Overclock.net banner

How many years have you owned your X58 - Tylersburg platofrm?

• More than 1 year

Votes: 77 11.7%
  • More than 2 years

Votes: 34 5.2%
  • More than 3 years

Votes: 45 6.8%
  • More than 4 years

Votes: 61 9.2%
  • More than 5 years

Votes: 119 18.0%
  • More than 6 years

Votes: 294 44.5%
  • More than 8 years

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • More than 10 years

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • More than 11 years

Votes: 16 2.4%
16001 - 16020 of 16051 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
1. You should start reading some guides. I am pretty sure you have not since you left so many options at auto setting.
Thats why I asked there sir. I confused about my bios and I didn't want to make anything wrong. You're right I entered x58 socket a few weeks ago. Before that I was using 1156 socket and there were not detailed settings in that mobos bios. You should have same processor as I remember. Can't you help me sir?

·
Registered
28 Posts
2. Using only multiplier OC is not giving you the max possible oc your cpu is capable of. Test at least if your cpu is able to do 200 bclk.
I tried to OC with BCLK too. I tried 21x200=4.2GHz. Thats okay windows works normal with that, takes 1.38v to work properly. But when I try to make 22x200 or 23x200 windows bsods. I would not able to boot with 23x200, when I made 4.40GHz with that way processor takes near 1.44v. Isn't it too much for 4.40GHz?

·
Registered
28 Posts
3. Check your chipset temps. They are pretty high for bios idling so i think you have to check the airflow of your case and maybe repaste at least the IOH. High IOH temps will cause trouble / instability.
You are right 1 more time. I have bad airflow case. That bridge temperatures stays near 67-68 degree on load. I will bring fans to plug on bridges later. Are they too much?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't go above 1.45v with good cooling, 1.35v less good cooling. I strongly suggest staying at 4 GHz with lower voltage.
Well I have rtx 2070 super if I do that I will bottleneck too much. In 4.27GHz I already have bottleneck thats why I want to go upper frequencies if its possible. Can't anyone help me about my situation?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well I have rtx 2070 super if I do that I will bottleneck too much. In 4.27GHz I already have bottleneck thats why I want to go upper frequencies if its possible. Can't anyone help me about my situation?

I have tested plenty of different settings with my old x58 platform. Jump from 4 GHz to 4.2 GHz wont give all that much performance. If you are really concerned about bottlenecks you need to tweak your RAM, Uncore and then push core to 4.4 - 4.6 GHz. Are you ready to spend hours upon hours testing settings and then stress testing your machine just to get 5 - 10 fps in games?

Like Kana-Maru said before, 3.8 GHz is enough. I personally bump that to 4 GHz if voltage is still not too high. From what I seen single core performance gains are not that significant on x58. Unless you are willing to push it to unsafe voltages and tweak everything.

If you want fast overclock that works and is somewhat power efficient - 4 GHz.

If you want to spend a lot of time learning about x58 and then doing a lot of testing to go higher it's time to read some guides.

·
Mentally Insane User
591 Posts
Not really. Its working 4.2GHz with 1.39v. I guess I should stay there. I increased my rams to 2133mhz. Anyways thanks for everything friend.
RAM must be your problem for BSOD. For 4.6GHz I had to loosing my RAM timings even though I was only running 1600MHz RAM. At 4.2GHz(my daily) @ 200x21 I had 1600MHz RAM with 7-8-7-20 tRFC 50 1T Vcore: 1.3V QPI/Vtt: 1.235V

For 4.6GHz I had 200x23 9-9-9-24 tFRC 74 1T with all power saves off except C1E Level 2 LLC Vcore: 1.4V, QPI/Vtt: 1.335v.

Just to add I would only run 4.6 and higher for bench marks they would not be stable enough to run as a daily unless you ran higher volts and really good cooling.

·
2,485 Posts
I use this BSOD list to narrow down instability if I'm not sure what is causing it. It's right most of the time.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had an old system laying around with an i7-920 that I purchased in 2009. I got bored and bought a w3680 on ebay for $35. So far I am able to run OCCT large extreme for an hour at 4.52 ghz. 1.375v set in BIOS and 1.328v get under load. I have been out of the x58 game for awhile. Is this a decent overclock at this voltage?

Intel Xeon W3680 @ 4520.64 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR

·
Registered
28 Posts
RAM must be your problem for BSOD.
I have crucial ballistix tactical 3x8GB 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 1.50v rams. I leave them with base frequency when I try to overclock processor. I can’t boot system at 4.4GHz with 1.40v or more. I decided to stay 4.2GHz with 1.39v. One more question, I set my rams to 2133mhz, system works normally but when I start to play games, after a few minutes games closes immediately with error code 1000. I did benchmark, memtest to both of them and didn’t get any error. What can I do to use my rams at 2133mhz stable, do you have any idea?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had an old system laying around with an i7-920 that I purchased in 2009. I got bored and bought a w3680 on ebay for $35. So far I am able to run OCCT large extreme for an hour at 4.52 ghz. 1.375v set in BIOS and 1.328v get under load. I have been out of the x58 game for awhile. Is this a decent overclock at this voltage?

Intel Xeon W3680 @ 4520.64 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR
I'd say it's probably not 100% stable unless you have a silicon winner.

Initially my X5675 worked with similar numbers but I chased instability for almost a year after doing the same with a X5660. It could go weeks or months without a crash depending on the different games or workloads I was doing with it. I kept slowly creeping the voltage up and soon as I hit 1.42v the random shutdowns finally stopped. I run 1.425v level 2 LLC on my X5675 at 180x25(4.5ghz all core) and it's been incredibly stable for the last two years with heavy use.

If you're fighting temps already, you're going to need a better cooler. As far as voltages, westmere is fairly insensitive to vcore. You're pretty much going to be overheating by the time you start getting to the more dangerous voltages or in the case of some of the lower end boards might be stretching the VRM's ability or just the limit of the silicon itself with of the shelf coolers.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Currently have x5670 with asus p6x58d premium, anyone know if server memories would work? looking to try these that my buddy is willing to send but if if it doesnt I'd rather him keep it

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'd say it's probably not 100% stable unless you have a silicon winner.

Initially my X5675 worked with similar numbers but I chased instability for almost a year after doing the same with a X5660. It could go weeks or months without a crash depending on the different games or workloads I was doing with it. I kept slowly creeping the voltage up and soon as I hit 1.42v the random shutdowns finally stopped. I run 1.425v level 2 LLC on my X5675 at 180x25(4.5ghz all core) and it's been incredibly stable for the last two years with heavy use.

If you're fighting temps already, you're going to need a better cooler. As far as voltages, westmere is fairly insensitive to vcore. You're pretty much going to be overheating by the time you start getting to the more dangerous voltages or in the case of some of the lower end boards might be stretching the VRM's ability or just the limit of the silicon itself with of the shelf coolers.
So you are kind of correct. Even though I could pass OCCT Large Extreme at 1.375v and 4.52 ghz, I could not pass 30 minutes of CB23. OCCT does not consume a lot of power and temps are in the 60s. I had to bump voltage to 1.40v and it droops to about 1.36 under CB load. Now I'm 30 min. CB23 stable. Never had an idle crash at any voltage. Temps are non-issue. I'm running an NH-D15s in dual fan configuration and after 30 minutes of cinebench I'm in the mid to high 70s on my cores. This CPU runs a ton cooler than my i7 920 and consumes less wattage. I think I have a pretty good chip. Just for fun I pushed it pretty hard and this is my CB15 personal best: michael.shrallow`s Cinebench - R15 with BenchMate score: 1105 cb with a Xeon W3680

16001 - 16020 of 16051 Posts