Overclock.net banner

201 - 220 of 240 Posts

·
WaterCooler
4,269 Posts
Hi,
Yeah just making an observation from your images subs appreciate that
But ciarlatano correct people get the same milling marks on all plexi from ek at much higher prices
Optimus plexi is nice and clear heck I scratched mine trimming the o-ring flush lol so that are the only scratches on it.
View attachment 2465902
Ever seen holograms on a car's paint? That's what I can see all over that Optimus plexi you posted.

Seems the plexi won't ever be perfect, but good enough. My biggest concern would be quality of the coldplate.

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
Ever seen holograms on a car's paint? That's what I can see all over that Optimus plexi you posted.

Seems the plexi won't ever be perfect, but good enough. My biggest concern would be quality of the coldplate.
Hi,
lol holograms you've been watching too much star trek :D

·
WaterCooler
4,269 Posts
Hi,
lol holograms you've been watching too much star trek :D
That's what they are called. Looks like this:

I definitely see similar marks all over that Optimus Plexi.

EDIT: Or are you saying you scratched yours that caused all those?

·
Registered
820 Posts
I seriously doubt any brand would waste the time to get the interior side of the block completely devoid of marks that would be an absurd time investment lol. You don't see them once you fill them up with water really so not sure what the point would be either.

If thrash is talking about a slight matte finish that's an aesthetic choice has nothing to do with "quality" lol.

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
That's what they are called. Looks like this:

I definitely see similar marks all over that Optimus Plexi.

EDIT: Or are you saying you scratched yours that caused all those?
Hi,
Why not an actual example from the image I posted lol
These are scratches I caused with razor blade that had a burr on it I missed.
The rest you call "holograms" are actually reflections from the cooling fins appearing from weird lighting.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
So got both my optimus foundation am4 and techn am4 in the mail today. Both have bent fins on the outer edges but the techn is slightly worse but nothing I would think would cause any performance issues.

The issues I do have with the techN revolve around the already flaked nickel plating on a number of the fins with one big spot that looks like a copper burr connecting three fins together.

Also, I order a black version, box is labeled black, but it is actually silver lol.

The photos are below. Not the best quality since I only have a phone and don't feel like taking apart the techN as I will be returning it. If it wasn't for the flaking and copper burr I would probably keep it, but galvanic corrosion is sure to take place in the already flaked off areas (I have seen this before in areas where nickel and copper are exposed to each other in water). I will take the optimus apart for closer inspection once it goes into the loop.
Techn:

You can see the bent fins on the bottom left. That is really the only problem area. The top left by the nozzle you can see that big mark connected between 2-3 fins, that is bare copper and looks like a burr. All the other random dots/marks you see on the fins are also flaked off nickel. There are about a dozen flake offs in total, probably slightly more.

Lol not black.

Can see the dots/flaking a bit better on this one. Fins do look very good aside from the one are in the bottom left.
Optimus:

You can see the bent fins on the left, mostly but the left end of the jet plane. The right side also has a bent fin though less noticeable.

Again, sorry for the garbage photos. You can see the bent fin here on the bottom right (would have been left side side in first pic). Can barely see the bent fin on the left by the nozzle.

So that's it. Gonna keep the optimus. Really a shame because I had been waiting for the techN to come in stock on performance-pcs for a while.

Attachments

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
Hi,
Yeah the wonkier the cooling fins are the more failing/ weak spots the nickel plating has pretty much why I prefer copper no way the plating will come off :)
Better binning for sure needed.
I use a filter before the water blocks on my systems
If using a techn nickel best to have a filter after the water blocks to catch fragments before they get into rads.... ;)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Hi,
Yeah the wonkier the cooling fins are the more failing/ weak spots the nickel plating has pretty much why I prefer copper no way the plating will come off :)
Better binning for sure needed.
I use a filter before the water blocks on my systems
If using a techn nickel best to have a filter after the water blocks to catch fragments before they get into rads.... ;)
Yeah, it is what it is. Flaking nickel really won't hurt much, worse it can to is possibly get down to the pump oring and cause some harm but that would be pretty rare.

The more concerning issue is the copper remains/burrs remaining in the fins. Looking closed there seem to be about 4 of them.

Those very bright copper spots you can see are actually pieces of copper stuck inbetween the fins themselves. Am tempted to open it up and use a tooth brush to try and get them out or see if the are still connected to the fins.

Overall the fins are really good looking as you can see. I don't think the few bent ones would make any difference. You can see the same problem on the optimus as well as in the review samples sent to Igor's and guru3d.

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
Hi,
Yeah they'll like come off later
I use a filter to keep small stuff from clogging the block but not all the time usually only a couple weeks because they are pretty restrictive the ones I use they catch everything :)
Spectre 2369 Premium Clearview Fuel Filter

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
well from the first inspection there are no issues with it ... at least that I can clearly notice. ( there was a small dot on the top left but it was a particle that I removed ... just some small thingy that landed there.

I must admit, I was "***" in the first moments I saw the fins bent... :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday.
Bigger cap on the right, with some wiggle, but nothing to worry about. I disassembled it also. Clean inside, no burr etc visible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What temps are people getting with a 5900X?

I'm getting about 45-50C idle, 65-70C Cinebench with PBO off, 80-81C with PBO on

I'm running 3x GTS360 and 2x D5 pumps with a 3080 in the loop.

PS. this is my 2nd mount, admittedly might be bad but just wanted to check before trying again

·
Registered
166 Posts
What temps are people getting with a 5900X?

I'm getting about 45-50C idle, 65-70C Cinebench with PBO off, 80-81C with PBO on

I'm running 3x GTS360 and 2x D5 pumps with a 3080 in the loop.

PS. this is my 2nd mount, admittedly might be bad but just wanted to check before trying again
What's your coolant temperature?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I purchased the TechN AM4 Waterblock as a replacement for my ageing EK Supremacy Evo which was a solid workhorse for around five years or so. I was not expecting massive improvements moving to the TechN, I was hoping just for a few degrees in every-day loads as it was peaking at just over 80 degrees so I was hoping to keep under that with all the same settings.

I tried to look for imperfections from an external view (did not want to open up the block) but it looked absolutely fine to my eyes.

Installation was straightforward, although I much prefer the mounting mechanism of the EK block which holds the block in place a little better rather than having it slide around trying to get the threads in. Thankfully the results are good so I don't think this caused a problem! It's been so long since I used any other type of CPU cooler so not sure how it compares to others.

This is not intended to be a particularly scientific analysis, but just a very rough comparison of the two. I did make some other minor configurations to my loop at the same time (moved the drain port around, changed the position of the radiator) but nothing that should have massively impacted the flow or temperature.

The rest of my loop is: EK Res and D5 Revo combo, 2 x EK PE 360 radiators, Corsair XG7 3080 FE waterblock, Mayhems X1 coolant. Fractal Define 7 case.

My 5900x settings are: PPT: 230w, TDC: 190a, EDC: 200a. Scalar: Auto. Boost Clock: 50Mhz, Thermal Limit: Auto, Curve Optimiser: -21, -23 and -30 on the rest. LLC Auto

Both waterblocks were mounted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Tests were done in 22 degree ambient temperature, and started with water temperature at 27 degrees. Case was open and all fans/pump on max. Measurements using the latest HwInfo v6.34 beta.

R20 (three runs of multicore)
Aida 64 Stability Test - 15 mins
Prime 95 Small FFT and default settings - 10 mins

Sadly I do not have a flow sensor yet so was not able to take any measurements for this.

MeasurementR20 - EKR20 - TechNAida 64 - EKAida 64 - TechNP95 - EKP95 - TechN
Tctl/Tdie79.474.884.681.087.383.5
CPU Die (Average)79.174.482.278.987.083.3
CCD1 (Tdie)79.87587.382.887.084.0
CCD2 (Tdie)79.574.886.382.888.383.5

So overall I'm very happy with those results, given I'm only a few hours in and I think there are still some air bubbles about. A four to five degree improvement in heavy loads is pretty good to me and exceeded the two or three degrees I was looking for. It matches the couple of reviews I've seen of the block.

Finally, the customer service from Romain and the team at TechN was excellent. Like everyone else, they had issues shipping to the UK but they kept me informed and let me know as soon as it was available to pre-order to the UK. They then proactively updated me with timelines and shipping updates when inclement weather hit Germany. Thankfully the shipping went without a hitch, all paperwork etc correctly filled out and it arrived in just a few days.

I look forward to seeing what else TechN can bring to the market in future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What's your coolant temperature?
Coolant temps are approx 38C. Sorry didn't reply sooner, was waiting for my flow meter to arrive, now I think it may be a flow issue.

Just ordered two more D5 pumps, when they arrive will rejig the whole system including re-seating the TechN block and see how it goes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmm got a big problem I noticed while re-jigging my loop.

Looks like a lot of corrosion or algae in the fins.... full disclosure, I ran the loop for about a month with distilled water only, without additives while I was getting extra parts. Is this possible to clean out?

201 - 220 of 240 Posts