Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4401

Quote:


I've found myself playing Uno for hours on end (a card game that I used play quite frequently as a child), I've been running down corridors in Doom, throwing punches in Street Fighter II and running from ghosts in Pac-Man. How is that I spend $310 on my XBOX 360 Premium system and find myself addicted to games from many moons ago? The relatively low prices could be one reason, but the nostalgia factor and the genuinely great gameplay of some of those older games is also a huge selling point. But according to Microsoft’s Greg Canessa, the nostalgia factor can be a double-edged sword:

Everything Old is Old Again http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/fe...d=13967&page=1

Quote:


“The problem with nostalgia is that sometimes you have this mental image of how much fun a game was when you played it back in the coin-op days," he says, "but then, nine out of 10 times, when you try it again, it disappoints. You play it for a few minutes and then you're like, okay, I'm kind of sorry I tried it again because I had better memories of it. The truth is the game still kicks butt; it just needs a little updating for the hi-def generation -- maybe tightening up the graphics, maybe adding a background. It's all very subtle and you can even toggle off the upgrades if you want to play the old-school version.â€

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
The reason they were and still are so much fun is because of the simplicity of the gameplay. It's still easy to win, but the high score factor is what gives it that added challenge.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,525 Posts
I agree with the updating part. What would you rather play...Pacman, or Pacman 3D with pretty graphics? As long as the gameplay stays the same and they don't do anything funky with the camera(stays overhead), having fog and pretty trees and semi-transparent ghosts makes no difference to the end gameplay; just makes it prettier getting there, and leaves the option of luring in the new generations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I'd have to disagree... I mean come on, I'd go as far as to say it's better that they look old, because it's a nice change from the new 3D seizure graphics games that everyone plays.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,376 Posts
Most of those older games have rather addictive qualities, so it's no surprise that people still play them. That and the total lack of innovation in today's games (like in Hollywood too).
 

·
I remember when......
Joined
·
3,812 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Kramy

I agree with the updating part. What would you rather play...Pacman, or Pacman 3D with pretty graphics? As long as the gameplay stays the same and they don't do anything funky with the camera(stays overhead), having fog and pretty trees and semi-transparent ghosts makes no difference to the end gameplay; just makes it prettier getting there, and leaves the option of luring in the new generations.

Um, I would rather play the original for cheap than to pay $60 for a high def version of the same game.

There is to much emphasis on graphics and eye candy nowadays and not much on gameplay and fun. Too often we get the same game wrapped in different colors or newer graphics.....but it's the same game you just played. Sometimes there are a few minor differences, but it's the SAME game at it's core.

The video game industry is going the way of Hollywood....lots of fluff, no substance. Don't get me wrong, eye candy is nice.....but there has to be something under it. I mean, would you want to play Lawn Mower 3D just because it looks more real than the real world? You're still just mowing a lawn in a video game......who cares how good it looks?

heck, I still pull out the Atari 7800 and play Asteroids every now and again.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Thumper

Um, I would rather play the original for cheap than to pay $60 for a high def version of the same game.
<snip>

qft
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Man..I remember when Bomberman came out on the Turbo Graphix16. There was nothing better than hooking up the 4 player adapter to give you 5 bombermans running around trying to kill each other. I was dissapointed with later versions of the game that came out on other systems. I think some games should be left alone, and some can use a revamp.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,525 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Thumper

Um, I would rather play the original for cheap than to pay $60 for a high def version of the same game.

There is to much emphasis on graphics and eye candy nowadays and not much on gameplay and fun. Too often we get the same game wrapped in different colors or newer graphics.....but it's the same game you just played. Sometimes there are a few minor differences, but it's the SAME game at it's core.

The video game industry is going the way of Hollywood....lots of fluff, no substance. Don't get me wrong, eye candy is nice.....but there has to be something under it. I mean, would you want to play Lawn Mower 3D just because it looks more real than the real world? You're still just mowing a lawn in a video game......who cares how good it looks?

heck, I still pull out the Atari 7800 and play Asteroids every now and again.......

You also make some valid points, but remaking classics is not the way to improve gameplay; playing classics is only a way to state that the gameplay hasn't improved enough for you to spend your $$$ on new games.

What they really should be doing is creating an arcade games division; tack +$10 on the sales price and then devote a group of developers to remaking classics, all with the option to turn off the 3D graphics or leave them on.
 

·
I remember when......
Joined
·
3,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kramy
You also make some valid points, but remaking classics is not the way to improve gameplay; playing classics is only a way to state that the gameplay hasn't improved enough for you to spend your $$$ on new games.
I think you misunderstood me....I never suggested remaking classics would improve gameplay, my point was actually the exact opposite.....they need to STOP remaking classics and concentrate on new games. There are several good games that are new, or that bring significant new advnacments to the genre. Forza Motorsports, while having similar gameplay (it's a racing simulator, not much to do there) to GT series and it's predecessors, introduced many new features that made it worth my money and showed they were thinking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kramy
What they really should be doing is creating an arcade games division; tack +$10 on the sales price and then devote a group of developers to remaking classics, all with the option to turn off the 3D graphics or leave them on.


Wait, charge $10 more for a game which I already have, so that I have the option of tunring on the fancy graphics or not? No, no, no.....

What they should be doing is working on new ideas, not simply making another GTA clone, or yet another Mario game, or yet another WWII / Veitnam shooter.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,376 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper

...


Wait, charge $10 more for a game which I already have, so that I have the option of tunring on the fancy graphics or not? No, no, no.....

What they should be doing is working on new ideas, not simply making another GTA clone, or yet another Mario game, or yet another WWII / Veitnam shooter.....

Not everyone owns or still has those classic titles. Giving them for free is a cool idea but very impractical.
A Mario Vietnam shooter
, or a Mario Unreal Tournament
, or a Mario Doom, or a Mario RTS
... Everyone loves Mario
.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,525 Posts
We both misunderstood each other apparently.


I meant tack $10 onto the console price. For example, take the Wii with its classic game emulation. It would be smart to get a team of devs remaking some of those and offering them free online. It would be another selling point that would hook in an even wider range of generations.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top