Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm having a pretty big problem right now. I was taking the heatsink off of my CPU to re-apply some AS5. The heatsink wasn't coming off very easily, but it did eventually come off. When it did, the CPU was stuck to the bottom. Apparently I had put on a little too much AS5. So I pulled the CPU off, careful not to hurt anything, and tried to put it back onto the mobo. I realized that it wouldn't go back on, so I took a good look at it. About 6 of the prongs on the bottom were bent! I managed to bend back 1 or 2 of them with some tweasers, but I was having a very hard time with the others. Aside from return/RMA, is there anything I can do? Is there some tool I could use or something I could do to more easily bend my prongs back into place? Also, with bent prongs, would be CPU warranty even be honored? Please help me out here guys, I don't know what to do. My only decent rig is dead right now! ARGH!

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll message thrilla if I can't get it done within the next few minutes. Thanks for the credit card tip, that helped me get most of them unbent. And thanks for the mechanical pencil tip, I have 3 new ones that I can try. I'll see what I can do, and even if I can't get it done, +rep to all of you who tried to help.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What just happened to the other posts that were here? They just disappeared...I was gonna message thrilla, but the AIM s/n isn't here anymore...

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zardokk

What just happened to the other posts that were here? They just disappeared...I was gonna message thrilla, but the AIM s/n isn't here anymore...

People that dont follow rules.

Take a 5mm pencil, take the lead out, and stick the pin into the hole of the pencil and use that to bend them back. That or a pin/needle works good. Just be gentle and move them back slowly. Use a razorblade to straighten out the row if a few are a tiny bit bent.

• Rep+
Reactions: Crash and Zardokk

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
As val said move them slowly when this happened to me i uses an ancient gellet thin blade i found lying around worked perfectly moving slowly is the key to breaking or not breaking pins most of the time, the matierial the pins are made out of does not like to flex quickly like all alloys

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woo! That was quite a scare, but I managed to get things working again. Used the credit card and mechanical pencil to bend them back into place, reset the CMOS (not sure if this was necessary, but better safe than sorry), and managed to get it to boot! Thanks a lot guys! As soon as I'm back in Windows on my comp, I'm giving +rep to all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts