Overclock.net banner
10121 - 10140 of 10194 Posts

· PC Gamer
3,117 Posts
^^ hype.

Guess I'll grab a pisces package.
^^ nail on head.

"is the game ever getting a release date" right? The scope creep doesn't help this issue WHAT SO EVER. CR should'a stuck to the original scope (or slightly larger) & fleshed out from there, they say.

they, however will call it a scam no matter the end product. They are too dedicated to being prophets of failure to have it any other way.
ou no buddy, did you get the SC bug? they have mountains of technical debt they cant dig themselves out of. dont throw your money into the oven. if you really think it will come out eventually, they either play free weekends or wait till then

· Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
ou no buddy, did you get the SC bug? they have mountains of technical debt they cant dig themselves out of. dont throw your money into the oven. if you really think it will come out eventually, they either play free weekends or wait till then
yeah I think $45 is plenty enough. not a penny more. It takes away from my profits from flipping and refunding my old accounts.

· Premium Member
25,629 Posts
It was sarcasm. The game will never be finished and will just keep adding features unto infinity
That was a valid concern a few years back, but the development has been pretty steady the past few years. The game itself is getting more and more playable, it's close to being worth the $45 as-is, much less when it's done. If they had to throw out every single feature in development and release what they had now with a little more polish, the game would absolutely be worth $60.

Honestly though, the game is still just going to be $60 on release. There's no reason you have to spend $45 and play an unfinished game when you can just wait and pay the extra $15 for the real thing in a few years. It's not like they are having any trouble with money, unlike what some past articles thought. This year has already beaten any previous years in income for CIG.

· Questionnaire galore!
11,377 Posts
They could add VRS eventually to improve performance.

· Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
for now, they don't waste much time on optimization. eventually though, it'll get smoother.

· Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
SQ42, 2021. full universe, some time after they've utilized all the single player (SQ42) metrics to tune the verse. All we know for sure is SQ42 is supposed to hit beta at some point in 2020, a holiday release is a lofty thing to expect if you understand The Roberts.

or something along those lines, the last time I checked.

· Questionnaire galore!
11,377 Posts
Most importantly when can we have no wipe PU..

· Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
years

just like any other pre release content, the final wipe will happen the last night of PU beta.

· Premium Member
25,629 Posts
When can I actually play it properly?
It really depends on what you mean by play it properly. A full polished game? Hard to say, but years still.

3.8, the patch scheduled to release around the end of the year, is adding a lot of missions and such, so there's easily going to be $45 worth of stuff to "do" in game. There's going to be server crashes, etc so you'd have to be okay with playing an alpha. Also there's still a lot of placeholder systems, where something was slapped in quick so they could have it working and test other things out, but they don't spend any development time on it because it's going to be replaced.

A good example of a placeholder system is shields and the damage system in general. Right now shields have "holes" where the shield does not cover a part of your ship. If you get hit in the "shield hole", you take full damage as if your shields were down. They are not wasting any development time on fixing this, because the shields work well enough for other systems to get tested (weapons, flight in general, enemy AI, etc). The system they are actually working on will contour the shields to the ships model, so you don't have any uncovered areas. The damage system is going to have all the ballistic weapons have properties, instead of damage values. The bullets will have weight and speed. The shield will have a set amount it can block in an area, and it will let the rest through. The bullets then strike the armor, and penetrate as deep as the remaining kenetic energy lets them after being slowed down by the shield. If a bullet passes through the armor, the game then checks what is behind that armor and damages it appropriately. Instead of having the developers working on that waste time making the current system that will be thrown away better, they are just leaving it as-is and working on the real one.

If you want an experience with the actual game systems in place, I would say check back next year. The game can be pretty fun currently and is worth the $45 to me, but I really like this kind of game and am willing to deal with a bunch of stuff not working right.

· Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
^ example of this in existing games = arma.

calculated out inertia, kinetic, that is.

· Premium Member
25,629 Posts
^ example of this in existing games = arma.

calculated out inertia, kinetic, that is.
Well I don't think they plan to do the bullet physics like Arma, just use the numbers to figure out armor penetration, etc. Arma's bullet physics are pretty awesome. For the most part what SC is doing is going to be the slowing down of penetration, and not all the arcs and richochet like Arma does. The main "revolutionary" thing about SC's implementation is that the bullet will just damage what is passes through, it doesn't just do a set damage amount to an area. This requires all the components and even power wires going to them to be part of the ships model so they can get damaged when hit by a bullet, and harm your ships function appropriately. This also ties in to repair crews, you'll have people go to damaged area and put in field repairs to restore some function back. In Arma I'm pretty sure it's still damage numbers, and the bullet just does a smaller number after going through a wall.

video is a good watch for anyone not Familiar with Arma's system:

· Questionnaire galore!
11,377 Posts
Is this the first time RSI did a sale on ALL packages like this?

Or have they done it in the past?

Attachments

10121 - 10140 of 10194 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.