Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i was messing around and i had a magnet in my hand and put it near the monitor (like almost 5 inches away) and the image kind of turned purple

so i was like k whatever and rub the monitor with a magnet.

it made a big dark ring. so i degauss it. yay its fixed. so i do it again. but when you degauss it more than once in about 20 minutes it does nothing

so now i have a big purple/darkish ring on the monitor
and its noticable mainly on a white screen. and i'm typing a report!

EDIT: i degaussed it again and its not noticable very much...the color is a bit dull in some places though lol

omg i was urged to put it near my hard disk, and they were sitting becide it too
at least they didn't fly over and stick to the computer

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Magnets wouldnt do much to newer hard drives from what Ive heard.
And if you keep degaussing itll go away. Or if you turn it off for a day or so itll go away.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I once had a magnet that was inside a bouncy ball, and I bounced it off my TV screen. There was a massive yellow/purple/redish blotch right in the middle of the TV...and there's no way to degauss a TV screen. So I had to take the magnetic bouncy ball and move it gently accross the screen without touching it untill all the colours went back to normal..

and it did...so now I'm happy

and that's why CRT is annoying...

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
just turn your monitor off for about 10-20 min. then degaus and you should be fine...

one time when i was at my buddys house and we had his old monitor on nad we building a subwoofer box for his car, the sub itself had a 220oz magnet on the bcak and if we even got within about 5-6 feet of the monitor it would like twist the picture and turn all differne t colors... pretty cool!

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah thats what i started doing! moving the magnet over, but the magnet is those ones where it comes with metal balls and these 2 sided magnetic "sticks" and you connect them together and make stuff like 3d pyramids. REALLY entertaining

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you know when you turn off the monitor and turn it on when its JUST turned off and it comes back and its a bit shaky, maybe it just does that but it doesen't turn off

my friend suggested there might be magnets on the side of the screen, but if that was around a computer it would explode lol

·
Registered
143 Posts
The Degauss thing is a coil around the edge of your screen. Whenever you hit the degauss button, a capicator discharges through the coil to de-magnetise the shadow mask.

It takes several mins to charge back up before you can do it again. Many screens also degauss automatically when turned on. That's why you hear the "Goonk!" noise when you turn your TV or monitor on. That's the surge going through the degauss coil.

I made a degaussing "wand" by sticking a pair of magnets on a drill bit. Spin the magnets, move it near the spot on your screen and let it run a few seconds, then move away from the screen and turn the drill off.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Didn't anyone tell you not to play with magnets near the computer? And if you noticed the effect, why did you keep doing it, lol. I've noticed the same effect if I put a sub woofer next to one of my CRT monitors, the colors on the monitor will become extremely distorted; but that doesn't happen with my LCD.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
whoever it was that said magnets wont do much to harddrives was right. ive got some extrememly strong neodynium magents 1inX1inX1in cubes and i accidentally left one sittng right on top of my iriver over night. the next day when i saw it i thought id never get it to work again, but i turned it on and it worked fine, didnt do anything

1 - 16 of 16 Posts