Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 10714 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
hopefully I shall have a screenshot in the morning with more than 8+ hours prime. hopefully during that time my temps stay below the 75c mark. my highest core so far was72c, but temps usually stay in the high 60's. Hopefully the +.05 bump in vcore shouldn't really make that much of a difference in temps. catch ya'll later.
wave2.gif

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
hey guys a little update:

so I bumped the vcore up by +0.5 to 1.472 (load volts, bios is set to 1.485v) and left prime running last night, well I woke up and found that my pc restarted after 8 hours of prime
sozo.gif
. sorry I dont have a screenshot but I do have the results.txt if that helps lol.

On top of that I thought maybe I could do something else to help the temps even further. I reseated the block and re applied some ic7 and let it cure a for a couple of hours, guess what it helped
applaud.gif
it shed a few degrees of the load temps
eek.gif
. I think this time round, that is the best seating I have got with the perfect amount of TIM. Anyways I'm doing another run on prime with the same volts and ambient temp, screenshot with temps will be up soon.

By the way if I bump up the vcore another +0.05 it will go to 1.49 (in bios), which I'm thinking is a little on the high side, what do you think?

Would you leave at 1.472 (load volts) with 8+ hours prime blend stable or bump up the vcore +0.05 to 1.49 and get it 12+ blend stable?

EDIT: sorry but I also increased all 6 fans on my rad from the lowest possible setting to about a 1/4(so its still silent
biggrin.gif
), which must have helped with drop in temps.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Just curious man, how did you increase your fan speeds to max? I'm struggling with the same issue, I don't think my fans are running full speed so it's hard to get to 4.8ghz+.

We have the same Bios.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by munaim1;12778480
hey guys a little update:

so I bumped the vcore up by +0.5 to 1.472 and left prime running last night, well I woke up and found that my pc restarted after 8 hours of prime
sozo.gif
. sorry I dont have a screenshot but I do have the results.txt if that helps lol.

On top of that I thought maybe I could do something else to help the temps even further. I reseated the block and re applied some ic7 and let it cure a for a couple of hours, guess what it helped
applaud.gif
it shed a few degrees of the load temps
eek.gif
. I think this time round, that is the best seating I have got with the perfect amount of TIM. Anyways I'm doing another run on prime with the same volts and ambient temp, screenshot with temps will be up soon.

By the way if I bump up the vcore another +0.05 it will go to 1.480, which I'm thinking is a little on the high side, what do you think?

Would you leave at 1.472 with 8+ hours prime blend stable or bump up the vcore +0.05 to 1.480 and get it 12+ blend stable?

EDIT: sorry but I also increased all 6 fans on my rad from the lowest possible setting to about a 1/4(so its still silent
biggrin.gif
), which must have helped with drop in temps.
well if it restarted at 1.472 after 8+ hours, i would say back down the overclock or up the v. entirely up to you but if it restarted i wouldnt consider it stable.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
8 hour blend test is fine for 24/7. I found that an 8 hour blend test failed the new AVX Linpack for SP1 within 5 minutes. Took a bit of tweaking to get AVX Linpack stable. Then again the 8 hour prime blend saw about a month and a half of daily use without BSOD so I'm not saying blend is unreliable, just saying it's not the best per se.

Depending how long you want to keep your chip, it may not be worth going above 1.48v to 1.49v although your cooling is amazing. If your board allows you to do this, drop CPU PLL below 1.7v, I actually tweaked it down to 1.65v to pass AVX Linpack and that seemed to have helped me. I think you can set the pwm frequency on the Asus boards up to 350hz, doing that may help you achieve stability at 5.1 w/ 1.464v as it lowers the ripple going into the cores. I'm just trying to suggest things that don't involve increasing vcore but ultimately vcore is king.

You must also consider your chip would likely be able to do 5 Ghz with much lower volts than most of us, but 5.1 is worth trying for tho.

Prime95 blend takes ages to be honest, AVX Linpack for sp1, although the temps and current draw on the cpu is much higher than blend, is a very quick efficient stability test. While prime95 blend might take 7 hours to pop up a BSOD, that OC would fail AVX Linpack in under 10 minutes, allowing you to spend more time tweaking and less time waiting for 8 hour blend runs to fail. If you try AVX Linpack however, it would be wise to lower your ambients, just to give you an idea cpu watts during blend sit at about 118w, for AVX Linpack I've seen 152watts so expect some serious heat. The only way my air cooling can handle that is sub zero ambients lol. I should go for WC but I gotta save 4000$ for tuition.

You have a very nice chip there.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen;12772155
Same thing I'm wondering. I just got my rig built yesterday, OC'd to 4.5 and I got 70c max recorded temp over 8 hours of Blend.

Some say it's 75c, but I'm not sure.
My H50 keeps my 2500k @ 58C load @ 4.7 Ghz / 1.33 vcore
wink.gif

Rasa 360 comes in today
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen;12778574
Just curious man, how did you increase your fan speeds to max? I'm struggling with the same issue, I don't think my fans are running full speed so it's hard to get to 4.8ghz+.

We have the same Bios.
well it's not on max just a 20% increase on all the fans, sorry I didn't mention that im using a fan controller.

Also dropped the bclk back down and increased the multi to 51.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Destroyer;12778579
well if it restarted at 1.472 after 8+ hours, i would say back down the overclock or up the v. entirely up to you but if it restarted i wouldnt consider it stable.
well is 1.480 considered high? my temps are slightly better than before.

Anyways here is before I reseated the block and all fans where at the lowest settings.

nwc6qw.png

Reseated the block and increased all 6 fans on rad by to 20% and upped the vcore by 0.05 to 1.472

nydan6.png

I know its only an hour on both but gives an indication that reseating the block worked better for temps.

i think my next run will be a bump in the vcore by +0.05 and highest vcore of 1.48 and that will be as far as I go.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
No one really knows how much volts these chips can handle, people will tell you different things. I've had no issues or degrading pumping 1.45v - 1.46v 24/7 for 2 months but my cooling is the bottleneck unfortunately so I have not had a chance to go any higher on the core voltage. My chip does 74c after 8 hours of blend, IMO you have nothing to worry about in terms of temps, stop trying to tweak it haha.

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion667;12778796
8 hour blend test is fine for 24/7. I found that an 8 hour blend test failed the new AVX Linpack for SP1 within 5 minutes. Took a bit of tweaking to get AVX Linpack stable. Then again the 8 hour prime blend saw about a month and a half of daily use without BSOD so I'm not saying blend is unreliable, just saying it's not the best per se.

Depending how long you want to keep your chip, it may not be worth going above 1.48v to 1.49v although your cooling is amazing. If your board allows you to do this, drop CPU PLL below 1.7v, I actually tweaked it down to 1.65v to pass AVX Linpack and that seemed to have helped me. I think you can set the pwm frequency on the Asus boards up to 350hz, doing that may help you achieve stability at 5.1 w/ 1.464v as it lowers the ripple going into the cores. I'm just trying to suggest things that don't involve increasing vcore but ultimately vcore is king.

You must also consider your chip would likely be able to do 5 Ghz with much lower volts than most of us, but 5.1 is worth trying for tho.

Prime95 blend takes ages to be honest, AVX Linpack for sp1, although the temps and current draw on the cpu is much higher than blend, is a very quick efficient stability test. While prime95 blend might take 7 hours to pop up a BSOD, that OC would fail AVX Linpack in under 10 minutes, allowing you to spend more time tweaking and less time waiting for 8 hour blend runs to fail. If you try AVX Linpack however, it would be wise to lower your ambients, just to give you an idea cpu watts during blend sit at about 118w, for AVX Linpack I've seen 152watts so expect some serious heat. The only way my air cooling can handle that is sub zero ambients lol. I should go for WC but I gotta save 4000$ for tuition.

You have a very nice chip there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion667;12778934
No one really knows how much volts these chips can handle, people will tell you different things. I've had no issues or degrading pumping 1.45v - 1.46v 24/7 for 2 months but my cooling is the bottleneck unfortunately so I have not had a chance to go any higher on the core voltage. My chip does 74c after 8 hours of blend, IMO you have nothing to worry about in terms of temps, stop trying to tweak it haha.
At the moment im doing 1.472 which is just over 8 hours blend stable. About the pll and pwn frequency, I will definitely take a look at those. Thanks for the suggestions
applaud.gif
+rep

come on
tongue.gif
this is ocn, tweaking is only good if it actually works!!
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Oh you're 8 hour blend stable? That's all you need really for 24/7 use, the only way I would see an 8 hour blend test fail is maybe folding for days. Anyway nice OC +1

• Rep+
Reactions: munaim1

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion667;12779270
Oh you're 8 hour blend stable? That's all you need really for 24/7 use, the only way I would see an 8 hour blend test fail is maybe folding for days. Anyway nice OC +1
thanks bro. now only thing left to upgrade is ssd and maybe another 460.

Just past the two hour mark on prime and it seems that reseating has helped knock off 2/3c off load.
biggrin.gif

dmbcyx.png

If again im 8 hour blend stable with 1.472 then I might just leave it there. temps are looking very good.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Yea man best of luck with it!

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion667;12779538
Yea man best of luck with it!
so far so good, same settings but only difference is that I reseated block and applied new TIM. Just past the 4 hour mark and temps are still looking awesome, hasn't gone above 70c
biggrin.gif

2iapn2v.png

Like I said before, if this is stable again for 8+ hours I would most likely try two more things before I finish.

1: if I 'feel' like 8+ hours is not enough I may just bump vcore + 0.05 to 1.480.

2: Stay at 1.472 and as suggested by scorpion, i'll take a look at the pwn frequency and try lowering or increasing pll from 1.75 to see whether I can stablise 1.472 in prime for atleast 12 hours.

be back soon with an update.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyboyd;12772107
Wait a minute. Your batch sounds familiar.

Damn, we're 1 number apart. Probably created from the same sheet (or something).

Run some benchmarks like cinebench and super pi next
biggrin.gif

I got mine to 5.4 with 1.45v but it was too hot for every day use. I bet you can go higher. See my sig for some validation.
here's the best time I got on superpi and cinebench. while doing cinebench I oc gpu to 930c/1860s/2100m.

evcn6f.png

By the way I stopped prime after 7 hours and I think im just gona leave it at this. temps stayed below 70c and its currently at 5.1 ghz and memory at 1866mhz. thanks for everyone's help.

EDIT: I'm gonna do 100 runs on IBT just to be sure.
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hey guys, there wasn't really going to be an update for this but here is blend @ 9 hours. voltage exactly the same just increased just fan settings from 25% to 50% made temps a little better. now at mid 60s. not sure as to why it failed at 8 hours before.. vcore at 1.472.

344tkq8.png

9 hours is enough for me, but we'll see how long it goes for
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hey little update.

12 hour blend ftw
gunner.gif

bhjfk0.png

Im going to stop it there and do 20 runs on IBT to see what temps I hit, but for now highest core hit 70c and rest usually stay in mid 60s after a 12 hour blend, which I personally think is AWESOME
biggrin.gif

Now for a suicide run
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Here's the IBT run, it's couple of degrees higher than prime but not that much, highest core hitting 72c. Passed 40 runs in 1 hour, safe to say that I have a 100% stable overclock
biggrin.gif

30w371l.png

anyways again, whats the highest vcore I could run on a suicide run without killing the chip.

21 - 40 of 10714 Posts