Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... Xenon (see sig) has stopped working. Simply no post, no video. Tried several cards, a different PSU, shuffled RAM around, ran one stick, re-seated the CPU, etc. No luck.

Any guesses as to what might've happened?

Right before it shut off for good, it was giving me UNSTABLE_MACHINE errors in [email protected] on one of the GSOs. Now it does nothing.

The clincher: all of my music/game DVD backups/pictures/schoolwork is on the RAID 10 array on this machine. I'd really like to get at that stuff.

Any help will be richly rewarded.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Have you tried turning it on with no ram in the slots?
If it doesnt beep when its turned on with no RAM shes dead if it does there is still hope for Xenon

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The motherboard has a small speaker on it it looks round with a little pin hole on top it should beep or not beep when you turn it on(although ive seen mobos with no mini speaker
)

similar to this one

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it doesn't have one, but I found one. No sound. Er.... That's bad, right? It clicked/popped a little bit, but no beep. *sigh*

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
My A8N32 came with a mini speaker that you had to plug in since it doesn't have one made onto the MB itself.
Have you asked about it in this thread?
http://www.overclock.net/amd-general...-official.html

It's possible a MOSFET may have gone out since these boards have a tendency for this to happen. Luckily my A8N32 is still going strong and posting with it right now.

Most say you can't fix it when this happens but I have to say it's possible with the right parts and skill as long as it's nothing more than a bad MOSFET.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, about the mosfet thing... The upper mosfet heatsink was very loose. Could they have overheated and caused an issue? If so, I could just replace the motherboard.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiremaster
View Post

Ok, about the mosfet thing... The upper mosfet heatsink was very loose. Could they have overheated and caused an issue? If so, I could just replace the motherboard.

Sounds like you do have a MOSFET problem if the heatsink was loose. The heatsink must be firmly attached or the MOSFETs will overheat.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by L3gacy
View Post

If its not beeping that is not a good sign hmmm
So it just shut down on its own, like instantly ?

If a MOSFET went out, it won't do anything since the CPU won't get power properly or at all. These are part of the circuit that supplies and regulates power to the CPU.

Wiremaster, you can remove the heatsink and do a visual inspection to confirm the problem. Normally when these go due to overheating, it's obvious to the eye.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It turns on, then sits there for about 15 minutes doing nothing, then shuts off.

Edit: there is no apparent damage to the upper mosfets.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
You could try it with a different CPU if you want but I don't suggest that unless you have one you don't care about such as a Sempron or other low-end chip you'd use for testing.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
As suggested earlier, pull the heatsink and do a visual inspection. If one got too hot, normally you can tell just by looking at it.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
I still suspect one has gone out if the heatsink was loose as you indicated. You could also look at the back of the board where these are soldered in and check for problems there.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiremaster
View Post

Well, shoot. I can't find anything. Is there any way to recover a RAID 10 array on another rig?

I can't answer that since I'm not familiar with RAID setups but I don't see why not if another A8N32 is found and used with all hardware and BIOS settings being the same.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
No prob and good luck.
You can still ask questions in the 939 club thread if you need to.

EDIT: I see Black Omega is in - Maybe he can be of further assistance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts