Overclock.net banner
2121 - 2140 of 2181 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
I plan on ordering Day1, or at least attempting to do so. I didn't think clearance was an issue when I rexamined my case last night. If it's close, I'll slap some insulating tape on the IO panel.
A friend of mine! rejoice that you live in the united states of america! in russia with the purchase of these video cards on the day of the start of sales, everything is much more complicated! In the best case, I can buy 3080 closer to New Year's holidays, or even in general in 2021.
Regarding the control panel of the system dlock, I will say the following: it will not need to be wrapped with electrical tape, but carefully sawed with a dremel! Although, now there are more photos on the Internet, I look at it and think that the rounded corners are a very good solution. And in general, the reference sample was made very beautiful. I would hate to change my THERMALTAKE Core V1 to any other case.
Okay, let's wait and see :)

· Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I plan on getting the EVGA XC3 3070 when it releases. The card is described to be a 2.2 slot card, do you think it would still fit? I do not want to dremel or mod anything, should I just get a new case? I love the Core V1.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys, I plan on getting the EVGA XC3 3070 when it releases. The card is described to be a 2.2 slot card, do you think it would still fit? I do not want to dremel or mod anything, should I just get a new case? I love the Core V1.
Hello my friend! I will have to upset myself, but not a single card will go there, the width of which is more than 2 slots! There are 2 options for you: either install founders editorial, or you have to change the system case.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello my friend! I will have to upset myself, but not a single card will go there, the width of which is more than 2 slots! There are 2 options for you: either install founders editorial, or you have to change the system case.
Thank you for the quick response. That is very sad, I love this case and do not want to replace it, but I guess it is time to move on. I would love to hear everybody's ideas for an alternative that isn't too expensive that would fit 3rd party cards for the 3070/3080!

I have had this case for 5 years and wanted it to last another 5!

· Registered
16 Posts
Thank you for the quick response. That is very sad, I love this case and do not want to replace it, but I guess it is time to move on. I would love to hear everybody's ideas for an alternative that isn't too expensive that would fit 3rd party cards for the 3070/3080!

I have had this case for 5 years and wanted it to last another 5!
from not expensive and compact cases, I can recommend you the following models:
1. COOLER MASTER MasterBox Q300L BLACK MCB-Q300L-KANN-S00 Window
2. ZET GAMING Rare Minicase MS4
3. Thermaltake S100 TG CA-1Q9-00S1WN-00
4. Thermaltake Core V21 [CA-1D5-00S1WN-00]

· Registered
36 Posts
Here is a link that I have found very useful for sizes of the 3070/3080/3090's. Of course the chart is to see if it fits the NZXT H1 Case but still the measurements still help I think.

GeForce 3080/3090 H1 Compatibility Chart - Google Drive

I hope that 'Big Navi' can still fit in my v1 case when it is released. So far it looks like the 3080fe and the EVGA XC3 should fit. The 3070 looks like they all should fit since I do not see any of them being too wide. Now if/when the 3080 ti/s comes out I can see some different dimensions in those cards possibly and maybe they can make then slightly shorter to fit our v1 cases.

I was thinking of going the v21 case when I did my build last year but I have done WAY too many ATX/mAtx builds so I wanted a itx build (using the v1) which has been my most fun build of all my PC builds since. the 90's.

· Registered
11 Posts
RTX 3080 FE is a 2 slot card (not 2.2, 2.5 etc) 285mm long and 112mm high. Core v1 has ~120mm of GPU height clearance and fits ~290-295mm of length. Should be fine. Cable routing might get a little ugly for stock cases. Me? I made sure to dremel out an extra cm of clearance while I made space for the 2x92mm exhaust. So routing the cables over the card shouldn't be an issue, if I go that route. Personally, I'm hoping for a EVGA 3080 SC dual fan.

And speaking of exhaust, 320W is a lot of heat. I've got pair of 2300RPM Scythe Kaze's in there. They look nice and sound better. I'd hate to have to toss some 2700RPM+ screamers in there. Half the reason I pulled out the stock fans mounts is because any 80mm fan that could move enough air for my 1080Ti was going to sound like a server.
PNY GeForce RTX 3080 10GB XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB Triple Fan Graphics Card

This one is like 293 mm, I wonder if it will fit, as you did say ~290-295

· Registered
16 Posts
Here is a link that I have found very useful for sizes of the 3070/3080/3090's. Of course the chart is to see if it fits the NZXT H1 Case but still the measurements still help I think.

GeForce 3080/3090 H1 Compatibility Chart - Google Drive

I hope that 'Big Navi' can still fit in my v1 case when it is released. So far it looks like the 3080fe and the EVGA XC3 should fit. The 3070 looks like they all should fit since I do not see any of them being too wide. Now if/when the 3080 ti/s comes out I can see some different dimensions in those cards possibly and maybe they can make then slightly shorter to fit our v1 cases.

I was thinking of going the v21 case when I did my build last year but I have done WAY too many ATX/mAtx builds so I wanted a itx build (using the v1) which has been my most fun build of all my PC builds since. the 90's.
I analyzed a lot of information received about 3080 from real owners and came to a sad input :(
The new video cards turned out to be very hot and it's all the fault of the new memory of the DDR4 standard, which was used by NVIDIA. The only reasonable solution would be to buy a video card with a 3-slot cooling system, otherwise there is a risk of chip destruction as a result of very strong heating. I decided to refuse buying a reference card precisely because of the weak cooling system.
I have to give up the idea of using my beloved THERMALTAKE Core V1 Mini-Tover and chose a new Cooler Master MCB-Q300L-KANN-S00 case, today I ordered it and on Saturday I will be moving all the components :( Unfortunately, I have to admit that there is no other I do not see a reasonable solution, but I am glad that the new assembly will also be moderately compact and will allow for good cooling of the new video card.

· Registered
48 Posts
The 3080 uses GDDR6X for VRAM and while most of us are uncomfortable with the idea of any component hitting 100+c, that temp is actually within Micron's spec for GDDR6 (throttle at 110c). Hot VRAM is not a new thing with Nvidia Founders Edition, or a lot of blower cards from the past and present. Just because aftermarket coolers chill the RAM to lower termperatures does not mean such measures are required. Specs are specs for a reason.

The hot RAM also isn't because of the 2-slot cooling design, but because Nvidia didn't choose to apply thermal pads to some of the VRAM chips. So the chips don't even even conduct heat to the cooler in the first place. If RAM overheating turns out to be a problem (and, let's be honest, they'll figure that out long before most of us even get a chance to buy a 3080 FE) they'll silently issue a new hardware rev because the most likely outcome of overheated RAM is performance throttling. I'm not aware of any reports of real world throttling (unlike every other issue with this release) so without further evidence I'd say worrying about it is an overreaction.

PNY GeForce RTX 3080 10GB XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB Triple Fan Graphics Card

This one is like 293 mm, I wonder if it will fit, as you did say ~290-295
Afraid not. That's a 2.5 slot design. So far, the only design that appears to fit in the V1 is the Founder's Edition.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I've been going over this topic and noticed some people mentioned micro ATX boards on their builds? Or maybe there's ITX versions of those boards I just couldn't find?

Either way I wanted to know if anyone ever try modding it to fit an mATX board. I'm quite limited for choices ITX-wise in my country, and I was thinking if I should switch cases for an upgrade or if there's a way to fit a mATX on the V1 at all. I have a Snow edition and I love it, I wish I didn't have to ditch it.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hello, I've been going over this topic and noticed some people mentioned micro ATX boards on their builds? Or maybe there's ITX versions of those boards I just couldn't find?

Either way I wanted to know if anyone ever try modding it to fit an mATX board. I'm quite limited for choices ITX-wise in my country, and I was thinking if I should switch cases for an upgrade or if there's a way to fit a mATX on the V1 at all. I have a Snow edition and I love it, I wish I didn't have to ditch it.
This case only supports the motherboard ITX standard. Unfortunately, it will not work to install a micro-ATX motherboard.

· Registered
16 Posts
The 3080 uses GDDR6X for VRAM and while most of us are uncomfortable with the idea of any component hitting 100+c, that temp is actually within Micron's spec for GDDR6 (throttle at 110c). Hot VRAM is not a new thing with Nvidia Founders Edition, or a lot of blower cards from the past and present. Just because aftermarket coolers chill the RAM to lower termperatures does not mean such measures are required. Specs are specs for a reason.

The hot RAM also isn't because of the 2-slot cooling design, but because Nvidia didn't choose to apply thermal pads to some of the VRAM chips. So the chips don't even even conduct heat to the cooler in the first place. If RAM overheating turns out to be a problem (and, let's be honest, they'll figure that out long before most of us even get a chance to buy a 3080 FE) they'll silently issue a new hardware rev because the most likely outcome of overheated RAM is performance throttling. I'm not aware of any reports of real world throttling (unlike every other issue with this release) so without further evidence I'd say worrying about it is an overreaction.
I will hasten to disagree with your statement!
Yes, the operating temperatures of the new memory in the 3080 FE version are within the stated specifications, but! But this does not mean that operation at temperatures close to critical will have a positive effect on the resource of components. I agree with the warranty period equal to one year, the card will work, but what will happen next is known to one God :) I am not the son of Rockefeller and I am not satisfied with this state of affairs, because I plan to purchase a card for a period of 5 years and I am very concerned about its post-warranty period of operation. It is for this reason that I will opt for third-party manufacturers, although the design of the 3080 FE version turned out to be very beautiful. And unfortunately I was forced to change the THERMALTAKE Core V1 Mini-Tower case to the Cooler Master MCB-Q300L-KANN-S00 case. In this case, I will keep the THERMALTAKE Core V1 Mini-Tower. Perhaps someday I will return to him again.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, just bought this case in prep for a 3080. Just measured the GPU slot and it's 48 mm wide. So EVGA XC3 should fit as it is 285mm/2.2 Slot (45.1mm).
Hey guys, just bought this case in prep for a 3080. Just measured the GPU slot and it's 48 mm wide. So EVGA XC3 should fit as it is 285mm/2.2 Slot (45.1mm).
Yes I agree, that's the card I'm going to go for.

· Registered
48 Posts
The opening in the front of the main chamber is wide enough, but it's not aligned with the PCIe slot or bracket in a way that will easily allow more than a mm over 2 slots. You'd have to angle the motherboard and/or mod the back of the case. You might be able to get away with a deshroud mod as well.

I will hasten to disagree with your statement!
Yes, the operating temperatures of the new memory in the 3080 FE version are within the stated specifications, but! But this does not mean that operation at temperatures close to critical will have a positive effect on the resource of components.
Safe operation at the stated temp is exactly what a manufacturer specification means. And this isn't Nvidia and their 1 year warranty saying it's safe. It's the VRAM OEM, Micron, saying this to all of their customers, who may offer a variety of warranties. Also, RAM isn't very temperature sensitive to begin with, hence the 110c thermal limit.

· Registered
16 Posts
Safe operation at the stated temp is exactly what a manufacturer specification means. And this isn't Nvidia and their 1 year warranty saying it's safe. It's the VRAM OEM, Micron, saying this to all of their customers, who may offer a variety of warranties. Also, RAM isn't very temperature sensitive to begin with, hence the 110c thermal limit.
Of course, all these specifications look good on paper, but the seller of the video card will bear the warranty to the end user. Later, the vendor will deal with the video card manufacturer. In turn, the video card manufacturer will dispute with the memory manufacturer. Another risk factor is the poor performance of the seller's warranty obligations to the end consumer. Yes, this often happens in Russia. As the reason for the denial of the guarantee, they can refer to the seasonal migration of beavers and then you will not prove anything to anyone :) To minimize the risks, I would prefer a video card with a more developed air cooling system.

2121 - 2140 of 2181 Posts