Overclock.net banner

3741 - 3760 of 8299 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Well damn, had 1v 1702 undervolt for a couple of days now running 3dmark and superposition without an issue.

Decide to have 10 minutes of CS:GO and I crash to desktop back and default settings lol

PC's do baffle me sometimes...

EDIT: I'm assuming this means a need a couple more mv?

·
Registered
854 Posts
or less clock.

I had the same issue wednesday. Instant firestrike lock ups when it never failed a day before. Difference being I spent all wednesday playing Wolfenstein before trying firestrike

·
Old C-130 Guy
4,995 Posts
I have been thinking about finally replacing my old relieable 290X that has served me well for a long time.. I have read a lot of reviews on many cards from both camps and its hard to choose what path to take.

I'm not a fan of the green team, but have been looking at there offerings as well as AMDs. At the moment I'm playing BF1, BF4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, and would like to play Destiny 2 but not sure my current card would push it very well.

Is it worth replacing my aging 290X with a Vega 56?

For those that have both AMD and NVidia how well does it stack up to the 1070/1080 cards?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyshagg View Post

or less clock.

I had the same issue wednesday. Instant firestrike lock ups when it never failed a day before. Difference being I spent all wednesday playing Wolfenstein before trying wolfy.
I updated for the new driver couple hours ago too, so I guess it could be that.

I'll add 20mv and see how I get on. Should give slightly higher clocks too

·
PC Enthousiast
465 Posts
I got mine running on 1630MHz with 1v +50% Power target. It's stable af and max clock it reaches is 1580MHz, when it's needed.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoz View Post

I got mine running on 1630MHz with 1v +50% Power target. It's stable af and max clock it reaches is 1580MHz, when it's needed.
Yeah, I was actually somewhat surprised 1702Mhz @ 1v worked at all - gets me 1530Mhz in benchmarks.

I'll keep 1702 and try 1020mv.

If that fails I'll try 1v again and lower p7.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by By-Tor View Post

I have been thinking about finally replacing my old relieable 290X that has served me well for a long time.. I have read a lot of reviews on many cards from both camps and its hard to choose what path to take.

I'm not a fan of the green team, but have been looking at there offerings as well as AMDs. At the moment I'm playing BF1, BF4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, and would like to play Destiny 2 but not sure my current card would push it very well.

Is it worth replacing my aging 290X with a Vega 56?

For those that have both AMD and NVidia how well does it stack up to the 1070/1080 cards?

Thank you
well its just a bit of a coincidence that half the games you mentioned favor vega, particularly destiny.

I just came from the 290x myself. But I must confess I only jumped ship to the reference Vega64 because my pc is in another room and the noise doesn't cross walls.

Performance wise, its close to what my crossfire 290x's used to do.

I would wait for AIB cards. A 1080 is no match for a cool and power unconstrained vega if you don't mind twice the electrical bill.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just a particular curiosity.

I have tried to Overclock my VEGA FE LC.

It seems that the Highest so far i was able to make was around 1685Mhz, 1.2V on the Core + 50% PLimit.

Anything higher than that, it crashes despite running at 45C Highest Temps.

Could it be because it needs more Power? Like 100%-142% Power Limit? Or just because the VEGA RX is capable of going higher?

Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thank you everyone for the help. I was able to get my clocks rectified. Turns out with was my fan speed and setting P6 to minimum really helped. Thanks Trixx
smile.gif
. [email protected] and [email protected] [email protected], [email protected] Hitting 1544mhz while gaming with temps around 72c-75c at 2850rpms fan (I like piece and quiet, well not really quiet but good enough).

One thing, I'm not going to flash my card to V64 because I'm using a 2560x1080 freesync monitor. Don't need the power unless I plan on benching. My Ryzen 5 1600 isn't even OC'ed. No time to tinker right now, Work is always keeping me busy.

·
Old C-130 Guy
4,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyshagg View Post

well its just a bit of a coincidence that half the games you mentioned favor vega, particularly destiny.

I just came from the 290x myself. But I must confess I only jumped ship to the reference Vega64 because my pc is in another room and the noise doesn't cross walls.

Performance wise, its close to what my crossfire 290x's used to do.

I would wait for AIB cards. A 1080 is no match for a cool and power unconstrained vega if you don't mind twice the electrical bill.
Not worried about noise as I'll be mounting a EK block on it and adding it to my custom loop. I overclock and don't care about power draw as long as my PSU can feed it.

Thank you

·
PC Enthousiast
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecChum View Post

Yeah, I was actually somewhat surprised 1702Mhz @ 1v worked at all - gets me 1530Mhz in benchmarks.

I'll keep 1702 and try 1020mv.

If that fails I'll try 1v again and lower p7.
Yeah, 1v works great and temps are amazing, my 64 never goes over 36°C. So I'm happy as before with the stock cooler temps were at a hot 85°C.

I tried to run 1750 with 1100mV and +50% Power target and it ran great in-game but benchmarks made it go funky.

·
Mmmm donuts.....
637 Posts
I've noticed that while playing siege if i run TAA the clocks will ramp all the way up to around 1630mhz and stay around 1600 and gpu usage will hover around 80-90% but when running FXAA or MSAA the clocks will be around 1550-1580mhz and gpu usage will pin itself at 99%. Anyone else notice that?

·
PC Enthousiast
465 Posts
It's not like CSGO is a very demanding game.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoz View Post

It's not like CSGO is a very demanding game.
That's what confused me, I put RTSS on so I could see the clocks and it's like 40, 50 60%, nothing high at all.

I have just installed the new driver tho, so I can't rule that out yet.

Anyway, 1000mv failed, 1020mv didn't, so that's where we are for now.

·
PC Enthousiast
465 Posts
Quote:

That's what confused me, I put RTSS on so I could see the clocks and it's like 40, 50 60%, nothing high at all.

Yeah, exactly. It probably never got up to max clocks. It's the same when I use my FreeSync, it only stays around 70-80% and sometimes it still reaches 1580MHz on 75Hz.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Quote:

That crash was likely the transition from the ACG active power states (P5/6/7) to the lower power states (experienced it a few times initially before i started locking to P7). Lock in Wattman/OverdriveNTool or using ClockBlocker as all it does at the moment is cause annoyance.

As an aside I use iRacing a lot and until I locked it to P7 the game barely caused enough load to push it past P2 state. Most of the time it was in idle state running around 200MHz. Problem was it was causing stutters and wasn't giving up enough performance. Locked to P7 performance is solid, also only uses about ~80W for the core (so about ~120W full card).

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrixX View Post

That crash was likely the transition from the ACG active power states (P5/6/7) to the lower power states (experienced it a few times initially before i started locking to P7). Lock in Wattman/OverdriveNTool or using ClockBlocker as all it does at the moment is cause annoyance.

As an aside I use iRacing a lot and until I locked it to P7 the game barely caused enough load to push it past P2 state. Most of the time it was in idle state running around 200MHz. Problem was it was causing stutters and wasn't giving up enough performance. Locked to P7 performance is solid, also only uses about ~80W for the core (so about ~120W full card).
Oddly enough, I was just thinking it might have been some lower state issue.

So just set p7 as min/max?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Quote:

Oddly enough, I was just thinking it might have been some lower state issue.

So just set p7 as min/max?
Yeah that works, though I use ClockBlocker so I can have default downclocking for normal usage and automatic P7 locking for 3D programs/games

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrixX View Post

Yeah that works, though I use ClockBlocker so I can have default downclocking for normal usage and automatic P7 locking for 3D programs/games
OK, cool.

Could just set a Wattman profile for the low demanding games instead?

3741 - 3760 of 8299 Posts