Overclock.net banner

10701 - 10714 of 10714 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been running my i7-2600K at 4.4 GHz ever since November 2011 when I first got it. I recently decided to try for a higher stable overclock and settled on 4.7 GHz @ 1.39 vcore, occasional spikes to 1.404 in monitoring programs. I love the hell out of this chip and I don't foresee an upgrade for several years more. If I can make it to 2020 with the same girl named Sandy that blessed my life in 2011, I'll be the happiest computer user in the world.

Suffice to say I'm getting old, but they just don't make 'em like they used to.

Long live Sandy Bridge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, is this thread still alive?

Im looking for some help with my i5-2500k and P8Z68-V LE mobo. Id like to overclock my CPU but im not that familiar with OCing because ive been doing it so little and the biggest problem to me is to know the right settings in BIOS and how OFFSET works. If somebody would be nice and tell me the right settings in bios and explain me a bit about offset and im good to go. atm im running at 4,7GHz at 1,45V and id like to take volts a bit down and maybe get to 4,8 - 5,0GHz if its possible. Thank you for advance!

·
Registered
85 Posts
We need a Stable Coffee Lake Club!

·
A.K.A. Droptimus
2,288 Posts

·
Work Hard Play Hard!
85 Posts
7 years later I have found you! Hello Sandy Club.

·
Work Hard Play Hard!
85 Posts
I've been running my i7-2600K at 4.4 GHz ever since November 2011 when I first got it. I recently decided to try for a higher stable overclock and settled on 4.7 GHz @ 1.39 vcore, occasional spikes to 1.404 in monitoring programs. I love the hell out of this chip and I don't foresee an upgrade for several years more. If I can make it to 2020 with the same girl named Sandy that blessed my life in 2011, I'll be the happiest computer user in the world.

Suffice to say I'm getting old, but they just don't make 'em like they used to.

Long live Sandy Bridge.
How funny when I first got my 2600k I got it to 4.7 but ran it at 4.4 forever until recently trying to get on board with 160hz gaming.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Obvious but relevant necro...

It's crazy how long lived and how useable these CPUs have remained. My 2600K has suffered some degredation in the last couple of years. I settled for 4.3GHz on air, until a couple of years ago when I upgraded to a full custom watercooling loop. I was able to achieve 4.95GHz @ 101x49, with about 1.48v vcore. I settled in with a "daily use" OC of 4.9Ghz 100x49 1.46v, however it was quite "spiky" coming on and off load, and would sometimes spike to 1.5v, which I think is what degraded the chip. I've since been using it at 4.6GHz 1.44v

I've managed to prolong the life of this setup with a few changes over the years. Originally I built it with 2x 2GB sticks of 2133MHz RAM, and a few months later added another pair. In hindsight this was a poor setup, but it worked. (I never understood at the time that the IMC was the limiting factor, not the RAM). In recent years I've swapped to 2x 8GB 1866MHz modules, going as far as to buy similar G.Skill RipJaws X modules, and swapping the blue heatspreaders onto the new (red) sticks. I'm still having fun with it now, doing my first real memory overclocking, tweaking primary and secondary timings. I found the IMC will handle 2133MHz with 1.21250v. In hindsight, that was probably also too much.

I've been using this machine since I had an 8800GT, through to a GTX560Ti, a GTX970 and currently a watercooled GTX980Ti. How bonkers is that?

It's a vastly different machine than it used to be, but it's kept up all the same.

I'll be retiring it soon. I've got a Crosshair VIII Dark Hero on pre-order for the 19th January, and hope to find a 5900X when availability improves and Scan finally clear their pre-orders. I'm eyeing up some 2x 16GB 3600MHz CL16 Samsung B-die RAM to boot.

I'm quite fond of my old machine, and I'm glad I can retire it in working condition. Maybe I'll frame it and mount it on the wall :)

I'll upload some "first built" and "present day" pictures, if anyone cares to see them?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Totally agree... still running sandy bridge and Ivy bridge based stuff in my daughters PC, as well as my HTPC and various other systems with modern GPUs in them. Only recently upgraded a few of my main machines this summer to Comet lake stuff and the gains really werent that huge for what I do.
Long live Sandy bridge!

10701 - 10714 of 10714 Posts