Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to dissemble a few old fans and reapply some oil so they run smoothly again. What kind of oil is best for this job?

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Sometimes just a good ol wipe down can fix that. If you use oil then a light 3 in 1 oil will work fine.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I use Tri-Flow superior lubricant with teflon... I mainly keep it around for my butterfly knife, but it did wonders for some old 120x38 server fans that I salvaged

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
any mineral based oil will do the job. just ensure you don't use wd40 or alcohol cuz it'll just dry and screw up the bearings

·
Overclocker
867 Posts
sewing machine oil is about the best peel the sticker off and the center cover if its got one and just put one drop in there then put the cover and the sticker back on and your good to go

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone (+rep). I'll take a look what I can find in Wal Mart today

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I use grease like for automotive stuff. I fixed my antec 1200 fan with it works like a charm!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
For me, all I had at the time was Bicycle Chain lubricant. (One of the good brands)
One drop on the rotor and operation was smooth once again, worked great for every fan I tried it on, even worked great on my folding knife, flicks really smooth now as well.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Just earlier this evening I finally got mad at my PSUs 140mm fan being loud, the bearings were dry. I used olive oil to lube the fan and it worked great, silent bearings now. Not sure about the longevity of it when used in a fan, but it was all I had in my room at the time

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
cooking oil works as well.
but because these are veggie-based, might leave crap in the bearings after awhile.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I've only ever had to oil one fan (120mm). I used a drop of mineral oil from the capsule that came with hair clippers. A second drop of oil improved it further, and a third was even better. Four drops of oil was the same as three drops so I stopped at four.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts