Overclock.net banner

521 - 534 of 534 Posts

·
Enjoy Life!
869 Posts
The nighthawk seems like it has better speed for single devices and its cheaper I am probably just going with it.

·
: ( ) { : | : & } ; :
3,545 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Linksys Wrt300n 2

Running: dd-wrt v24 mini

3.99$ at goodwill
thumb.gif

Using in client bridge connection for home pc (wireless pci cards are too spendy)

Thoughts on changing to repeating bridge for better throughput to my NAS?

·
: ( ) { : | : & } ; :
3,545 Posts

·
Politically incorrect
9,404 Posts
Maybe i should start selling Chinese TP-Link routers as they won't have this stupid restriction.

·
Registered
896 Posts
VPN performance on any router is terrible. Though it's better than nothing, on my Archer C7 I get around 20mb.
might move to pfsense soon

·
Premium Member
3,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrockh View Post

VPN performance on any router is terrible. Though it's better than nothing, on my Archer C7 I get around 20mb.
might move to pfsense soon
I get 150Mbps using AES-256 on my $50 router...I think its max performance is 450 Mbps using AES-128. So you don't necessarily have to spend a ton to get decent VPN performance.

http://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/hEX-161103103915.pdf

You can also put DD-WRT on it if you wanted to, but it would kind of be a few steps back compared to RouterOS that comes with it,

One day I will build a box for pfsense as well, just don't have a need for it right now.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the9quad View Post

I get 150Mbps using AES-256 on my $50 router...I think its max performance is 450 Mbps using AES-128. So you don't necessarily have to spend a ton to get decent VPN performance.

http://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/hEX-161103103915.pdf

You can also put DD-WRT on it if you wanted to, but it would kind of be a few steps back compared to RouterOS that comes with it,

One day I will build a box for pfsense as well, just don't have a need for it right now.
very neat! what do you use for your wireless? Ubiquity?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Used to run DDWRT back when WRT54Gs were pretty much everywhere. The signal boost and extended range from upping the TX power led me to become further interested in networking, security, and and linux. Right now I run ASUS Merlin almost exclusively. I have an ASUS AC66U as my main router, while my older N66U is bridged to it. Haven't had any issues in bridge mode on the latest release of Merlin.
I've been meaning to go back and try Tomato, it seemed that all of the various projects and forks just fell apart. I was reading about Advanced Tomato which seems pretty interesting. Anyone got any input on what it's like?

Edit: On my MIPS N66U, I would be lucky to get over 10 Mbit/s up/down on the VPN client. I haven't given it a try on the AC66U, but it would probably be best to wait until I can get a router with at least a dual core processor, but ideally Plex Support
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
3,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrockh View Post

very neat! what do you use for your wireless? Ubiquity?
Actually I can't run cat6 to APs so I went with Orbis as APs. I'm letting the hex do the routing though, kind of expensive just using them as APs but they work really well.

·
Registered
896 Posts

DD WRT has some pretty graphs about usage! usually I'm around 250GB per month, but Oct 2016 saw some incredible usage. Oh well, no data caps woop woop

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

Maybe i should start selling Chinese TP-Link routers as they won't have this stupid restriction.
I have the U.S. version (the one with the "locked" firmware) and was able to flash it with the latest LEDE snapshot of OpenWRT, and then use PuTTy (an SSH client) to install LuCi (the GUI). It worked great. Then I went to the latest beta of DD-WRT which I'm running right now. DD-WRT is OK but it has it's weaknesses... setting up Static DHCP is a pain, and it doesn't have as many packages available as OpenWRT does (adblock). And also OpenWRT is on the 4.9 Linux kernel whereas DD-WRT is still on the 3.10 kernel. I'm only sticking with DD-wrt because I hope to get the OpenVPN server running soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/16/14) kongac
(SVN revision 23900M) on a NetGear R7000. I am trying to upgrade firmware to dd-wrt.K3_R7000.chk 2014-04-17. I did a hard reboot, factory restore, and flashed the new firmware, did a hard reboot, and it is still showing the same firmware in the GUI. Any ideas why?

521 - 534 of 534 Posts