Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to the community and this is my first post here.

I just performed a clean install of windows 7, and everything seems to be in order except that Rome Total War + Barbarian Invasion, and Fear Gold + Extraction Point + Perseus Mandate won't work.

I was able to install both of them (after a bit of trouble and going through other workarounds), but after trying to launch them they just close. There is no dialogue box that displays an error, just the programs closing.

If anybody has an idea why this would be happening, please enlighten me. Thanks guys!

·
/╲/( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\
6,197 Posts
You could try to find the the .exe's and set them to work in "compatibility mode" for xp or something.

Oh, and Welcome

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
If this happened to me, then I would do this:
  1. Re-install the game. But before installing, I would do this:
    • Open the contents of the CD and right-click on every .exe and .msi. For each one, I would choose Properties > Compatibility tab > check the box and then choose like Windows 98, 2000 or Windows XP.
  2. Then after it finished installing and after I rebooted, I would make sure that all of the game's .exe's are in the same Compatibility Mode (they should be, but this isn't always the case even though it was installed in that Compatibility Mode).
  3. After that, I'd try to run the game again to see what happens.
Unfortunately, older games and programs like this may need a few attempts in order to try different Compatibility Modes. But one of the Compatibility Modes might make it work. But if not, then it could mean that you will have to do a dual-boot in order to keep the previous version of Windows around just so you can play those games.

·
/╲/( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\
6,197 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
If this happened to me, then I would do this:
  1. Re-install the game. But before installing, I would do this:
    • Open the contents of the CD and right-click on every .exe and .msi. For each one, I would choose Properties > Compatibility tab > check the box and then choose like Windows 98, 2000 or Windows XP.
  2. Then after it finished installing and after I rebooted, I would make sure that all of the game's .exe's are in the same Compatibility Mode (they should be, but this isn't always the case even though it was installed in that Compatibility Mode).
  3. After that, I'd try to run the game again to see what happens.
Unfortunately, older games and programs like this may need a few attempts in order to try different Compatibility Modes. But one of the Compatibility Modes might make it work. But if not, then it could mean that you will have to do a dual-boot in order to keep the previous version of Windows around just so you can play those games.
Yea this ^^^

Its 1:30am here, and I'm mad tired. You're explanation > anything I could write at this point. lol

·
Registered
590 Posts
No need to install them in compatability mode, just right lcikc on the shortcut and and go to the compatability tad and select run this program in compatability / Windows XP sp3. That being said, FEAR works without doing that for me in windows 7.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by W4LNUT5 View Post
Yea this ^^^

Its 1:30am here, and I'm mad tired. You're explanation > anything I could write at this point. lol
5-hour Energy FTW!!! Woo-hoo!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlchavis0844 View Post
No need to install them in compatability mode, just right lcikc on the shortcut and and go to the compatability tad and select run this program in compatability / Windows XP sp3. That being said, FEAR works without doing that for me in windows 7.
I am having trouble remembering specifics, but I remember I needed to actually install something in Compatibility Mode because choosing the Compatibility Mode after the installation wasn't cutting it.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlchavis0844 View Post

this.

Also, if that doesn't work, you could install your old os in VM ware and try to play games from there... just a thought.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varjo View Post
this.

Also, if that doesn't work, you could install your old os in VM ware and try to play games from there... just a thought.
Wait a sec.. I thought that games don't run/work in a virtual machine.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Wait a sec.. I thought that games don't run/work in a virtual machine.
The newer versions of VMWare support 3D acceleration (DX9?) to a degree, but it is pretty slow. Low spec/2D games should run fine though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I wasn't expect to get replies already lol

I already tried running all of the games in compatibility mode for Xp SP3 but they won't work due to the same issue. I'll try installing them while in compatibility mode and see if that makes a difference.

I should also mention that I'm running 64-bit 7.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varjo View Post
this.

Edit: I found some info in another thread located here:
http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/15...ont-start.html

Could that be part of the issue?

What's VM ware? I could look it up but I'm confident you could offer a better explanation

·
/╲/( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\
6,197 Posts
VMWare in itself is easy to setup. But setting up the DirectX 9 is a *****. I have never successfully done it because no matter what I try, I always don't have the right permissions to edit one damn file. And no matter what I try, I cannot change the permissions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok guys, i didn't reinstall them yet but i have some hope since it turns out that FEAR multiplayer works (even though the single player and expansions don't).

Here's what it gives me:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name:APPCRASH
Application Name:FEAR.exe
Application Version:1.8.282.0
Application Timestamp:00000000
Fault Module Name:FEAR.exe
Fault Module Version:1.8.282.0
Fault Module Timestamp:00000000
Exception Code:c0000005
Exception Offset:005fa70a
OS Version:6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID:1033
Additional Information 1:b5d2
Additional Information 2:b5d2371a69df4c11987281c82ff3cb47
Additional Information 3:3b01
Additional Information 4:3b01dfb03e1946ee8f2543e2e0677eda

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\\Windows\\system32\\en-US\\erofflps.txt

Any idea what this means?

·
Premium Member
6,999 Posts
All F.E.A.Rs work fine for me on my sig rig without even running them in admin mode or compatibility mode. You did install the games in Program Files (x86) right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel View Post
All F.E.A.Rs work fine for me on my sig rig without even running them in admin mode or compatibility mode. You did install the games in Program Files (x86) right?
Ya

C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Sierra\\FEAR

I'm starting to think that I should reformat...

NO! not after 3 days of installing games and making configurations.

Something isn't right here, and I can't figure it out.

·
4GHz
1,767 Posts
Limiting the amount of RAM your computer sees has helped on some older games. Go into msconfig, go to the boot tab, hit advanced options, check Maximum Memory, and see it to 2048 (2GB of System RAM and the 1GB from the GPUs will have it at a total of 3GB, safe under the x86 limit).

Installing the games in Program Files or Program Files (x86) shouldn't make a difference at all. Install it in X:\\System32\\Games (x128)\\ for all it matters

Or try running the games with CF disabled.

If all else fails, you could force exceptions on these games on DEP (Data Execution Prevention). To do that, you need to bring up the system window click Advanced System Settings from the sidebar on the left, click the settings button under Performance, go to the DEP tab, and check Turn on DEP for everything except the programs I select, then add said games.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DEC_42
View Post

Limiting the amount of RAM your computer sees has helped on some older games. Go into msconfig, go to the boot tab, hit advanced options, check Maximum Memory, and see it to 2048 (2GB of System RAM and the 1GB from the GPUs will have it at a total of 3GB, safe under the x86 limit).

Installing the games in Program Files or Program Files (x86) shouldn't make a difference at all. Install it in X:\\System32\\Games (x128)\\ for all it matters

Or try running the games with CF disabled.

If all else fails, you could force exceptions on these games on DEP (Data Execution Prevention). To do that, you need to bring up the system window click Advanced System Settings from the sidebar on the left, click the settings button under Performance, go to the DEP tab, and check Turn on DEP for everything except the programs I select, then add said games.

Thanks much for the suggestions!

A couple of questions though... If I set the max memory to 2gb will it be enough to stably run the game and background processes? I know windows 7 is less of a hog than vista, but i've learned to be suspicious of microsoft.

Also, will the DEP thing affect any other programs and I can I just leave it on permenantly? If it works, that is. If so, I would just leave the settings that way so that I don't have to keep going back and changing settings.

I tried reinstalling the game with the install files in compatibility mode, and it still gave me this error:

------------------------------

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name:APPCRASH
Application Name:FEAR.exe
Application Version:1.8.282.0
Application Timestamp:00000000
Fault Module Name:FEAR.exe
Fault Module Version:1.8.282.0
Fault Module Timestamp:00000000
Exception Code:c0000005
Exception Offset:005fa70a
OS Version:6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID:1033
Additional Information 1:b5d2
Additional Information 2:b5d2371a69df4c11987281c82ff3cb47
Additional Information 3:3b01
Additional Information 4:3b01dfb03e1946ee8f2543e2e0677eda

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\\Windows\\system32\\en-US\\erofflps.txt

------------------------------

I have a feeling that if I can figure out what this error means, it'll be the key to my problems. Perhaps I should check out the microsoft help forums? It seems to be their problem haha.

I'm running windows 7 professional, so would running the stock VM of XP SP3 that comes stock be effective for dx9 games (such as fear)?

Thanks for all of your help by the way guys, and i really want to figure this out as you all can see haha

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I was having similar problems, here's how I fixed it.

Right click on the game's exe or its shortcut.
Click "Compatibility Troubleshooter"
Run the troubleshooter, just follow along with the wizard, and if the game works, accept the settings.

This has worked for me and gotten older games working that were formerly inoperable.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by W4LNUT5
View Post

You could try to find the the .exe's and set them to work in "compatibility mode" for xp or something.

Oh, and Welcome

Yeah, TwoCables is notorious for long detailed explanations. This is why we love him.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Weird, because even older games such as SimCity 2000 will run on Windows 7........x64

1 - 20 of 30 Posts