Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dell 8400's P4 520 CPU just died after a power failure. It's been such a champ all of these years, that I'm going to just replace the CPU. I've read somewhere on the Dell forums that the mobo can use all 5xx and 6x0 CPU's but the 6x0 series are 64-bit, and the current CPU is 32-bit. Is there anything keeping me from upgrading to a 620? If so, are there any other lg755 chips I could upgrade to?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uug, I meant 630 instead of 620, but what do you mean by $400? They're on newegg and google for like $40

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACiD GRiM View Post
My Dell 8400's P4 520 CPU just died after a power failure. It's been such a champ all of these years, that I'm going to just replace the CPU. I've read somewhere on the Dell forums that the mobo can use all 5xx and 6x0 CPU's but the 6x0 series are 64-bit, and the current CPU is 32-bit. Is there anything keeping me from upgrading to a 620? If so, are there any other lg755 chips I could upgrade to?
Do you mean the 775 socket type?

If so then the E5x00 series are great overclockers and can usually be had for about 50 -70 Australian dollars.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpetrolhead View Post
Do you mean the 775 socket type?

If so then the E5x00 series are great overclockers and can usually be had for about 50 -70 Australian dollars.
Most socket 775's that had p4's don't support any 45nm c2d. Otherwise I would have gotten one of those instead of a p4.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpetrolhead
View Post

ok. But technically the E5x00 series isnt a core 2 duo, it is an intel pentium. Dont know if that changes anything.

Sorry, I stated c2d, what I meant was any of the 45nm chips.
depending on board compatibility, the best the board would probably do is 65nm, up to an e6700. The problem with these is that they are overpriced for being outdated, and hard to find.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpetrolhead
View Post

A bios update wont fix it? You would get an enormous increase in speed going to the newer chips.

Nope. Just how it is.

If there were any other way.. I would have done it. I'm not using a stock Dell board either, so the chances of his board doing it when mine couldn't are slim.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts