Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so intels latest socket is the LGA775. I understand that it operates pinless. Does somebody wanna explain to me how that works? I'm kinda curious and I like to know these things!

cheers guys

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah that explains it! prob just a way for intel to make everybody spend more money, they will have a new socket by next week! lol! cheers dude

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
I've heard that it might be a scam on Intel's part to reduce the number of RMA's for processors with bent pins, and instead pass the RMA's on to the motherboard manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Well, the first part of this thread was correct, in regard to the pins being on the mobo, not the processor. The additional pins (775 on LGA775, as opposed to 478 on socket 478) are necessary for current- and next-gen processors, though. Power regulation is still botchy at best w/ Prescott processors on s478, and the effectiveness of LGA775 in this regard is evidenced in cooler running processors, and more consistent power regulation. LGA775 has also allowed for higher clock speeds (3.6 & 3.8 GHz production chips, whereas s478 maxed at 3.4), higher bus speeds, 64-bit extensions, and will continue to pave the way into dual core.

The advent of LGA775 was necessitated by the limitations of s478.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts