Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hardware Gearhead
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been rocking a Cooler Master Silent Hybrid Pro 850w for that last... 5-6 years. Always been on a ups and kept below 700w. No problems with it.

I have just started to upgrade and was wondering about the longevity of PSUs. I know the SHP was one of the best psus Cooler Master built back in the day.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
I would look at swapping it out if you can afford to, there's no reason why it would blow out but at the same time if it is hitting the 6 year mark the guess is how long does it have left, if you're in the process of upgrading everything else makes sense to upgrade the part that can make and break a computer, plus then you've got a spare if the new one doesn't cut the mustard.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,792 Posts
Voltage regulation and ripple suppression on the PSU you have was was good back in day but today things have improved a ton
While 1,7% and 50mv on the 12v is not bad its not all that great when the best today are doing less then 0.5% and 20mv

It only had a 5 year warranty to begin with so i say replace it
Your PSU is only rated for 40c for some reason while almost everything today is rated for 50c

Edit: by the way Cooler Master did not build your PSU Enhance Electronics did

·
Hardware Gearhead
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Voltage regulation and ripple suppression on the PSU you have was was good back in day but today things have improved a ton
While 1,7% and 50mv on the 12v is not bad its not all that great when the best today are doing less then 0.5% and 20mv

It only had a 5 year warranty to begin with so i say replace it
Your PSU is only rated for 40c for some reason while almost everything today is rated for 50c

Edit: by the way Cooler Master did not build your PSU Enhance Electronics did
I know they didnt build it, and many brands have sub companies building for them.

Thanks for the replies. Probably will end up getting an RM750i or something.

EDIT: Does Silverstone still make good PSUs? If i wanted to reuse my custom sleeved cables, they are the only ones with a 1 to 1 24 pin on the psu. Corsair is that 18+10 connector.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,792 Posts
The Seasonic Focus Plus and Prime Ultra are better and in the case of the Focus Plus often cost less so dont bother with the RMi
Second unless you already have or have plans for SLI or Crossfire you dont need 750 watt or more its way overkill for a single GPU system

And last no SilverStone is about the most mediocre brand out there when it comes to PSU´s and they dont have anything worth buying these days

1 - 5 of 5 Posts