Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
i'm upgrading my old loop to new skylake setup and wondering if i can save my old wb xspc raystorm(first release) with new lga 1151 socket.

i ask cause i've tried to apply old backplate for 1155 and 1156,this one:

but it seems to touch some of the pins on the back of the board.

strange is that if i go to the xspc site and search the manual of the new raystorm(v3),
in the manual the picture of the backplate for the 1151 is the same:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/51998404e4b0ef02d1bd9c2c/t/56309734e4b0b0dc3b76648b/1446025012595/raystorm-pro-intel.pdf

so i wonder if is a problem just of asus maximus VIII hero board,
or the new backplate is different and they not changed the pic in the guide,
or whatelse.

any idea?
i'm a bit confused.
wheee.gif

·
Registered
210 Posts
My guess would be no, it isn't compatible. You might be able to buy the newer backplate though, at least in theory. I would contact them and ask if they have a newer backplate for sale that will work with 1151. Just my two cents, good luck and hope everything works out!

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
I have not seen or heard of any 1151 specific backplates for any of the major CPU blocks.

The new XSPC Raystorm Pro seems to use the same backplate. Generally when there is a new socket the block makers make new mount systems available for their blocks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
exactly,
the problem is that it seems the same but touch some of mobo back pins(asap i'll take some pics).

so until someone with same mobo and wb or xspc company itself tell where is the truth,we'll never know.

in any case i think i'll solve this problem my way....DREMEL.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Thats the way mate, just fix problems. I was going to suggest just insulating the plate but trimming it is even better as long as you don't go over board:thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts