Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the specs of an old system I still use from time to time.
AMD Athlon64 3000+ (Venice)
MSI K8N Neo4F nForce 4 motherboard
Inno3d 8600gt
WD 250gb
PQI 1gb ddr400 ram
Generic PSU (Yes I know)
2 optical drives
2 120mm case fans

When I power up the system, all the fans will start spinning but it won't post. No video or anything. Tried the HDD on my newer system and it works. Replaced the video card with a low-profile 7600gs, still won't post. The only thing I haven't checked is the processor, motherboard, and PSU. I'm starting to suspect it's the Generic PSU though. Don't ask me why, this came pre-built I think. So guys, got any ideas?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Have you reset the CMOS yet? Aside from that, Id check out that PSU if its generic, then the board, then the chip.

·
Still on Sandy Bridge
1,375 Posts
^This is the same path I would take.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Try the one in your system?
Worst comes to worst, I have a PSU tester, ofc Id like to get it back at some point

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
across the pacific :\\
if I do that I may just have to get another one, this one was free from Dell

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
If its on with fans going its either dead board, dead cpu or dead ram.

My old ibm netvista p4 system does the same thing. psu, cpu, and ram replaced. so the board was dead for me it's socket 478 so I'm not buying a replacement

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
You can still get 939 parts, but only used from other people or eBay. Ram you should be able to get most places since it's ddr2

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I call mobo, mine died with similar symptoms. It would turn on but wouldn't post, then it would randomly die and turn off after a few.

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NameUnknown
View Post

You can still get 939 parts, but only used from other people or eBay. Ram you should be able to get most places since it's ddr2

The RAM is DDR1
. But it is still sold.

I would try pulling the RAM out one stick at a time, and try each stick individually...in each slot. I had that same board before, and I want to say I had to use slots 2 and 4 to make it work correctly. It was also REALLY picky about memory as well.

And try a FULL CMOS reset. Pull the battery, unplug power, move CMOS jumper, and hold the power button for 10 seconds (with no power connected). Then let it sit over night. There were a LOT of NF4 boards that had to be reset this way.

If not, you could try another DDR1 stick in there that is known to work. If that doesn't work out...then its board or CPU. And at that point it would be better to just replace it with like a Sempron 140 + 785G board. But I would honestly lean more towards the board being faulty. I have YET to kill an AMD chip since their Athlon XP days.

·
Code Monkey
1,851 Posts
I just had the exact same symptoms as you on a Socket 754 ECS 755-A2 with a Sempron 2800+

It was a dead stick of RAM

·
Registered
252 Posts
Does the light on the motherboard come on? I betting its the motherboard, I've had the same thing happen twice with Socket 939 boards. MSI didn't do well in the 939 market.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: Technician found some bloated capacitors on the motherboard. Yep, some people guessed it right. I don't think I'll be able to find any good replacement S939 boards in my place so might just upgrade my office build to an Athlon II X2 with a new psu, board, and ram. Thanks for the replies guys!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts