Overclock.net banner

Offset for CPU and 2133MHz ram. Won't go over -0.040?

744 views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Kosire 
#1 ·
Hey there.

I've been utterly pissed lately about this very expensive motherboard I bought (the Rampage IV Extreme).

Here's my problem. I have tested my CPU (i7-3930K) to be ROCK stable at 1.185vcore using 38 multiplier.
So now I wanted to use offset voltage like I did on my P8Z68-V Pro I had before.

So I go in and set it to 'Offset' and use minus '-' and I set it at -0.100. Save and exit.
Nothing happens, just black screen, no posting but my pc is running and nothing happens until I reboot it and it says "overclocking failed press f1 to enter setup". I do it again and again.. same thing happens.

Now I try with -0.040 and it boots directly into Windows 7 no problem! However, the voltage is quite high (1.245) and not my desired 1.185v.

So I try again, restart and boot into bios. Change offset to -0.100 and save & exit. Nothing, same as before. No posting, black screen, but the pc is running.

I try every combination of offset value, LLC (Regular, Medium, High) and phase change from Standard to Optimized and even Auto..

So I reset my bios and tried using just offset setting it to -0.100v and I could boot!. My RAM here is default 1333MHz. Now I went in again and just changed RAM speed to 2133MHz and saved.

NOTHING! Black screen, PC running.
What's up with that? I tried both XMP profile and setting it manually.

I can run rock stable using manual voltage and 2133MHz ram.

My theory is that using CPU offset voltage somehow offsets my RAM voltage aswell and makes them not boot or something? But I have no way to see that.

My specs:
Intel Core i7-3930K
Noctua NH-D14 SE2011
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Corsair Dominator-GT 32GB DDR3 2133MHz (8x4)
MSI N580GTX Lightning
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850
Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD

See less See more
#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrr View Post

Make sure your RAM is at the correct voltage you new board may be defaulting to 1.5v. Some 2133 sets are not 1.5v and may require 1.6 or 1.65
Also you may need to tweak VTT voltage with the 2133 RAM.
The RAM are rated @ 1.5v.
I have 2 sets of these http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/dominator/dominator-gt-with-dhx-pro-connector-1-5v-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmt16gx3m4x2133c9.html

VTT Voltage? What do I need to tweak here?

#4 ·
I think I read the op wrong.

Same chip, same RAM new board?

I would make sure the RAM timings are right in the new board, defaults might be different. I don't know if the VTT would prevent you from booting so leave that as is for now.
Quote:
Here's my problem. I have tested my CPU (i7-3930K) to be ROCK stable at 1.185vcore using 38 multiplier.
You tested 1.185 at 3.8 on this board with this RAM and it was stable, or your previous board? What is the default voltage for SB-E?

#5 ·
Quote:

I think I read the op wrong.
Same chip, same RAM new board?
I would make sure the RAM timings are right in the new board, defaults might be different. I don't know if the VTT would prevent you from booting so leave that as is for now.
Quote:
You tested 1.185 at 3.8 on this board with this RAM and it was stable, or your previous board? What is the default voltage for SB-E?
The default voltage is ofc. auto and it can use up to 1.3v under load!!! on just 3.8ghz.

I havent got a new board, I changed my i7-2600K setup to this. The timings are as listed in the XMP.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosire View Post

The default voltage is ofc. auto and it can use up to 1.3v under load!!! on just 3.8ghz.
I havent got a new board, I changed my i7-2600K setup to this. The timings are as listed in the XMP.
What was the setup that you had a stable 1.185v and 38 multi with?

If you had it with the 2600K setup and now have a new board and chip you are comparing apples and oranges.

You are talking two different boards, two different chips and different sockets.

#10 ·
Quote:

What was the setup that you had a stable 1.185v and 38 multi with?
If you had it with the 2600K setup and now have a new board and chip you are comparing apples and oranges.
You are talking two different boards, two different chips and different sockets.
1.185v rock stable with 3930K. Offset is messing with me when I try to use it here..

With my 2600K I had 3.8ghz rock stable at 1.145v. I could configure offset np on that board.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosire View Post

1.185v rock stable with 3930K. Offset is messing with me when I try to use it here..
With my 2600K I had 3.8ghz rock stable at 1.145v. I could configure offset np on that board.
OK I think Im starting to understand.

With the new board, 3930K and 2133 ram you have a stable fixed voltage setting at 1.185v and want to use offset instead.

Have you tried any other offset voltages other than -0.100 and -0.040? Start at -0.040 and work your way towards -0.100. You'll need to try different LLC settings as under load they will change your Vcore quite a bit sometimes. Its a dance that has to be done between LLC settings and vcore settings. I have had rock solid load settings but BSOD when browsing the internet due to LLC settings.

#13 ·
Okay, update folks.

I claered CMOS, reset the motherboard, loaded the defaults on the latest BIOS

Changed ONLY offset for CPU to -0.125 and I hit the sweet spot. Stable as rock there.
RAM is Auto which means 1333MHz.

So I try and set the ram higher and boot..

2133MHz:
Nothing, no post just PC running.

1833MHz:

1600MHz:

1333MHz:
It boots! and the offset is working
thumb.gif

Now what the heck? Is the RAM faulty or what? They run fine under 2133MHz if you DON'T use offset voltage for the CPU but Manual.
wth.gif

I got two sets of these, and I would of course like to run them in 2133MHz and not 1333MHz.
http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/dominator/dominator-gt-with-dhx-pro-connector-1-5v-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmt16gx3m4x2133c9.html

#15 ·
Quote:

You keep giving it more negative offset and expect it to boot with overclocked RAM? Often with OC ram you need more voltage as the IMC is stressed more by the higher frequencies.
Did you try what I said above?
Just did.

Bumped the ram one notch up to 1600MHz and tried every CPU LLC setting.
It's just funny that I did not have this issue with my old setup with an i7-2600K, Asus P8Z68-V Pro and 1600MHz 1.5v Kingston ram.

Regular, 1600MHz:

Medium, 1600MHz:

High, 1600MHz:

Ultra High, 1600MHz:

Extreme, 1600MHz:

Auto, 1333MHz::
It boots! and the offset is working
thumb.gif

#17 ·
Quote:

Ok, start with 0 offset and 2133 for the RAM setting and see if it boots. Then slowly take voltage off and see where it stops booting.
Okay, first of all.. really REALLY sorry for the delay!
frown.gif

I did what you said, I couldn't go any lower than -0.055. If I tried -0.060 it simply wouldn't POST at all. Just the PC running.
On load, I had like 1.294v and I obviously don't need that massive amount of voltage to run 3.8GHz stable when 1.185v was enough!

I took some screenshots if that might help.

VLiQw.png

OYC7g.png

#18 ·
What is your load line calibration (LLC) at? Sounds like it is possibly causing your issue.

It looks like your offset is working to me. 1.2v- 0.055 = 1.145 (Bios shot shows 1.144). Under load your Vcore is spiking up which may be LLC overreacting. Try setting it at different values and see which doesn't give you such a bad spike. I don't know how ASUSs works (Whats high whats low) so youll have to search or experiment.

#19 ·
Quote:

What is your load line calibration (LLC) at? Sounds like it is possibly causing your issue.
It looks like your offset is working to me. 1.2v- 0.055 = 1.145 (Bios shot shows 1.144). Under load your Vcore is spiking up which may be LLC overreacting. Try setting it at different values and see which doesn't give you such a bad spike. I don't know how ASUSs works (Whats high whats low) so youll have to search or experiment.
Hm, I see that. By setting it to +0.005 I get 1.184-1.192 in vcore in BIOS!
But when I boot into windows it's 1.330vcore, WAY TOO MUCH. (goal is 1.185~)

No matter what LLC settings I use and current capability makes it go lower.

NTQ5q.png

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.