Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya guys, didn't know what else to call it but anyway, i'm finaly getting adsl but since my mother went out and got it without asking me i'm stuck on 256kb. It's better then 56k yer but anyway, she also got a dodgy one port adsl modem and i think it's either gonna be a one network port or a one usb, more then likely the usb. Anyway i've bin looking for an old opteron or AMD server cpu + board so that i could use that as a download server and such but i cant find any! Do youy think it's a gd idea to make the server comp (when i get one) as the internet connection so that the modem is running off the server and the server shares the internet connection accross the network?

Any help would be sweet! and note i'm getting a new adsl modem soon as well, just i really want an old skool amd server!

Thnx alot guys!

·
Registered
208 Posts
i dont think you really need an opty for that if its just going to be charing the internet "most home routers have 44mhz CPUs", but heh its upto you

http://www.smoothwall.org/

that will do what your looking for, not only internet sharing, but it'll be a file server too, fully configurible

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
your ISP should be able to provide you with an ethernet modem if you request one... i'd spend a few bucks on a decent real router, rather then have to deal with an entire machine that has tons of parts that could fail, that you'd have to keep protected, updated, and secured...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127013

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i wont have the time to get a new router for a while so do u think a 450mhz P3 would be able to handle this..?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil-Mongoose

Well i wont have the time to get a new router for a while so do u think a 450mhz P3 would be able to handle this..?

if a 44mhz cpu can, then a 450mhz can.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
fer crap sake get a router, you can pick up a cheap dlink for less than $40 bucks if you look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.