vive is that it doesn't currently work well with ED without a player-made mod and FDev is taking their sweet time fixing this problem, and ED is the only game I want to play with a VR headset right now. Once it's fixed I'll probably spring for one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpykeZ View Post

So how does like, mouse looking work than? Like do you still look around mostly with your mouse and then you can kinda still move your view around with the VR?
You can, if you want to give yourself a roller coaster ride every time your hand twitches.
tongue.gif


Turn mouselook off if you have any sense and you're still using a mouse. Most players in games like ED who can afford a headset already have a HOTAS setup, so mouselook is already gone. Same for driving sims, these people usually already have a wheel. In FPS games the devs will be smart to do what Valve did with TF2 and disconnect the gun from the camera. If you have TF2 in VR mode you can aim in one direction with the mouse and look in the other direction with your headset. Takes FPS to an entirely new level, especially with the Vive's controllers.

Having a headset completely changes how you control the game. For instance in Elite: Dangerous if I wanted to keep my mouse movement as a function I would remap it to my vertical and lateral thrusters. Move my mouse up, my ship hovers vertically. Move it to the right, my ship strafes right, etc...

Edit: Actually that's not true, the mouse functions wouldn't change in ED. I've been using a HOTAS for so long I had a lapse in memory.
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I have an acer predator 1440p ips gsync monitor and I rather use my rift in virtual desktop mode. I rather play regular games in a huge screen in my rift than a tiny 27 inch monitor. It's more immersive. VR games are a completely different story. Horror games will make you **** yourself and I can keep going. Yeah it'll be better down the line when gen 2 comes out but for now it's very good.

Edit: in fact the only reason I use my monitor now is so that I don't completely separate myself from my wife when she's home. If it wasn't that immersive I wouldn't have that issue.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,352 Posts
I have a question for VR headset owners: what is the picture quality like? I've only ever tried VR through my Galaxy S7, and although it was fun, low resolution (screen door effect?) and significant blur everywhere except the very center of my vision turned me off pretty quick.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascii Aficionado View Post

Question for the VR owners.

Do you get that crazy super-immersive feel when in VR games ?

Like watching a 70mm IMAX movie, but better ?
VR cannot be compared to any game or movie that is observed from a monitor/screen. Is a complete paradigm shift that puts your mind/body inside the gaming world. While there is still a long way to go to get us to the Holodeck level of VR where it is indistinguishable from reality. There have been great strides in the technology these last few years, that is "good enough" to make your mind believe you are somewhere else, especially when you can walk around and have your hands inside the virtual world like the Vive currently produces. Immersive? HELL YEAH! There is nothing like it! But one must try it out for one's self to understand how well the technology works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superplush View Post

Looks fun, I can't help but get the feeling all this "VR Hype" has died and left us with a vacuum of "We have this tech .. soo what's coming out for it" feeling.

At least I get the feeling that VR has stalled right at the gate so far.
Problem with VR currently is lack of cheap hardware that can power the resolution and fps needed to enjoy it. Once you can buy a single GPU at the $200-$300 range that can provide that result the market will be like that. I believe the only reason VR is doing so well atm is porn, it's a pass time that doesn't require a super beefy PC to enjoy and that a majority of those online do, thus it has exploded over the past year.

Once the tech catches up to the proper price range that same crowd will shift over to gaming and make it normal. Very few people are buying GTX 980 tis / 1080 in SLI to power VR.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist86 View Post

Problem with VR currently is lack of cheap hardware that can power the resolution and fps needed to enjoy it. Once you can buy a single GPU at the $200-$300 range that can provide that result the market will be like that. I believe the only reason VR is doing so well atm is porn, it's a pass time that doesn't require a super beefy PC to enjoy and that a majority of those online do, thus it has exploded over the past year.

Once the tech catches up to the proper price range that same crowd will shift over to gaming and make it normal. Very few people are buying GTX 980 tis / 1080 in SLI to power VR.
lol I like that pornhub has a dedicated VR section now
tongue.gif
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top