Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i added dye into my setup via the t-line

directions on the dye are: 1/30 ounce for a gallon of coolant

so i have about 1/3 to 1/4 gallon in my system - tried to drop a couple drops of dye in, ended up putting in a couple more than 2 drops...

does tooo much dye kill the system?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
I dont think it would hurt it, im sure you could put the whole bottle in..

your just wasting dye im pretty sure, no harm done
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Worst case is the dye doesn;t stay in solution and dyes the tubing and containers to a dark color (which could be cool actually)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
only thing Ive noticed w/ my system is the more you add the more intence the uv reaction.
at the 2 drops recomended w/ the UV dye it did react, but was translucent. I put 6 drops in
and it gave a nice solid color.
noticed no temp change at all, or any negative effects on the system.
been running like this for over 2mos

as long as you are using distilled water and have some thing in the system to help prevent bacteria the ammount of dye you use shouldnt effect the system in any way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DevilDriver

only thing Ive noticed w/ my system is the more you add the more intence the uv reaction.
at the 2 drops recomended w/ the UV dye it did react, but was translucent. I put 6 drops in
and it gave a nice solid color.
noticed no temp change at all, or any negative effects on the system.
been running like this for over 2mos

as long as you are using distilled water and have some thing in the system to help prevent bacteria the ammount of dye you use shouldnt effect the system in any way.

I have heard that using an ounce of hydrogen peroxide and capping it off and runnign it for a while will make the interior bacteria free and after an hour it's essentially distilled water anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
personally I'd just use a small amount of pool chlorine. (VERY SMALL AMOUNT) it's UV reactive itself (bleach basically)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,248 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Kittani

I have heard that using an ounce of hydrogen peroxide and capping it off and runnign it for a while will make the interior bacteria free and after an hour it's essentially distilled water anyways.

That'd do it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,430 Posts
Methanol is also a very effective biocide, and actually helps to increase the thermal conductivity of the water
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Methanol is also a very effective biocide, and actually helps to increase the thermal conductivity of the water


it's also flamable... bad idea... very bad idea... anything that ends in OL can and will corrode the tubing eventually and unlike bleach it never looses it's corrosive capabilities when it sits in water. when the system is off it can separate from the water and pool... if this is in the pump when it turns on a short can ignite it... ever hear the expression don't mix alcohol and electricity?

It applies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

Just a question, will food coloring mess up my system? (I'm poor and can't afford uv dye.. lol)

it will eventually adhere to the tubing and containers and not be in the water itself.... but it won;t hurt it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
I heard bleech is HIGHLY corrosive to copper!!

Someone said it'l turn it black pretty damn quick...

I personally plan on using as much UV dye as it takes to get a nice solid good color... if it takes 2 drops cool, 5 ok, 10.. oh well, I want my **** to GLOW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Towlieee

I heard bleech is HIGHLY corrosive to copper!!

Someone said it'l turn it black pretty damn quick...

I personally plan on using as much UV dye as it takes to get a nice solid good color... if it takes 2 drops cool, 5 ok, 10.. oh well, I want my **** to GLOW

hence the tiny quantity and using the kind you get for swimming pools. (it's not actually chlorine based it's somethign else but it kilsl everything and is non-corrosive to metals and plastics.) sorry if I didn;t explain that enough but it's essentially the same thing as chlorine (smell and all) but is chemically different to avoid corrosion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
I just passed 600 posts hehe...about to hit 100th rep too it seems.... yay!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
the price of the UV dye is worth it. I purchased mine from xoxide. its more than you think it is, and I can honestly say I have as solid a color as you can get. looking at the bottle youd never even know Ive used it.

Id def say for the $$ that the dye cost you wont be sad in the end. the bottle will last for years to come.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top