Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I am the original author of this server which served me well from 2009-2017

http://www.overclock.net/t/986327/ok-so-who-needs-a-30tb-server

It is in the process of being decommissioned as I have deployed a new Ryzen 1800X based Server to which will be described in this thread!

50TB (expandable to 66TB)

Ryzen 1800X
Corsair 750D
HX1000i
Crosshair VI Hero
960 PRO m.2
Nvidia Geforcve 8400GS PCi 1X
3x Supermicro RAID cards
G Skill Trident RGB
Corsair H115i
18 ST3000DM008 in sort of a raid with parity using windows storage spaces (it works, been using it for years)
1050Ti
UPDATED PHOTO

Attachments

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,744 Posts
@OP

Does the 750D come with all of those drive cages or did you have to order extras?

·
Politically incorrect
9,452 Posts
Very nice setup. Hopefully this will serve you for years to come. My server is frustrating me, so far I've had to deal with several broken drives and am about to RMA yet another. Fortunately I haven't lost any data this time but still annoying.

What is your average hard disk replacement rate?

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,744 Posts
@Liranan

Are you just unlucky or do you think there might be a fundamental underlying issue? Vibration? Bad power?

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parityboy View Post

@Liranan

Are you just unlucky or do you think there might be a fundamental underlying issue? Vibration? Bad power?
may not be bad power, but lack of amps for the motors.

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSarge View Post

may not be bad power, but lack of amps for the motors.
Could be, but surely that would simply cause the drives to drop off? It shouldn't physically damage the drive, should it?

·
Politically incorrect
9,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parityboy View Post

@Liranan

The authorised Toshiba reseller I usually frequent didn't have any drives in stock at the time so I bought a drive from a less reputable seller and now I'm paying the price for it.

·
Politically incorrect
9,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fg2chase View Post

18 ST3000DM008 in sort of a raid with parity using windows storage spaces (it works, been using it for years)
From what I understand Storage Spaces takes up two thirds of available drive space. That leaves 6 drives for data in an 18 drive array. Am I right in understanding this?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
21,222 Posts
Are you sure you need such a powerful GPU as that to run your server?

biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Upgraded the motherboard today to the Crosshair VI Hero, I like the features of the ROG boards and this thing overclocked my Ryzen to 5GHz right out of the box. The gigabyte board didn't want to overclock at all.

Overall I like the way it turned out. I also ordered a 1050Ti for it too since plex support hardware acceleration now.

·
Politically incorrect
9,452 Posts
From what I've read hardware acceleration leaves a lot to be desired, quality is sub par.

How did you overclock that 1800X to 5GHz? I didn't think that was possible.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115002178853-Using-Hardware-Accelerated-Streaming

Quote:
  • Windows and Linux devices using Intel hardware-accelerated encoding do not have any artificial limit to the number of simultaneous videos.
  • Windows and Linux devices using NVIDIA GeForce graphic cards are limited to hardware-accelerated encoding of 2 videos at a time. This is a driver limitation from NVIDIA.
Only two when the GPU is more capable than the CPU? No thanks.

Edit: I can't find any details on AMD hardware acceleration. Do you know if AMD GPU's are supported? If so I might look into getting one for my server.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts