Overclock.net banner

How many years have you owned your X58 - Tylersburg platofrm?

• More than 1 year

Votes: 77 11.7%
  • More than 2 years

Votes: 34 5.2%
  • More than 3 years

Votes: 45 6.8%
  • More than 4 years

Votes: 61 9.2%
  • More than 5 years

Votes: 119 18.0%
  • More than 6 years

Votes: 294 44.5%
  • More than 8 years

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • More than 10 years

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • More than 11 years

Votes: 16 2.4%
16021 - 16040 of 16051 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
set 1.65v to RAM & low Uncore Freq
Looks something wrong in my mobo. A few days ago I doubled uncore freq cuz I was knowing it should be double of ram mhz.. It was near 4100. Can it be damaged mobo? When I set my ram mhz above 1600mhz, it says overclocking failed or bsods while opening windows. I tried with different rams there should nothing wrong with rams. Result was same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi! this is the setup:

Should i buy Corsair Dominator 2000 mhz 9-10-9-27 @1.65v 3x4G or buying a W3680 better? (fun fact W3680 at half price)

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I set everything to default about CPU, memory freq doesn't go above 1600mhz. Also I found that uncore freq doesn't go above 3200. And when I try to tweak ram freq like 1866mhz my pc don't boots. Can it be damaged cpu?
Does anyone know or guess what happened to my system? I looked to motherboard, there are no burned or damaged surface. This started to happen after I set nb frequency around 4000 by mistake. I was knowing it should be double of ram speed :(

·
Registered
X570 AORUS ULTRA | 5950X | F43600C-32Gb | 2070 Super | Intel 900P | 970 EVO+1TB | 3 x 2GbHD | HX1200
153 Posts
Does anyone know or guess what happened to my system? I looked to motherboard, there are no burned or damaged surface. This started to happen after I set nb frequency around 4000 by mistake. I was knowing it should be double of ram speed :(
Find the Clear CMOS on your motherboard and reset it. Apparently you have an X58 Rampage 111 Extreme motherboard?
I think this is how you clear the CMOS to reset the BIOS to factory defaults. Will probably get you out of trouble: Jumper; Clear Rtc Ram - Asus RAMPAGE III EXTREME User Manual [Page 59] | ManualsLib
Put the jumper in the DISABLE position for 10 seconds or so then put it back to the ENABLE position. Make sure the power is off and the PC is unplugged from the wall. Perhaps someone who owns/ed one of these can confirm?

BTW, 4000 is probably not possible. Try 3200, 3600 or at most 3800 until you get familiar with overclocking X58. Read this whole forum from the start to the finish. It will be faster that way.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Find the Clear CMOS on your motherboard and reset it. Apparently you have an X58 Rampage 111 Extreme motherboard?
I think this is how you clear the CMOS to reset the BIOS to factory defaults. Will probably get you out of trouble: Jumper; Clear Rtc Ram - Asus RAMPAGE III EXTREME User Manual [Page 59] | ManualsLib
Put the jumper in the DISABLE position for 10 seconds or so then put it back to the ENABLE position. Make sure the power is off and the PC is unplugged from the wall. Perhaps someone who owns/ed one of these can confirm?

BTW, 4000 is probably not possible. Try 3200, 3600 or at most 3800 until you get familiar with overclocking X58. Read this whole forum from the start to the finish. It will be faster that way.....
Yes, I have Rampage lll Extreme. I tried it more than 10 times with your said steps. In every time it resetted bios and my settings, but it still bsods when I try to tweak ram frequencies. What should I do next?

·
Registered
X570 AORUS ULTRA | 5950X | F43600C-32Gb | 2070 Super | Intel 900P | 970 EVO+1TB | 3 x 2GbHD | HX1200
153 Posts
Yes, I have Rampage lll Extreme. I tried it more than 10 times with your said steps. In every time it resetted bios and my settings, but it still bsods when I try to tweak ram frequencies. What should I do next?
My advise was for a specific problem: how to reset the CMOS so that the motherboard will now boot. The information on how to overclock X58 running a Westmere CPU is vast and different for every motherboard and even each CPU. There are general guides on X58 and Westmere overclocking available that instruct on each step required, difficulties and pitfalls. You really need to carefully read and follow these guides. You will then gain enough knowledge to get you most of the way and be able to use these forums to get advise of specific problems and hurdles. Broad questions on "how do I overclock ram" wil most probably not be aswered as the question is too simple making the answered similar to an entire ram overclocking guide.
There could be many many reasons for your current difficulty. Get reading those guides.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My advise was for a specific problem: how to reset the CMOS so that the motherboard will now boot. The information on how to overclock X58 running a Westmere CPU is vast and different for every motherboard and even each CPU. There are general guides on X58 and Westmere overclocking available that instruct on each step required, difficulties and pitfalls. You really need to carefully read and follow these guides. You will then gain enough knowledge to get you most of the way and be able to use these forums to get advise of specific problems and hurdles. Broad questions on "how do I overclock ram" wil most probably not be aswered as the question is too simple making the answered similar to an entire ram overclocking guide.
There could be many many reasons for your current difficulty. Get reading those guides.
Friend i guess you didn’t understand me.By mistake I did nb frequency around 4000. After that something happened my system. I can’t use my rams above 1600mhz. I look on mobo surface but I didn’t find any damaged components on motherboard. When I try to tweak them windows not loads. Therefore I asked what might happened to my system.

·
2,485 Posts
Worst case the uncore on the CPU may have been damaged, but it shouldn't have been damaged from high frequency. Maybe the motherboard set the VTT (QPI DRAM Core Voltage) too high if it was on auto, but even then it shouldn't have caused noticeable damage that quickly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Worst case the uncore on the CPU may have been damaged, but it shouldn't have been damaged from high frequency. Maybe the motherboard set the VTT (QPI DRAM Core Voltage) too high if it was on auto, but even then it shouldn't have caused noticeable damage that quickly.
Looks I need to get another cpu to test that. I was setting VTT manually. Can windows versions cause this bsod? I m using latest windows 10.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Intel Xeon X5675 @ 4380.75 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR Is this is vcore safe to use 7/24? (i set vcore 1.40625 with LLC Enabled in bios) Max core temp is around 75°C at Prime95 (half hour)

Also idk why Cpu-z vcore seems 1.44~ while HWiNFO64 seems 1.40?

·
do not touch my butt
268 Posts
What MB??
your chip has 28 lanes. 16 are going to the GPU. Unless the 960 EVOs are physically on the PCIE (NVME drives can be on the PCH) you have 12 remaining... well you can do the arithmetic. There is not a great difference for an NVME on the PCH vs the PCIE if it is a data/storage drive. The OS and game loading benefits somewhat. The bus frequency is less of a bottle neck than the "fetch" time for a specific drive.
You just have to check the board's bios and set the GPU to x8 if you want to add another NVME on the CPU. Else, just put it on the PCH bus. As I said, if it is not the OS or game-loader drive you will not sense or feel any difference with the drives (sure you can measure some effect, not not much real-world impact), and x8 on the GPU has only a marginal FPS impact - this has been published by many reviewers.
Should have a significant IPC increase, but it will still likely be a wash in heavily threaded applications.

Each core may have a 2MiB sliceof L3 attached to it, but any process, even if it's only single threaded, can potentially utilize the entire L3, so there is less effective cache.
Intel Xeon X5675 @ 4380.75 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR Is this is vcore safe to use 7/24? (i set vcore 1.40625 with LLC Enabled in bios) Max core temp is around 75°C at Prime95 (half hour)

Also idk why Cpu-z vcore seems 1.44~ while HWiNFO64 seems 1.40?
yes

·
Guru
1,227 Posts
I think there's definitely a bottleneck with GTA 5 Online on X58. Couldn't get more than 45-70FPS regardless of the settings with RX580, well it's the same with GTX 1060 so not a Radeon or drivers related thing.

That being said though, other games are fine and this platform is still rocking strong. Will give it one more year or so. :)

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,037 · (Edited)
That being said though, other games are fine and this platform is still rocking strong. Will give it one more year or so. :)
Agreed. I'm not sure if I'll make it to another year with the X58 being my main platform of choice. I have already began to buy parts for my next build (stay tuned - AMD or Intel...hmmm....), however I will still be running my X58 system along with my new build. I will probably phase out my X58 platform over the next year or two and completely retire it. Box everything back up.

No complaints though, Intel knocked it out of the park with X58 platform an it has been running strong for over a decade and counting. I think I've tapped all of the power out of this beast and there's still a little left in the tank, but you can only use so many lanes on the PCIe slots. Currently I'm still running my X58 + RTX 3080 Liquid Cooled. The 4K performance is around less than 1% difference compared to modern machines so the X58 is still doing its thing.

I plan to use the X58 for various purposes including streaming, but I will eventually replace it with a smaller more powerful PC (ITX - Micro ATX???). I'm coming up with a ultimate solution that'll take sometime to figure out and setup. Until then I'll be running my X58 alongside my next PC build.

·
Mentally Insane User
591 Posts
When thing I found out a couple of years ago is these x58 do really bad at Timespy compared to modern CPU's.

Here is a score I got last night and wasn't pushing the GPU to the max. I scored 19 959 in Time Spy

Here is a run I done with my X5660 maxed out at close to 4.8GHz. 3dmark.com

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,039 ·
In Time Spy I compared my 4.6Ghz OC + RTX 3080 (stock) to modern machines (running various RTX 3080s) from several well known websites and and the Graphics Score was 8% slower.
The Overall Score was 24% slower due to the obvious CPU bottlenecking and being limited to only 6 Cores+HT.
The Graphics Score was the most important for me and shows that the X58 can still keep up with the latest and greatest flagship from Nvidia in 2021.

Also your X5660 3DMark link is hidden. You might need to go and change a few settings to make it public.

·
Mentally Insane User
591 Posts
X5660

Is it still hidden? I have no idea why it is. Maybe because it is a run I done a few years ago.

16021 - 16040 of 16051 Posts