Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old dell laptop that I would like to dual boot linux onto. I would like to keep the system recovery boot partition also if in all possible.
I didnt get a disk with the laptop so the recovery has saved me in the past.

The system specs are

intel core 2 t5600 1.83 ghz processor
1.0 gb ram
105 gb hard drive with like 90 gb free.

Let me know what distros you guys think would run the best. Looking to learn linux and havent really used it in the past.

Messed with unbuntu alittle so far just to get used to it but from a buddy i talked to he recommended mint 12 I just dunno if this old computer would run it smoothly or not.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
In the Linux world that isn't really considered "older".

"Older" would be something along the lines of a Pentium III with 256mb of ram.

Stay away from Gnome 3 and KDE and you should be able to run any distro. My personal recommendation is Xubuntu, which I switched to after I realized that the stock configuration is pretty much exactly how I set Xfce up in Arch, which saves me a lot of time
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post

You should be able to make one from within the OS. HP/Dell both provide their own programs to make them, also you can ask for a set from the company where your laptop came from and they will provide them free of charge.

As for distro, any should do. But being me, I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu/Mint or any other distro that gives you everything and anything (which can be good and bad, in this case I would lean more towards the bad side). Barebones distro's give you full control. So the option is up to you which way you want to go. My laptop's run on about 60MB of RAM while in the X server, and rarely peek at around 300MB with some heavy web browsing / teminals open, where as Ubuntu will normally start at around 500MB or so and probably a little more with the newest version, but can be tweaked to use less. Just takes more work.

I would advise to stay away from Gnome 3.0 and KDE. Maybe start with XFCE/LMDE/Gnome 2.0 as a Window Manager

So if you want to start with ubuntu or mint or fedora or and other those, try to find one with a xfce/lmde spin ISO that way you dont have to deal with installing it after you've installed.

Just a quick example,

Fedora's spin page, with different base WM/DE's
http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post

I have an old dell laptop that I would like to dual boot linux onto. I would like to keep the system recovery boot partition also if in all possible.
The system specs are
intel core 2 t5600 1.83 ghz processor
1.0 gb ram
105 gb hard drive with like 90 gb free.
Let me know what distros you guys think would run the best. Looking to learn linux and havent really used it in the past.
Messed with unbuntu alittle so far just to get used to it but from a buddy i talked to he recommended mint 12 I just dunno if this old computer would run it smoothly or not.
If you want to learn Linux then I'd definitely recommend Arch. It's easy to learn on and installs a lean system so is very well suited for older hardware.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicalfan View Post

Once you've found your feet, Arch will really plunge you into it, not for the faint-hearted!
Arch is for the faint-hearted
wheee.gif

LFS/Gentoo on the other hand... those aren't for the faint-hearted
devil.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts