Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old hard drive with win 7 on it and want to reset it to factory settings but when I do so it sais I need install disc.
I don't have the original install disc but have my own and do not have the codes for it. Can I still reset to factory settings?

Thanks in advance.
Paul Brown

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
What OS is the computer running on?
The original one (that you don't have a disk for)?
The new one (that you don't have a key for)?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
You can download a copy of Windows 7 from Microsoft (without a key) and use your key. Just download the Windows version that matches your key.

Your install disk, for which you don't have a key is useless.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbgamer7 View Post

They all have windows 7
In "They all have windows 7", what is They? Computers, Hard drives, or install disks?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In trying to reset the hard drive to factory settings. But when I do it says I need the install disc. I dont have the original install disc for this windows 7 or the codes. What I do habe is an install disc with Windoes 7 and have the codes for that. But they have already been used

·
I fix Stuff
5,417 Posts
Use a keyfinder such as magic jelly bean to pull the key from that hard drive. Upon pulling the key keyfinder should tell you the windows version. perhaps submit a screenshot once you have done this and use paint or similar program to blank the key and specific entries out so they won't mysteriously go missing.

EDIT: main thing to be wary of is if the key has an OEM in it then you might just be boned. OEM keys are only for that one box and if the hard drive is leaving that box to go to another machine then legally you have to reformat with a new key.
Tip: 1 key is good for 32bit or 64bit windows 7 software.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbgamer7 View Post

In trying to reset the hard drive to factory settings. But when I do it says I need the install disc. I dont have the original install disc for this windows 7 or the codes. What I do habe is an install disc with Windoes 7 and have the codes for that. But they have already been used
First off, if you want to "reset the hard drive to factory settings" you just do a reformat. Then the hard drive will be exactly as it left the factory. But I don't think that's what you're really asking how to do. You want to do a clean install of a new copy of Windows 7?

You can do the above with " I do have is an install disc with Windows 7 and have the codes" <---- that disk and it's Key.
Keys can be reused as many times as you want, just "legally" you can't have more than two copies of Windows installed at the same time. After the second install, Windows Authentication will fail and you'll have to authenticate by phone and explain that you only will be using one or two installs.
Also, as Xander points out, If it's an OEM install disk it will probably choke if you try to do the install on anything but the OEM computer.

Or

You can use the key you find with the key finder and a downloaded copy of Windows 7 to do a clean install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts