Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...they're saying that they just purchased the phone on a new 2-year contract?

I'm just asking this because right now, I'm on Verizon w/ a BlackBerry Curve, and I saw on Best Buy that the new BB Tour is $100 w/ a new 2-year contract.

In theory, can't I just buy the phone, and thus "renew" the current contract, causing me to only pay for the phone itself, and whoever is still footing the monthly phone bill (my parents) to notice no change in the bill?

Thanks in advance!

• Rep+
Reactions: 88EVGAFTW

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
You can only get the 2 year activation discount if your current account is going to expire in one month and your due for a new contract agreement or if you start up a whole new account with a 2 year contract early. You could cancel your current contract but you would have to be the account holder and you would have to pay a ridiculous fine for canceling your contract. You have too sign up for the full two years of the contract to get the phone at the reduced price. What your saying doesn't make much sense to me honestly. So in short
Their would be a huge charge on the bill

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
I usually just wait for the 2 yrs to be over, I can upgrade 2 months before its over. I had to replace the phone once and payd like 240$ for a new one -_-

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, I see. And I just realized that next to the price, it says "$149.99 qualified upgrade price" for current customers, so maybe that's an exception.

I probably won't go for it; I'm waiting for the optical trackballs, and this is justn a temporary twinge of the upgrade bite.

+REP for both of you.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I bought my phone outright. But they usually have to be unlocked versions. You also pay a helluva lot more.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I know that with AT&T you can extend your contract for the 2 extra years and get the phone at the subsidized price.

You should ask if you can do that. If you can, your parents won't see a change to the monthly charges and you'll have your new phone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts