Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had this board for a while and since my Opty has settled into a very nice and stable 2.8GHz, I am gonna build the NF7 with my kids. What socket A processors are out there that would suit this board (yes... Rev 2).

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
I have that board on my system now. Your best bet for fully utilizing the great features of the board is to get an Athlon XP mobile (XP-M) chip for that board. You will be able to fully adjust the multis, fsb, vcore, etc. with that board and chip combo.

• Rep+
Reactions: CyberDruid

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
PM Xavier1421 and see if he still has the moble socket "A" he was going to sell, they OC very well. I had a 2600m on that MB and hit over 2600MHz. With a good cooler they OC well and usually like less than 1.8v to get there

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Yes, the XP Mobile chips came in several speeds: 2400, 2500 & 2600 at 45watts for laptops. They have unlocked multipliers so they can be twisted with a good mobo bios such as yours.
A decent power supply is needed (400watt should suffice) with over 20A on the 12v rail.
I never could get past 219fsb on my old NF7-S so any ram speed over PC3500 would be overkill. 2 sticks in dual channel will work best. 4 sticks will not work well.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Wow... I can't get my board past 215mhz.....
but the XP-M chips still OC like mad, regardless of the fsb.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Can't get past 215? Have you tried a small divider to keep the ram below 215? I had some KVR that would run up to 215 and no more...so if I overclocked with that ram, I had to run a slight divider to keep it as close to 200~215 as possible.

And yes, I have two XP-M's laying around, both I-steppings (a 2500 and 2600).

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've got a sweet ass 2500+ XP-M I'm at 2484MHZ stable 207x12 (My ram is what's got my FSB so low) 1.7v

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421
View Post

Can't get past 215? Have you tried a small divider to keep the ram below 215? I had some KVR that would run up to 215 and no more...so if I overclocked with that ram, I had to run a slight divider to keep it as close to 200~215 as possible.

And yes, I have two XP-M's laying around, both I-steppings (a 2500 and 2600).

Yea, I tried everything to get that up on my mobo, but nothing seems to work. Doesn't bother me anymore. I've just come to accept it and just use the higher multis.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow... Thanks for all the input! I am excited about this build more than I was for my Opty. Promised the kids this was totally their build. That they didn't have to worry about resetting CMOS or corrupting Windows install at all. They just have to be willing to figure out and fix what gets goofed up along the way. This will be a fun project.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts