Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My E5200 died today around 4PM. Don't ask how

Of course it didn't involve a 1.62Vcore...........

I want to post in the trade section to try to sell just crap in general and buy just even a $40 Celeron single core. I'm ****ed.....

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGWORM View Post
I'm looking at your sig rig, and I'm seeing what could be the worst CPU bottleneck in current history...

What happened?
LOL yeah what the hell? Amd 1.8ghz and ddr 512mb ram with an 8800gtx?

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
If I had a lga775 celery I'd trade it. I might still want your chip to add to my collection of decorative dead components. PM me when you're ready to part w/ it.

·
:)
11,146 Posts
meh, thats low!
did it die from that? I have pushed 1.7v through most of my chips without them dying, I know some have even pushed 1.8v! how long did it run like this?

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by go4life View Post
meh, thats low!
did it die from that? I have pushed 1.7v through most of my chips without them dying, I know some have even pushed 1.8v! how long did it run like this?
keep in mind the e5200 is a 45nm chip that's not supposed to have more than 1.36v for 24/7 and 1.4-1.45 for suicide runs. 1.6+ is lunacy.

·
11,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
keep in mind the e5200 is a 45nm chip that's not supposed to have more than 1.36v for 24/7 and 1.4-1.45 for suicide runs. 1.6+ is lunacy.
I know, but I pushed 1.65-1.72v for benching with my E8500, E8600, Q9550 and Q9650! They never failed because of it! or degraded for that sake!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to let you know, it involved a certain water pump dying. I also only had a 80MM rad connected(is it possible for a pump to overheat?). Right now i'm on my sisters wonderful Emachines with a couple of my parts thrown in. When I connect my hard drive sometime soon, I will upload the devastating picture of my E5200 from CPU-Z.....

And im not parting with this chip. My Sckt478 P4 has always needed a dead friend.

When I did do the CPU Burn in(just one instance not two) it hit 71C instantly. Then I stopped it and went potty and came back and my pc was off. I'd have the E5200 for about two years and before the highest I have gone was 1.5. When it was at 3.4Ghz 24/7 it was at 1.475

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by go4life View Post
I know, but I pushed 1.65-1.72v for benching with my E8500, E8600, Q9550 and Q9650! They never failed because of it! or degraded for that sake!
Wow, lucky.

Perhaps it's like it was w/ the old northwoods. They'd just suddenly and randomly die after a certain voltage. Not all silicon is created equal.

edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoofWoof View Post
Just to let you know, it involved a certain water pump dying. I also only had a 80MM rad connected(is it possible for a pump to overheat?). Right now i'm on my sisters wonderful Emachines with a couple of my parts thrown in. When I connect my hard drive sometime soon, I will upload the devastating picture of my E5200 from CPU-Z.....

And im not parting with this chip. My Sckt478 P4 has always needed a dead friend.

Speaking of SNDS....

So essentially it overheated while severely overvolted?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You could say it was on air considering it was a slow water pump with only 5/8 Connectings and an 80MM radiator. It's a pump/waterblock combo. I still don't know if the pump or if the voltage killed it. I will test the pump now.

·
11,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Wow, lucky.

Perhaps it's like it was w/ the old northwoods. They'd just suddenly and randomly die after a certain voltage. Not all silicon is created equal.
lol, actually I did it many times with all of them! So I guess most chips don't die with a ``little`` overvolt then!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the pump is working, and inspected my P45 UD3R. No damage at all. Just a dead dead dead chip. If I remember right it was idling at 46C on one core and 38C the other. CPU-Burned in for like 3 seconds and it hit 71C and 68C. Maybe heat and a high voltage killed it? I shoulda used my air cooler, damnit damnit damnit

You know, to think of it.... What if a background process was using 100% for like 10 seconds when I was gone and it fried it?....

·
Premium Member
3,574 Posts
The chip's vcore was pushed too high from the start IMO. Yours would be the first E5200 I seen that used (needed?) 1.45v+ for 3.4GHz. Did you know the cooling was failing while it was at that 1.6v+?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts