Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be upgrading soon, but right now I have a 750i FTW board in my gaming rig. It will be retiring to be the mainboard in my HTPC soon. But that little fan on the northbridge cooler is pretty loud. Its pretty much the source of all the noise that comes out of my computer. I googled and a few people mentioned a few problems here and there not having it on there. Does the northbridge really get that hot sometimes? Do I really need that little fan?

If so, perhaps there is a more quiet version that someone can suggest?

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
It did get really hot on my 780i board even with fan on
biggrin.gif
. It was OCed though. It's pretty much must if you OC, but it should be OK on stock.

What's the CPU? If it's 45nm Core 2 Duo, you can probably do some OC too.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah e8400 core 2 duo. Overclocked currently to 3.8Ghz. So I guess I'm stuck with the little fan. Is there another one that maybe runs quieter?

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
You can try to get after market 40mm one and attach it there somehow. I remember few even used 120mm ones and attached between CPU cooler, and motherboard's heat pipes using zip ties.

You can probably send an email to EVGA, and ask them if they have a fan left for those boards. They had lifetime warranty after all if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it hasn't really gotten louder over the years. I'd say that its just always been noisy. Its not unbearable, but you can definitely hear it. I'd consider it a pretty bad design flaw in the motherboard. They should have just used bigger passive cooling or sent it out with a much more quiet fan. Although I am beginning to notice a trend here. Small fans are usually noisier than the bigger ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts