Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 534 Posts

·
Freeflushots
Joined
·
3,460 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GH0 View Post
Or just up the power to the antenna. That will expand the range.
How would i do that? (they're internals btw)

And where would the fun be in not modding it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,688 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCh3F View Post
How would i do that?

And where would the fun be in not modding it?

You could do both =D

Go to Wireless - Advanced Settings, there you could change the TX Power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,081 Posts
Think DD WRT would be safe to run on a 1.1 revision of the WRT300N? I looked into it when I first bought the router. Some places said that there was a good chance it would damage the router. I'm kinda over it though, the coverage sucks on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,688 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Think DD WRT would be safe to run on a 1.1 revision of the WRT300N? I looked into it when I first bought the router. Some places said that there was a good chance it would damage the router. I'm kinda over it though, the coverage sucks on it.
It is perfectly fine to run DD-WRT on the WRT300N, but you must flash the mini version then flash the standard or mega version.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkknight512 View Post
I highly urge you to update to the latest SP2 beta build, UPnP, logging and some other stuff don't work properly on SP1 Stable... More info here.
Thanks for the info. I added it to the list of links in my original post.

Now, about transmit power. TX power is kind of a complicated thing. You need adequate power to reach far enough, obviously, but with more power comes more noise. The trick is to find a TX power that hits the sweet spot between signal and noise (best SNR.) With my setup, this is around 90mW. Yours will almost certainly be different, so mess around with it a bit to find that good balance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Think DD WRT would be safe to run on a 1.1 revision of the WRT300N? I looked into it when I first bought the router. Some places said that there was a good chance it would damage the router. I'm kinda over it though, the coverage sucks on it.
Should be just fine. I've heard of plenty of people doing it without issues, there is a trick to it though, just research thoroughly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,688 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OC Me View Post
Thanks for the info. I added it to the list of links in my original post.

Now, about transmit power. TX power is kind of a complicated thing. You need adequate power to reach far enough, obviously, but with more power comes more noise. The trick is to find a TX power that hits the sweet spot between signal and noise (best SNR.) With my setup, this is around 90mW. Yours will almost certainly be different, so mess around with it a bit to find that good balance.
I agree, but I haven't had the time to tweak mine, so I just leave it at the firmware default, 70 mw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,688 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OC Me View Post
I added a link to an SD/MMC card mod for the WRT54GL in my original post. I'm curious, has anyone here attempted this? I've got a spare SD card just lying around and I'm thinking about giving it a try.
I'm pretty sure it works, a lot of people use, it but it all depends on if you are actually going to use the storage. If I had the time to figure it all out I would be storing packet captures on an SD card, but right now I have a CIFS mount for doing that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I just got done flashing my WRT54GL with DD-WRT to use it as a wireless adapter for my XBOX when I go camping this weekend (the campsite has wi-fi) and it would help clean up some wires around the house. The install was easy, setting it was as an adapter was the trouble. But it's all working great now thanks to the helpful DD-WRT forums.

I might have to try out the fan mod, and buy some higher powered antennas. Right now overclocking helps with connection speed, but even overclocking it to 216mhz makes it unstable. If I order the Asus WL-500W from Newegg when I get back (my Rosewill has been acting up and I want to have 2 routers with DD-WRT) I might throw in the order of a fan to try things out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
I just picked up WRT54G-TM v1.0 with DD-WRT Mega. Should be here tomorrow. I'll be doing a fan mod to overclock it and maybe a paint mod (flat black) to it next week or so as well I hope its a nice upgrade from my BEFSR41 v3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Quote:


Originally Posted by b0mbshell
View Post

I just got done flashing my WRT54GL with DD-WRT to use it as a wireless adapter for my XBOX when I go camping this weekend (the campsite has wi-fi) and it would help clean up some wires around the house. The install was easy, setting it was as an adapter was the trouble. But it's all working great now thanks to the helpful DD-WRT forums.

I might have to try out the fan mod, and buy some higher powered antennas. Right now overclocking helps with connection speed, but even overclocking it to 216mhz makes it unstable. If I order the Asus WL-500W from Newegg when I get back (my Rosewill has been acting up and I want to have 2 routers with DD-WRT) I might throw in the order of a fan to try things out.

You should check out my fan mod if you haven't already. I've had my GL at 250 MHz (the max) and 90 mW TX for a week running completely stable.

I'd like to try Mega. If I ever get around to doing the SD card mod, I will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OC Me View Post
You should check out my fan mod if you haven't already. I've had my GL at 250 MHz (the max) and 90 mW TX for a week running completely stable.

I'd like to try Mega. If I ever get around to doing the SD card mod, I will.
That's what actually gave me the inspiration to do the mod. It seemed like a great idea, the only problem is that I'm not sure where to get a heatsink from that will work. Any ideas? Would something from here work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...atsinks%20only
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,688 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by b0mbshell
View Post

That's what actually gave me the inspiration to do the mod. It seemed like a great idea, the only problem is that I'm not sure where to get a heatsink from that will work. Any ideas? Would something from here work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...atsinks%20only


Quote:


Originally Posted by b0mbshell
View Post

I just got done flashing my WRT54GL with DD-WRT to use it as a wireless adapter for my XBOX when I go camping this weekend (the campsite has wi-fi) and it would help clean up some wires around the house. The install was easy, setting it was as an adapter was the trouble. But it's all working great now thanks to the helpful DD-WRT forums.

I might have to try out the fan mod, and buy some higher powered antennas. Right now overclocking helps with connection speed, but even overclocking it to 216mhz makes it unstable. If I order the Asus WL-500W from Newegg when I get back (my Rosewill has been acting up and I want to have 2 routers with DD-WRT) I might throw in the order of a fan to try things out.

You probably dont need a fan on there, I put a 486 heatsink on mine and its running at 250 Mhz (Max overclock)

These should work nicely you should have enough for 3 routers in one pack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Quote:


Originally Posted by Darkknight512
View Post

You probably dont need a fan on there, I put a 486 heatsink on mine and its running at 250 Mhz (Max overclock)

These should work nicely you should have enough for 3 routers in one pack.

I dug through an old junker rig and found an aluminum heatsink on the northbridge. It was basically the heatsink with a piece of double-sided tape on the bottom. You might need to use more than one, but those heatsinks will work well, especially since they're copper. Stick them on the big Broadcom chip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,688 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,081 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0mbshell View Post
I just got done flashing my WRT54GL with DD-WRT to use it as a wireless adapter for my XBOX when I go camping this weekend (the campsite has wi-fi) and it would help clean up some wires around the house. The install was easy, setting it was as an adapter was the trouble. But it's all working great now thanks to the helpful DD-WRT forums.

I might have to try out the fan mod, and buy some higher powered antennas. Right now overclocking helps with connection speed, but even overclocking it to 216mhz makes it unstable. If I order the Asus WL-500W from Newegg when I get back (my Rosewill has been acting up and I want to have 2 routers with DD-WRT) I might throw in the order of a fan to try things out.
You take your 360 camping?
 
21 - 40 of 534 Posts
Top