Overclock.net banner

4621 - 4640 of 8244 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts

So i was getting up yo 59 gpu 7-8 degrees more hbm and about 20 degrees abouve gpu for hotspot .. when i tested i had 12 mm fan blowing on doubles in back for all testing and today it is 79 c other day was 72 running firestrike testing so not equal apples to apples but other than 7 degress everything else is same..

so I used t6 to take backplate screws..2 than take all screws off back razor that void if removed sh..t than take two screws off airflow mounting bracket like my pic..3 than take apart wires carefully I used artic cleaner but rubbing alcohol works fine be careful between hbm I took sewing needle to clean between with northern toilet paper ..I had ek thermal pads from many blocks I would have preferred some tg 8 or better..i used tg tim but will say have had great luck with gelid extreme aswell .. I put pads every where even where there was none .5 ek when I applied tim I usally would not use so much but I filled between hbm space and mushed in like puttying than credit card method..and back together .. lastly I used ek 1mm on everything I could in back before putting back plate on made good contact..than some firestrike and again today 79 c upstairs and max after 4 runs is 49 gpu 51 hbm 71 hotspot .. so for me made big difference but not all will be same good luck

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grummpy View Post

Proof hot spot is pure BS.
Instant spike to 80+ c and a instant drop to 40 c = nonsense resistance reading.

I completely ignore it now.
I wouldn't say it is BS, but its not really that important of a value. If it is least below the max hotspot temp in the bios, then its all good. That hotspot temp can also be reduced on the LC card by adding a power fan to the radiator in pull, or just swapping out the fan already on it with a strong fan. Note by strong fan i mean one that emphasizes on cooling stuff rather than remaining silent. Silent fans are worthless to me. The temperature of the liquid going back into the card has an effect on not only GPU/HBM temperature but hotspot temp as well.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naeem View Post

anyone else here getting driver crash every single game even on stock settings ? seems to be the issue all drivers from past month or so i tried clean install as well as ddu also tried removing msi after burner did not help either it just crahses randomly into game some time after 10 min some time after 20 min

i have vega lc
I've been KILLLING MYSELF trying to figure out what's been going on with my game freezes that you can alt/tab out of and random crashes. It was 100% due to enhanced sync! This was happening only in some games but it was killer. VSync on or off and no issues whatsoever, no need to lock states or anything.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Im looking forward in seeing my vega get faster and faster s
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbz127 View Post

Hi Grumpy,

How did you go about mounting this cooler?

Cheers
I ordered 4x 2 mm pins from amazon and 8 lock nut bolts.
i used the bracket of the back to hold the cooler in place because of restricted space due to the vrm locations.
Using that spring bracket gave me perfect pressure when fitting just bolt down until they are level.
a tube of thermal grizzly paste.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A9VUFGS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B3RICZE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MJSO2Y6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KBNWKSQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/id-cooling-frostflow-240-all-in-one-cpu-water-cooler-240mm-hs-008-id.html

Get a file so you can file around whats obstructing it from fitting.
Once its dry you can then remove the support clip i added.
allso you have to drill through one of the coolers but you dont really need to add those.

The cooler fits centre with about 1 mm clearance away from the vrm.
its perfect for this job.

I will take some photos tomorrow for you.
if i had the choice again i would just buy the vega liquid now its only 600 now.
i only saved myself 40 pounds .

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey man really nice job with moding your card!! ..
What is your gaming temp hbm and hotspot after reseating??Thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanmarz View Post

I've been KILLLING MYSELF trying to figure out what's been going on with my game freezes that you can alt/tab out of and random crashes. It was 100% due to enhanced sync! This was happening only in some games but it was killer. VSync on or off and no issues whatsoever, no need to lock states or anything.
I mentioned this a while ago
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanmarz View Post

hey it's a long thread
Yeah, sorry.

I should have put "
tongue.gif
" on the end of that, I wasn't having a go.

But yeah, I noticed last week ES was causing issues with a few games of mine.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecChum View Post

Yeah, sorry.

I should have put "
tongue.gif
" on the end of that, I wasn't having a go.

But yeah, I noticed last week ES was causing issues with a few games of mine.
No worries mate I saw this all over Reddit and elsewhere so I guess it's been an ongoing problem for the last 6 months or so. I'm just relieved that's all it was - I was about to RMA.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
The prices for Vega are really sad if you can even get one any more
frown.gif

LTT had a video that claimed the gigabyte 56 was going to have a MIR that took it to around $380 adder rebate. I never found one at that price. Across the board board all the cards shot through the roof as soon as availability dried up.

I'm glad I got my V64 when I did, but it's frustrating that no new buyers can enter the space.

·
Registered
72 Posts
hot spot news!!!
repasted and.... run 10 minutes stress test firestike ultra!! rx56 flashed to rx64 bios default volts1.2v power +50%

before

after repaste

some loss on hmb some gain on hotspot! I leave it here....should i flash my rx 56 to liquid bios?
i see more people with water stay on air 64 bios around 1.125volts and 1600 mhz clocks:)

also i see that hot spot is very sensitive to power limit from 0 to 50% +20c

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMOLII View Post

(...)
some loss on hmb some gain on hotspot! I leave it here....should i flash my rx 56 to liquid bios?
i see more people with water stay on air 64 bios around 1.125volts and 1600 mhz clocks:)

also i see that hot spot is very sensitive to power limit from 0 to 50% +20c
Depends on whether you can get your card cool and stable with liquid bios. Some cards cannot do the stock clocks of the liquid bios, but it allows for more than 1.2V vcore. If your temps and power supply allow pushing more than 1.2V (power usage explodes past that voltage too), go for the liquid bios. If your card isn't stable with it and you want to keep power usage on a somewhat reasonable level, go for the air bios.

On my card (V56 on EKWB) at least, using the liquid bios and more than 1.2V only grants diminishing returns. I can get 1680Mhz stable on 1.15V, 1720 already needs 1.2V and 1750Mhz needs 1.25+V with GPU only power usage exceeding 350W (that is more than 420W for the whole card).

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have an evga supernova 1300 watt!
so the card is gonna hit its limits
biggrin.gif

i want see if it can hit 1700 range! know runs at 1620! if not back to air bios...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I ignore hot spot temps its just a digital resistance reading from a sensor.
If it was important AMD would of put it within their wattman temp graph and they didn't.
Here are my temps and watt usage, latency and frame rate
Default clock speeds but memory clocked to 1100 default volt.
Core volt -100mv

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
So I seem to be having a very odd issue when coming back from Hibernation. If I let my system wake and sit at login screen or even log in and go into windows, it'll be about maybe 1 minute or so and the screens will go dark, system will be unresponsive and the gpu fan will be at 100%. Although, when I restart or shutdown and boot up, I have zero problems. Seems to only be upon wake from hibernation.

I check the logs and bluescreenview and there are no BSOD's logged at all.
Anyone else having an issue like this? Seems to have happened since last AMD driver install.

4621 - 4640 of 8244 Posts