Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I am wondering, even though millions of people have explained this to me trillions of times, I am still confused. Ok, what do the timings for ram mean? Also do you wnt the frequency of ram to be equal to the FSB of your cpu? Also, I am confused how you find the compatability between memory, and CPU. SUPER CONFUSED on all this. Could anybody help?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ram timings are basically the amount of clock cycles needed to perform the respective operation. The lower the better, optimal ram timings are 2-2-2-5 (cas latency 2) with cheaper ram running about 3-3-3-8 (cas latency 3).

Your ram will automatically run at the speed of your fsb unless you manually change the divider (the ratio of the ram speed to your fsb), and technically even at a 1:1 ratio your ram will run twice as fast as your fsb because it is DDR ram (double data rate ram). To do basic overclocking you slowly raise your fsb (i.e from 200mhz to 205mhz). That will automatically raise your ram speed to 205mhz, but it will actually be running double that, so 410mhz or DDR410speeds, and your cpu core speed will increase (if you have a 10X multiplier, your new speed will be 10 X 205 = 2050mhz).

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK..FINALLY i think I got it! thanks!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey I got me another question:
What does the "PC3200" (any basic "PC" thingy) and what not mean when you are talking about RAM?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
its the bandwith of the ram, 3.2 gigabytes per second. pc3200 is also called DDR400

• Rep+
Reactions: kagaos

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
mostly just brand. youll be able to find memory like that from a bunch of manufacturers. the patriots timings seems to be barely tighter but both are good. but the patriot comes with a 30 dollar rebate so its only 86 bucks

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds good. I might just go and get that ram then eh?
Is that patriot ram a good combo with this mobo
and the AMD 64 3500+ (socket 939 venice core)?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
yes i think that would make a nice fit, but depending on your budget, can i make a suggestion? depending on what your looking for in a pc, and how long your planning on keeping this pc, i would go for a motherboard with PCI express, instead of AGP (what im stuck with
...)

maybe something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131525

ps thanks for the rep

·
Registered
355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kagaos

That sounds good. I might just go and get that ram then eh?
Is that patriot ram a good combo with this mobo
and the AMD 64 3500+ (socket 939 venice core)?

That should work fine, however, i would recommend getting an amd 64 3200+ as the cores will be the same, the only difference will be the divider, and you could use the extra towards getting a better motherboard, system stability is important for overclocking and gaming.

edit: i would also second opting for the pci express slot if your budget can accept it. That will definitely allow your system to last a lot longer.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jee, idk that mobo has some baad ratings...are you sure about that one?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also...I already bought the 3500+ for 177 shipped on ebay. It took me 2 months to find a processor to fit my needs. Well actually only about 1 week to find it, but about 2 months to find it for cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great board, but not so great price...i was thinking around 60-70 dollars.

EDIT: I am getting a 128mb graphics card from my good friend (game) for $ 25.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
errr....

·
Registered
2,411 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OMG believe it or not, that is the exact same board that i was looking at. I was gonna post it on here. I like the mini atx, and it will fit in my case too! Thanks man!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts