Overclock.net banner

How many years have you owned your X58 - Tylersburg platofrm?

• More than 1 year

Votes: 77 11.7%
  • More than 2 years

Votes: 34 5.2%
  • More than 3 years

Votes: 45 6.8%
  • More than 4 years

Votes: 61 9.2%
  • More than 5 years

Votes: 119 18.0%
  • More than 6 years

Votes: 294 44.5%
  • More than 8 years

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • More than 10 years

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • More than 11 years

Votes: 16 2.4%
16041 - 16051 of 16051 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,041 ·
Yeah it's still hidden. I've done up to date results. Your results might be outdated since there has been plenty of updates on both Windows and 3DMark.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,043 ·
Well of course the X58 will fall behind in the CPU score. It's a 6C\12T 32nm against a modern 8C/16T 7nm. There's roughly a 10 years difference in tech. At higher resolutions for gaming depending on the game there's minor differences. The newer platforms is obviously the better choice at this point. I'm still pretty excited to build a new PC this year from AMD or Intel. I've already purchased somethings in anticipation. I'm hoping I'm able to get my hands on the actual MB\CPU\RAM at a decent price. These shortages have been pretty bad.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is there any X58 board that has properly working S3 Sleep? It doesn't work on any of my 3 X58 motherboards and this is very annoying provided S3 sleep is very useful functionality to save power and quickly resume working.

Intel DX58S0 - VCore is reset after resuming from S3 sleep and hence the system just reboots or bluescreens.
MSI Big Bang X-Power - Never resumes from S3 sleep if BCLK is over 160. I suspect the same vcore issue.
Asus P6X58D-E - Memory timings (CAS latency) is reset which causes bluescreens if the ram is clocked higher. Usually resets to CAS 8.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Well of course the X58 will fall behind in the CPU score. It's a 6C\12T 32nm against a modern 8C/16T 7nm. There's roughly a 10 years difference in tech. At higher resolutions for gaming depending on the game there's minor differences. The newer platforms is obviously the better choice at this point. I'm still pretty excited to build a new PC this year from AMD or Intel. I've already purchased somethings in anticipation. I'm hoping I'm able to get my hands on the actual MB\CPU\RAM at a decent price. These shortages have been pretty bad.
2066 could be a nice jump for those on a budget still on older enthusiast platforms and don't only game, especially seeing how many applications are starting to use AVX instructions more heavily. Unfortunately 2066 is basically EOL now, but I guess all current sockets are going to replaced soon as well (AM4, LGA1200).

I snagged a 7920x for $160 (ebay) and a x299 Pro for $150 (amazon renewed), grabbed 64gb of 3200mhz ram for $200. Will be replacing my old x79 workstation.

At 4.5ghz all core 4.9ghz single core I'm getting getting about 80-85% of the performance of a 5900x (~3000/210 CB15).

Downsides include:
  • Much more power draw especially overclocked
  • No PCIE gen 4
  • Requires some watching used parts to get good deals (I had been keeping an eye out for a few weeks)
  • All the risks included in buying used parts
  • More time to test everything
Upsides include:
  • Higher memory bandwidth
  • More PCIE lanes
  • The potential cost savings
  • Potentially very good performance per dollar

·
Guru
1,227 Posts
Ok this is super weird, but I have a feeling ever since I upgraded to win11 recently games seem to stutter less. :unsure:

·
2,485 Posts
Give it a a few years. Microsoft will find a way to make it stutter again.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,049 ·
2066 could be a nice jump for those on a budget still on older enthusiast platforms and don't only game, especially seeing how many applications are starting to use AVX instructions more heavily. Unfortunately 2066 is basically EOL now, but I guess all current sockets are going to replaced soon as well (AM4, LGA1200).
I was actually going to build a LGA2066 PC with some affordable i9's. It would had been a huge upgrade to my X58, but I've decided to wait. I saw some X299 MBs at a good price, but decided to pass on it so I'm still rocking the X58 for now. This is pretty much the last year I'm going to be running my X58 as my main platform though. I almost built a 12Core\24Thread AMD Threadripper last year since the prices were good for the performance.....but I still passed.

AMD and Intel has a lot of great tech available now and coming, but I'm still going to bring X58 content on my YouTube and website though. Over the next year or so I believe I'm going to eventually box the beast up, but we will see since I have been saying that since 2016 lol. It's going to be hard running two Mid-Towers with all those wires, but I have some plans.

Ok this is super weird, but I have a feeling ever since I upgraded to win11 recently games seem to stutter less.
Give it a a few years. Microsoft will find a way to make it stutter again.
LOL....yeah just give it time. I haven't tried out Windows 11 yet.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I was actually going to build a LGA2066 PC with some affordable i9's. It would had been a huge upgrade to my X58, but I've decided to wait. I saw some X299 MBs at a good price, but decided to pass on it so I'm still rocking the X58 for now. This is pretty much the last year I'm going to be running my X58 as my main platform though. I almost built a 12Core\24Thread AMD Threadripper last year since the prices were good for the performance.....but I still passed.

AMD and Intel has a lot of great tech available now and coming, but I'm still going to bring X58 content on my YouTube and website though. Over the next year or so I believe I'm going to eventually box the beast up, but we will see since I have been saying that since 2016 lol. It's going to be hard running two Mid-Towers with all those wires, but I have some plans.
Yeah, a lot of new hardware on the horizon, prices are looking to be a bit steep though...

Snagged a Gigabyte x299 UD4 Pro for $60 on amazon used, took almost a month to ship but it looks basically new and works fine.

The chips are hard to cool and almost require a delid to really overclock them very far, but still you're looking at something like 60-70% IPC uplift over Westmere and much more in AVX heavy applications.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,051 ·
I can believe it since Westmere is so dated. It served it's purpose up until around 2016 though and still runs games fine today in 2021, especially at 4K resolution were the CPU isn't the bottleneck. I agree about the prices though. MSRP has been a thing of the past for sometime now. Limited supplies, shortages, re-sellers and scalpers are tough to get past right now.

16041 - 16051 of 16051 Posts