Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should i set the performance to? Plz help me out here new to SLI so ya and should i have two SLI cable things or just one because my 9800GTx+ have 2 slot things for the sli bridges and i only put one SLI link thingy for both cards but it shows it can take two should i put another on there or no? heres a pic real fast

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you have two cards you only need one sli cable.

Alternate Frame Rendering (AFR) should be what the "Nvidia Recommended" is. Default, or last I checked at least.

Try out forced AFR first for some games and if the performance is "meh" you can try the other settings.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also i kinda noticed a less performance on my pc after i put the other card in i check my power to the cards im getting more than enough and nothing is wrong with it. Any suggestions?

and what should me maximum pre rending frames be on?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Famous
View Post

Also i kinda noticed a less performance on my pc after i put the other card in i check my power to the cards im getting more than enough and nothing is wrong with it. Any suggestions?

Most games scale to SLI (two cards) very well. Some can have worse performance but that is very uncommon with two card SLI.

I suppose there is the possibility that your 9800GTX+'s are getting bottlenecked by your processor speed. If you feel comfortable overclocking to say 3.2 Ghz or slightly higher? Just my thoughts on the matter.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
with two cards the need for an overclock grows signifigantly.

you can feel no performance difference with two cards over one if your CPU is a huge bottleneck.

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Generally Alternate Frame Rendering 2 is usually best but this is not the same for all games so i usually just leave it on Nvidia Recommended.

You only need one SLI bridge for 2 cards.

Not all games benefit from SLI. Some even do worse. Games that use the source engine don't tend to benefit much. On my rig CSS does considerably worse with SLI enabled. However games such as Crysis or Farcry 2 benefit quite a lot.

EDIT: If you would like to overclock the cards then download a program called Msi Afterburner or a program called EVGA Precision. Both are very similar. These programs will enable you to raise the core, shader and memory clcoks, but of course with any overclocks, do this in moderation. 10Mhz - 20Mhz at a time (stress test between). Decrease the amount you overclock by as you climb higher and instability chances will rise too.

Hope I helped. Enjoy your stay at OCN!

·
PC Evangelist
46,964 Posts
The CPU is sure to hold those cards back just so you know. Also games like Battlefield love fast CPUs.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
i agree with Crooksy if the game does not support sli it performs worse. when need for speed came out i lagged really bad then i remembered disabled sli and it ran sweet. when new drivers come out or a update for the game it sorts it out. i think sli is a waste of time really. might as well sell the one card and put money to and get a new card thats what im doing from now on

1 - 16 of 16 Posts