Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seem to be residual smears of my ic 7 diamond on the surface of my cpu. Rubbing at it with IPA isn't having an effect, it may as well be the metal itself I'm trying to rub off. Anything I can do?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by auricgoldfinger
View Post

There seem to be residual smears of my ic 7 diamond on the surface of my cpu. Rubbing at it with IPA isn't having an effect, it may as well be the metal itself I'm trying to rub off. Anything I can do?

If it's hardened, then a new razor blade may be used to scrape it off. But this has to be done carefully, just like shaving: hold the razor at a very low angle (almost parallel to the CPU's flat surface), and then push it forward so that the razor's edge can "shave" the TIM off. If the razor is held at too high of an angle, then it might feel like the corners of the blade are trying to dig into the IHS. So try to get as low of an angle as possible while still being able to perform the task.

When I upgraded to the EP45-UD3P, I had to remove thermal paste that had been applied for about 2 solid years. The paste was thoroughly hardened, but most of it was removed with the 91% Isopropyl Alcohol (or, IPA I suppose) that I happen to have. When I couldn't complete the job, I was trying to figure out how to "shave off" the rest; so that's when I got the idea to use a razor.
The end result was a perfectly clean appearance that felt perfectly clean as well.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Nope. And there is no need to do anything. IC Diamond fills in those little nooks and crannies for good. Congrats. You now have a much flatter surface on your IHS.

The only way to remove those stains would be to lap the CPU.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts